• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is more valuable to a ODI side?

Hoppy1987

U19 Debutant
A decent batsman who can score at 80+ s/r or a bowler who can keep e/r of -3.5 and take 2 or more wickets a game?

Just looking for opinions on what type of player wins more games??

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Given the above descriptions, the bowler every time. The bowler you listed is going to average less than 18 and go for 35 runs off a maxium 10 overs. That's extremely impressive and would be much more valuable than someone scoring 40 off 50 balls every game, IMO.

Hoppy1987

U19 Debutant
Given the above descriptions, the bowler every time. The bowler you listed is going to average less than 18 and go for 35 runs off a maxium 10 overs. That's extremely impressive and would be much more valuable than someone scoring 40 off 50 balls every game, IMO.
ok so what about say the worlds best bowler v worlds best batsman?

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've simmed something like that. The team of batsmen always win because bowlers just can't get the runs on the board and there's very handy bowling from some Batsmen e.g. Hick/Ganguly/Tendulkar and so on.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I've simmed something like that. The team of batsmen always win because bowlers just can't get the runs on the board and there's very handy bowling from some Batsmen e.g. Hick/Ganguly/Tendulkar and so on.
I reckon Pollock and Flintoff would score a few runs against an attack full of batsmen. Kallis would probably get them out eventually though.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But if you want some good all time bowlers, you're looking at the likes of McGrath, Walsh, Ambrose who quite frankly can't bat really. The bowling team basically just doesn't get enough runs on the board.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
But if you want some good all time bowlers, you're looking at the likes of McGrath, Walsh, Ambrose who quite frankly can't bat really. The bowling team basically just doesn't get enough runs on the board.
I was thinking more in terms of current players, not all-time ones. The game would be fairly close IMO.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
A better question would probably have been to compare the batsman to a bowler with an ER of 3.5 but takes a wicket once every couple of matches. I'd still take the bowler though.

pup11

International Coach
Looking at the way Aussies have put up tons of runs on the board (before the WC) and still they went on to lose those games, that pretty clearly states that no matter how well the batsmen bat if the bowlers don't give a decent performance to back their batsmen's efforts then the team would eventually lose.

simmy

International Regular
I'd take the bowler cos they will get 10 overs in. A batsman can go first ball. It sounds obvious but even the best players fail every now and again.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Unrelated really, but do you have to pay for these simming programmes, or would I be able to download one for free (legally) ?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The bowler described by the OP would quite easily be the best ODI bowler of all time, I think it's worth noting...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Unrelated really, but do you have to pay for these simming programmes, or would I be able to download one for free (legally) ?
There are a number of freeware sim programs. The best ones for FC/test cricket do cost money, but you can download some really good one day programs that cost you nothing - like the one Neil is making! :p

Virtual Cricket 4 is pretty decent for FC/test stuff as well, and it's free.