• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Zimbabweans barred from playing in england

brockley

International Captain
Board blocks lucrative deals

Zimbabwe players barred from English club cricket

Cricinfo staff

March 27, 2007

Zimbabwe's national cricketers who arrived back home after their early exit from the World Cup, have been told by the board that they cannot join English clubs during the summer.

Several players told CricInfo that they have been told that they cannot take time off to play club cricket in England, as has been the norm in recent years, because of their contractual agreements. They usually take unpaid leave during the Zimbabwe winter to play club cricket in a bid to improve their game and earn good money.

The players signed new contracts just before their departure for the Caribbean, with clauses which stated that they would not play club cricket overseas. At the time, several complained they were given little time to read or consider the terms on offer.

However, they admitted that ZC managing director Ozias Bvute made it clear to them that they would not be allowed to play club cricket in England. In return, the board promised to pay the players money from the World Cup in foreign currency. It is believed ZC made the players sign new contracts as they feared for a mass exodus of players.

"We have been told that we cannot play club cricket in England," one played told Cricinfo. "They have also told us that we will only get our World Cup money in June, I only made US$8000 from the World Cup so I would rather lose that money and get better money playing club cricket in England."

Zimbabwe Cricket, which is widely reported to be seriously short of cash, has a poor record of paying players, and several - including Heath Streak, Tatenda Taibu and Andy Blignaut - have been owed tens of thousands of dollars for more than 18 months.

CricInfo has it on good authority that a number of the players have been offered contracts by English clubs and are in a dilemma as to whether they will take them up. If they do, then they will lose all their World Cup earnings as ZC will in all likelihood withhold the money for breach of contract. The alternative is to remain in Zimbabwe, where employment outside cricket is almost impossible, and wait and hope that the board sticks to its promises.

The players have no representative body since Clive Field, who acted on their behalf, resigned more than a year ago after the board refused to recognise his role
Joel 2:28
"And it shall come to pass afterward
That i will pour out my spirit on all flesh
Your sons and daughters will prophesy
Your old men will dream dreams
Your young men will see visions
And also on my menservants and my maidserveants
I will pour out my spirit in those days.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, was thinking that.

Oh, well - no great news, TBH. That Board long since ceased to be capable of being any more ****tish than it already is.

Miraz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I don't understand to what extent this board wants to destroy Zim cricket?

If players can play in England that would definitely help them to raise the standard. This is really a stupid move.

Hoppy1987

U19 Debutant
the overseas player from my club side last season was asked to play in the zimbabwe build up to the world cup, with a view to going to the windies. He did suffer with a shoulder injury for part of last season so possibly didn't see the best of him, but all in all was no great shakes. except his 150* in a friendly. anyways, he has told me that the whole cricketing infrastructure in zim is a joke and should be obliterated and started again (or words to those effects)

Hoppy1987

U19 Debutant
so in essence what i am trying to say is Zim players do come over to get away from Zim cricket! and to earn extra bucks. (in all fairness i dont think the political position they are in as a nation provides much stability for anything in Zim)

brockley

International Captain
The zcu are scared players will play in england and leave zimbabwe cricket.
With this rule players will play in england and leave zimbabwe cricket.
There is no financial reason stopping zimbabwe players going over to england.
They have made a rod for their back the zcu and further players will quit zimbabwe cricket.
I just think the zcu has gone mad,it was bad enough they made their black players cut their locks off this is rediculous.
I see little hope zimbabwe getting tests back or playing many one dayers,who would invite zimbabwe even ireland is better performed.
I don't see australia or england playing them in the future with their politcal problems.
Really this is a restriction of trade would not stand up in court.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't understand to what extent this board wants to destroy Zim cricket?

If players can play in England that would definitely help them to raise the standard. This is really a stupid move.
The ZCU aren't and haven't been for many years concerned with the welfare of the cricket, they're just political players who are by-and-large selfish.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Are their any 3rd divison South African Club Sides that they can play for?
Not for money. Most top SA club sides that contain mainly FC players are amateurs. There isnt the culture of paying players for club cricket like in the UK.

Hoppy1987

U19 Debutant
Not many club players get payed in England either, they normally end up getting flights accomodation car etc rather than an actual wage

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Not many club players get payed in England either, they normally end up getting flights accomodation car etc rather than an actual wage
Maybe not in West Sussex :p Elsewhere overseas club players can do alright for themselves.

Also the further North you go, all players (overseas or local) get payed at the higher club levels.

In SA few get paid. If you are lucky you may get a bursary to study.

chris.hinton

International Captain
If i was from Zimbabwe i will turn my back on the country to play for a Club side in England, as the situation in Zimbabwe is Horrible

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
From what we saw of most of them in the WC, would an English club want them? Seriously, I think ZC are scared of them going and not coming back as they decide to try and do a Hick or a KP - but I'm not sure this rule is going to deter them anyway.PS - isn't inflation in Zimbabwe 4,000%? They probably need to play elsewhere just to survive (a case of survival is good, not greed is good)