• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is the Hussey magic over?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yep, which is why it's silly to suggest that players who average over 40 are great and those who average under it are not. And obviously that Hussey's someone who is likely to average under 40.

Mind you, I think Michael Clarke might end up being a "great" ODI player, while Hayden, Yousuf and Dravid won't. If only because Clarke still has a hell of a long way to go in his career. Sarwan's a possibility too, though not so much on recent form.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Mind you, I think Michael Clarke might end up being a "great" ODI player, while Hayden, Yousuf and Dravid won't. If only because Clarke still has a hell of a long way to go in his career. Sarwan's a possibility too, though not so much on recent form.
I don't see anything that Clarke has that those other guys didn't/don't have. Dravid is comfortably in a different league from Clarke, and I'd say that Yousuf and Sarwan have the edge over him too. Hayden is hard to compare because they're such different players at such different stages in their careers. If anything, Clarke reminds me of the younger version of Yousuf, and I think his career is likely to follow a similar path, at least in ODIs.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Clarke's quite an underrated ODI batsman IMO, particularly given that rating. Anyway, the point was simply that Clarke's in his mid 20s and will probably play another couple of hundred ODIs, and given his performances so far, it's not unreasonable that he could end up being a great ODI batsman. Especially given that he's just moved up the order and is playing his first WC.

Yousuf and Dravid are plainly not. They are good ODI players but certainly not great, and both are more or less at their peaks currently. Ditto Hayden, awesome form aside.

pup11

International Coach
Clarke has played lower down the order for early half of his career and its only since CB Series onwards that he has started to bat at no.4 and results have already started to show.

Clarke is only 25 atm and still he can be termed as a class player, the likes of Dravid or Yousuf were no where near as consistent or good as Clarke at the age of 25.

Clarke is an exceptional player of spin and he has improved his game against quickes too.

pup11

International Coach
Clarke and Hussey both had pretty similar starts to their international careers, they both started as finishers {Hussey still is a finisher}. Both of them had an exceptional 2 seasons where whatever they touched seemed to turn into gold.

But after 2 seasons Clarke's form dipped and he even got dropped from the test team, but after that Clarke came back as a stronger and better player.

I hope Huss's career doesn't go the same as Clarke's.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Yousuf and Dravid are plainly not. They are good ODI players but certainly not great, and both are more or less at their peaks currently. Ditto Hayden, awesome form aside.
Yousuf is probably the best ODI batsman Pakistan have had alongside Inzi. If he continues scoring at the same clip for the rest of his career theres no reason he shouldn't surpass him either. Being a fan of Clarke's I'd be quite happy if he had a one day career along the lines of Yousuf.

Dravid has been an extremely good ODI batsman over the last couple of years. Sure he wasn't that great in the earlier part of his career, but right now hes up amongst the very best.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not neccessarily. More runs doesn't neccessarily = better averages. Higher SRs, yes, but IMO good average is good average regardless.
The only way for more runs to not equate to higher averages in one day cricket would be if teams previously didn't use all the wickets and regularly finished 4 or 5 down much more regularly than today.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As far as I know they did tend to. Also, there were fewer effective lower-order batsmen in the 1970s and 1980s.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I feel real pain putting up this debate because i am huge fan of Huss, but off-late his form has tailed off from the SCG game against England (which Aussies lost) in the CB Series (barring his hundred in 2nd C-H Trophy game).

Yesterday Ian Chappell was also saying that though he is a good player he isn't as good as his stats suggest, and now he would get sorted a bit by other teams. I hope Hussey proves his critics wrong quickly.
Anyone who starts off like Hussey, Smith or Pietersen did is going to face such a situation. Its just the law of averages catching up as it always does. There is nothing wrong with Hussey except that he never was super human.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
nah just a bad run of form
Exactly and mortals do have their share of bad form, bad luck and plain bad performance. He is fine and a great prospect ( I mean prospective great). I would love to see him against a couple of quality spinners against a slightly helpful surface. I am not suggesting he will fail. Just that it will show us another aspect of his capabilities.

jammay123

State 12th Man
alot of the time recently he has come in at the slog overs and trying to push things forward gets out cheaply. he is a class act and will come back stronger. just hopefully after the wc

Nishant

International 12th Man
alot of the time recently he has come in at the slog overs and trying to push things forward gets out cheaply. he is a class act and will come back stronger. just hopefully after the wc
true...its about which situation a batsman is in....he is incredible in a pressure situation! That is ten times more valuable than being able to hit a quick fire 30-40 runs IMO. More often than not, the top order will slip up....and in that time, u need someone like hussey!

luffy

International Captain
It's true that he has been struggling this world cup, but his performances in New Zealand were very good. He is just in a lean patch at the moment.