• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Ross Taylor The Future?

maheshprasad

Cricket Spectator
Well,I certainly think that he is going to be the best batsman of the future,may be 7 years from now.Share your opinion

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just as likely to be some unknown Pakistani or Aussie we've never even heard of yet.

7 years is a ridiculously long time. Taylor will probably be good, yes, but best in The World? In 7 years? That's a guess no-one can make with any remote pretence of accuracy.

simmy

International Regular
He reminds me of Ally Cook and I think both have the potential to be leading players in 7 years time. Saying that, Richard's point is perfectly valid IMO

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
In what way does he remind you of Cook?

Not having a go at you - just wondering, as I can't see many similarities at all other than them being young and batsmen.

open365

International Vice-Captain
I think he's already NZ's best batsman, and will go on to become their all time greatest.

I could imagine him being in the top 5 in the world.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bowman clearly meant right now not of all-time.

And such a suggestion - in ODIs - is quite reasonable IMO.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
He's great to watch, but personally, I think his tendency to swing across the line when he's faced a few dots will get him in trouble, especially if it carries over to test cricket. (which going on his FC record it probably does.)

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Undoubtedly the best of New Zealand's next generation of batsmen, and arguably the most exciting batting prospect to have emerged anywhere in the last year. Looks a bit suspect when he plays the hook but otherwise has few weaknesses besides a tendency to try and push the run rate too early in his innings.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
The FUTURE is that which has not happened yet.

So NO, Ross Taylor is NOT the FUTURE.

But he will take part in the FUTURE!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The way he has come into the game and taken control so easily reminds me of how Michael Clarke came onto the scene. Some players take years to get used to international cricket but Taylor seems like he's been around for years and he's only 23.

Although, Taylor was not rated as NZ's #1 prospect. Jesse Ryder was, but Taylor has jumped way ahead because of his maturity really. Ryder has alot of on-going problems such as fitness and attitude and he's suffered because of it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't forget, though, Clarke was up-and-down for a fair while at the start of his ODI career.