• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is the Hussey magic over?

pup11

International Coach
I feel real pain putting up this debate because i am huge fan of Huss, but off-late his form has tailed off from the SCG game against England (which Aussies lost) in the CB Series (barring his hundred in 2nd C-H Trophy game).

Yesterday Ian Chappell was also saying that though he is a good player he isn't as good as his stats suggest, and now he would get sorted a bit by other teams. I hope Hussey proves his critics wrong quickly.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Sorry, but anyone who thinks that Hussey is gone needs a brain scan. Form is temporary, Class is eternal. Hussey will make many more 100s for Australia in both forms of the game.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know if he'll retain his average (in both forms of the game), but he is a class batsmen and will continue to do very well.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I guess, but I am 100% sure that he'll get another Test 100 for Australia, barring serious injury or something like that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Purely and simply, this had to happen sometime.

I'm glad it may be, TBH - I didn't really want a Bradman-the-2nd-coming, nor did I want Hussey to supersede Bevan. However, to date his ODI average is still better than Bevan and to date his Test downfall has not started.

Let's just wait and see. It's only 8 or 9 innings.

DCC_legend

International Regular
It's probably just a minor form slump.
I agree that his average will not remain in the 80's and will probably be around the mid 50's when his career finishes.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
the fact we have made six straight scores over 300 suggests something, he's not actually having to make runs lately, he's coming in with not long left in the innings, sure he could have done a bit better but its no reason to panic yet...

C_C

International Captain
Hussey, if he has a long career ( ie, approaching 100 tests and 200+ ODIs), i would predict him ending up as a between 45-50 averaging test batsman and 35-40 averaging ODI batsman.

adharcric

International Coach
Hussey, if he has a long career ( ie, approaching 100 tests and 200+ ODIs), i would predict him ending up as a between 45-50 averaging test batsman and 35-40 averaging ODI batsman.
55 in tests, 60 in ODIs for me

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But barring the WI game, his time at the crease in this tournament thus far hs been really limited - he came in with 2.5 overs to go against SA and was caught on the cover boundary going the tonk, likewise his innings in the pool matches. WI was the only time he had a chance to play a decent innings and he fluffed it.

Imo the mistake the selectors made was in not batting Hussey at 4 or 5 in the earlier games when they always knew they would likely drop Hodge when Symonds came back. This deprived Hussey of valuable match practice in these games.

Looking for a Greigy here - Tipping him for a big score if and when Australia find themselves in strife.

adharcric

International Coach
It'd be incredibly tough for him to average 60 in ODIs if he plays for another 2-3 years. Incredibly tough. He may end with a 50+ though.
Oh dear, I haven't checked his stats in a while now - was under the impressioon that he still had the 80/80 going. Revised ... 55 in tests, 55 in ODIs.

pup11

International Coach
I would like to see lack of overs to bat as a prime reason for his recent failures, but then isn't he the finisher it is the kind of situation that Huss has mostly come in the past and done well in.

I think his main problem is he isn't too comfortable batting on slower tracks , remember he didn't had a great Champions Trophy in India either.

He likes the ball to coming onto the bat at decent pace to time his shots properly IMO.