Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: James Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Not sure why he isn't an automatic pick in our team ATM. He is hands down the leader of our attack in all formats. Although him being the leader is pretty much like when Vanburn Holder was leading the WI attack in the early 70s after Hall/Griffith retired, which kind of gives you an idea of how average the pace stocks are with ENG right now.

But i expect to see Anderson improving though, i reckon he could by the end of his career he'll be a better test bowler than Hoggard.
    There is no leader except when Flintoff plays/played. He's just another bowler, who happens to be completely innocuous most of the time.

Being a better Test bowler than Hoggard isn't saying much. One of the most over-rated bowlers ever. Another guy who was a luxury bowler, good at certain times but a complete waste of time otherwise. The difference is Hoggard was bowled sparingly when the ball did nothing, something which doesn't happen with Anderson because at present he's one of only three seamers.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

International Captain
    Such is the paucity of fast bowlers in England some people are fooled into thinking the likes of Anderson are quality bowlers - especially when placed along side fodder like Onions.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    I was just watching Anderson bowl with my young bloke on the lounge. As another innocuous wide half-tracker went past, my 7 year old said "Aw, that's pus".

Out of the mouths of babes.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Anderson isn't an outstanding test fast bowler but there isn't many of them going about anywhere in the world these days would get in most test sides especially England's.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    There is no leader except when Flintoff plays/played. He's just another bowler, who happens to be completely innocuous most of the time.

Being a better Test bowler than Hoggard isn't saying much. One of the most over-rated bowlers ever. Another guy who was a luxury bowler, good at certain times but a complete waste of time otherwise. The difference is Hoggard was bowled sparingly when the ball did nothing, something which doesn't happen with Anderson because at present he's one of only three seamers.
    One of the reasons why England will need to play 5 bowlers on most occasions IMO.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Such is the paucity of fast bowlers in England some people are fooled into thinking the likes of Anderson are quality bowlers - especially when placed along side fodder like Onions.
    Onions is better I reckon.

Onions>Anderson>Broad.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post

Onions>Anderson>Broad.
    We'll see. Too early to make that call.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Onions>Anderson>Broad.
    Ha no way man. Anderson is much better than Onions even when both get bowler friendly conditions. Onions ATS doesn't look like he would have much effect on flat surfaces which would make a easy meat on most overseas pitches. Anderson at least potentially has reverse swing the swing.

Plus dont lets even go to ODIs..

Not sure how he better than Broad. Sidebottom if/when fit is better than Onions also.
    Last edited by aussie; 17-12-2009 at 08:52 AM.

Yes that is true. But you seem to ignorning how much Anderson has progressed since last winter & ATM is no long "inocuous", he is the leader of the attack. Whether is a WC new-ball bowler is not relevant.

Being a better Test bowler than Hoggard isn't saying much.
    Being better than Hoggard at his peak when he learnt to reverse swing the ball between IND 05/06 to NZ 07 would be ATS. Since it would prove Anderson is continuing to improve as a bowler.

One of the most over-rated bowlers ever. Another guy who was a luxury bowler, good at certain times but a complete waste of time otherwise.
    The difference is Hoggard was bowled sparingly when the ball did nothing, something which doesn't happen with Anderson because at present he's one of only three seamers.
    Not sure how Hoggard is overated TBH. He rated just fairly last i checked.

But back to your point here, as i said above this changed for Hoggard in IND 05/06 when he learnt to reverse swing the ball which enabled him to take that 6 wicket haul in Nagpur 06 & the 7 wicket haul in Adelaide. You forgot how he owned Sehwag technically?.

He was no longer just used with new-ball & hidden away until the next new-ball was available.

Anderson/Onions >>>>>> Broad.
    For the first two it depends on conditions IMO.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    We'll see. Too early to make that call.
    Nah, you can definitely make a call at this stage. There's just a good chance you'll get it wrong .

Personally, I think Onions almost always looks more likely to take a wicket than Anderson. He's unproven, but that doesn't mean he's not good.

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Ha no way man. Anderson is much better than Onions even when both get bowler friendly conditions. Onions ATS doesn't look like he would have much effect on flat surfaces which would make a easy meat on most overseas pitches. Anderson at least potentially has reverse swing the swing.

Plus dont lets even go to ODIs..

Not sure how he better than Broad. Sidebottom if/when fit is better than Onions also.
    Onions has comprehensively outbowled Anderson so far in his short Test career. It is also backed up by stats (Onions average about 4-5 runs per wicket less in the games they've both played). I don't think anyone could say Onions has been flattered by the figures he's gotten so far, he was very unlucky yesterday in his first spell. He bowled better than Anderson at Birmingham, Onions took some huge wickets and Anderson just came in afterwards to mop up the lower middle order who were fresh to the crease and under pressure.

Code:
    Anderson      Onions
    22.0-6-70-2   21.3-3-102-7 v West Indies  Lord's 
    42.3-10-125-9 24.0-6-98-3  V West Indies  Chester-le-Street
    42.0-9-141-4  20.0-1-91-3  v Australia	  Lord's	
    45.0-15-127-6 35.4-5-132-5 v Australia	  Birmingham
    18.0-3-89-0   22.0-5-80-2  v Australia	  Leeds
    37.0-9-104-1  30.0-5-86-3  v South Africa Centurion
    If Onions actually got the new ball, like he should do and as Anderson does, his figures would be better still. He is a consistently good bowler. Anderson is a mediocre bowler who happens to be pretty one-dimensional and mercurial.

aussie you haven't backed up your Anderson love/Onions hate with any facts. Less said about your reverse swing comments the better.
    Last edited by Scaly piscine; 17-12-2009 at 09:30 AM.

Onions has comprehensively outbowled Anderson so far in his short Test career. It is also backed up by stats (Onions average about 4-5 runs per wicket less in the games they've both played). I don't think anyone could say Onions has been flattered by the figures he's gotten so far, he was very unlucky yesterday in his first spell. He bowled better than Anderson at Birmingham, Onions took some huge wickets and Anderson just came in afterwards to mop up the lower middle order who were fresh to the crease and under pressure.

Code:
    Anderson      Onions
    22.0-6-70-2   21.3-3-102-7 v West Indies  Lord's 
    42.3-10-125-9 24.0-6-98-3  V West Indies  Chester-le-Street
    42.0-9-141-4  20.0-1-91-3  v Australia	  Lord's	
    45.0-15-127-6 35.4-5-132-5 v Australia	  Birmingham
    18.0-3-89-0   22.0-5-80-2  v Australia	  Leeds
    37.0-9-104-1  30.0-5-86-3  v South Africa Centurion
    This is some serious stats picking here. Who cares if Onions ran through a joke WI team in early season ENG conditions & bowled better than vs Anderson.

Thats like saying Richard Johnson was better than Harmison in 2003 because he ran through ZIM in seaming conditions.

Anderson & Onions where even in Ashes when the ball was swinging during those 3 tests. When it wasn't swinging both were less effective but at least Anderson was more economical.

If Onions actually got the new ball, like he should do and as Anderson does, his figures would be better still. He is a consistently good bowler.
    Totally disagree Onions would be better if he got the new ball. Both would be equal in such circumstances ATM.

Anderson is a mediocre bowler who happens to be pretty one-dimensional and mercurial.
    Haa really its either you have not been watching Anderson bowl over the past year in tests. Since Anderson has clearly moved up a step (not fully as yet) from a one-dimentional bowler who is solely effective in bowler friendly conditions.

aussie you haven't backed up your Anderson love/Onions hate with any facts.
    Haa. I have NO love or hate for either of them. I just rate/respect Anderson based on how he has clearly improved in the past year & rate Onions to date has only effective in seamer friendly conditons. Simple.

Less said about your reverse swing comments the better.
    Anderson clearly can reverse swing the ball & Hoggard certainly did i dont know what you have been/where watching yo..

You ought to go & look back at the Trinidad test vs WI this winter during Anderson's spell in the final innings.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Nah, you can definitely make a call at this stage. There's just a good chance you'll get it wrong .

Personally, I think Onions almost always looks more likely to take a wicket than Anderson. He's unproven, but that doesn't mean he's not good.
    No, but it doesn't mean he is good either.

FTR I do rate Onions but I won't be calling him better than any of our bowlers after just six Tests. And I find Scaly's assessment of the first innings at Edgbaston to be slightly revisionist, also why do we have to ignore the fact that Anderson won us the Lord's Test?

Was Anderson bollocks on a par with Onions in the Ashes. Onions gets SEAM and SWING. Not a huge amount but enough. He also has a pretty effective bouncer. Onions is a far more consistent threat, albeit expensive because he's very attacking/bowls very straight. Anderson is expensive because he's erratic mostly and is only threatening when it swings.

Onions will outperform Anderson 80-90% of the time. It's when there's lethal swing that Anderson can be more threatening - but that's not enough to compensate. Onions is clearly the better bowler from what has happened so far.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information