• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

James Anderson

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I always knew Anderson had a lot of talent in him and would ultimately deliver the goods. Have always backed him.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I know I made posts saying if we were going to win the Ashes that Anderson would play a considerable part in it.
Reasonable enough call - saved us one match and did the work that set us on our way to winning at Lord's.

Not many people expected Broad to be our top wicket-taker tbf

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I dont trust Anderson based on his action. I know Ive been saying it for years but he just cant be consistent. Onions has a far steadier action and I was really impressed from the first time I saw him.
Not making any comments of my own. However, didn't you say that the problem with Jimmeh was that his head went down went he bowled and this is just what Onions does too.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Reasonable enough call - saved us one match and did the work that set us on our way to winning at Lord's.

Not many people expected Broad to be our top wicket-taker tbf
I picked it, as you can see here:

Posted by Son of Coco: May 15th 2009

I expect the overtly manly looking Stuart Broad to stand up when it's counted and take the most wickets for England in this Ashes series. I have always rated him
Wow! :cool:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't go back quite far enough to have seen him in his pomp, but The Guardian's Paul Weaver says he sees something of Jon Snow in Onions's action, except that the latter loses a bit of momentum in his gather.

High praise indeed as Snowy was probably the best quick we produced since FST.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I don't go back quite far enough to have seen him in his pomp, but The Guardian's Paul Weaver says he sees something of Jon Snow in Onions's action, except that the latter loses a bit of momentum in his gather.

:laugh:. Oh my who is the idiot @ the Guardian??

The many video highlights i have see of John Snow, comparing Onions to him in away is more of disrespect of one the greatest fast-bowlers to play for our country - rather than any praise for Onions. My word :-O

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, interesting comparison. Not sure I see it but maybe he is looking at different aspects of the action than I am.

Snow was really loose limbed. Onions seems stiffer and more mechanical.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member

I assume they mean Jon Snow the Channel 4 news reader rather than John Snow the cricketer.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Not making any comments of my own. However, didn't you say that the problem with Jimmeh was that his head went down went he bowled and this is just what Onions does too.
I dont see the similarities.
There aren't many similarities between their actions, but Manee's right, Onions does drop his head in the same way Anderson does.
And, AFAIK, that is the reason that you doubt Anderson's ability to ever be consistent.
Ok, lets go through this. Anderson will never be consistent because he pulls his head down. This mean his body is going in different directions at the point of delivery.

What Onions does isnt quite so pronounced but it is there. However, it has a crucial difference. Onions is still going in straight lines. His head doesnt unbalance him like Anderson's does. His head pulls him towards the batsman. Anderson's head pulls him towards the slips.

The head is heavy and Anderson pays the price with his consistency with what he does with his. Would I prefer Onions to keep his head up when he bowls? Sure. It would probably help his length. However, what Anderson does hurts both his line and length. It is a far greater issue.

Their head faults are not comparable.

Last edited:

FBU

International Debutant
Wasim Akram said that Anderson doesn't look at the batsman when he delivers but it doesn't matter as he keeps his head still.

Anderson has said that he has tried bowling with his head up but the ball just floats out. Pollock also used to bowl with his head down.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd say it takes a fair bit of brass neck TBH to say that there weren't people saying <such and such> then claim it's someone else's responsibility to show otherwise.
Our society in my experience is built on the premise of "if you make a claim it's your responsibility to prove it", not "if you make a claim it's someone else's responsibility to disprove it". Especially if disproving it involves showing that something does not exist, as it's essentially impossible to show thus, on the basis that said something can always be elsewhere.
It's fun talking to you Richard, the obnoxious way you address people will stand you in good stead for years to come. Although I have to take someone who has actually met you's word on this and take it as fact that you're actually not like this in person.
Oh, I'm not, mostly - but addressing obnoxiously has its place and time.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I had done, several times, and had also examined his figures. Honestly, he looked anything but a county-standard bowler until 2009.
He didn't look too bad prior to 2009 though. I saw him in a few OD matches and he looked to have more speed than the other bowlers in the game and he seemed to beat the bat more often; common signs of a bowler being at or above the level he is playing.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Not County standard until 2009? =/ That's basically saying he was on a similar level to James Anyon until 2009, despite the fact that Onions took 51 wickets at 31 in 06, 45 at 33 in 07 and 25 at 26 in 2008; failing to see how he's only just become county standard tbh. Those aren't the statistics of a bowler who wasn't even County standard, especially considering he was taking decent hauls of wickets for a County with one of the best groups of fast bowlers in the Country.