• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bangladesh Fans Want Whatmore To Stay Until 2011 WC

Miraz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

Bangladesh Fans Want Whatmore To Stay Until 2011 WC

Bangladesh is celebrating their historic success in the World Cup 2007. After defeating India in their World Cup opener, people all over Bangladesh celebrated the Tigers success in jubilant mood. Their celebration reached a peak when Bangladesh defeated Bermuda in the final group match to reach the second stage for the first time in their cricketing history.

Dav Whatmore took the helm of Bangladesh Cricket after their infamous debacle in world cup 2003. In his 4 year tenure with Bangladesh, he completely transformed a losing lowly Bangladesh side into a much competitive cricketing nation. Bangladesh have registered 32 of out their 35 ODI wins under Dav Whatmore.

Like the world media, most of the fans acknowledge that Whatmore is the man behind the resurgence of Bangladesh cricket and want him as Bangladesh coach until the 2011 world cup in which Bangladesh is a co-host. Whatmore’s current contract with Bangladesh expires in June.

In a recent survey conducted by Bangla Cricket.com fans online discussion forum, more than 70% of participants want Whatmore to stay until next world cup while about 20% want him for at least another 2 years. This is a clear indication of the current frame of mind of Bangladesh fans.

“Whatmore is doing a good job with the team so far and he has changed the atmosphere of the dressing room. He has earned respect and love among Bangladeshi fans,” said Shahriyar Rahman, who lives in Canada and is a passionate follower of Bangladesh cricket.

His voice was echoed by Borhan Zabed, a company executive in Bangladesh: “Dav has got the vision to take Bangladesh a long way. He is in the middle of moulding Bangladesh into a world beating side. We need his service for another 3-4 years to reach the level of top teams”.

The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) is also taking initiatives to keep him after the world cup. “He is doing a fantastic job with Bangladesh. He is in contract with us until June this year and we are in the process to review it. Hopefully he will stay with Bangladesh Cricket,” said a top (anonymous) BCB official while talking to a national Daily Shamokal.

Fans are concerned about recent interest from Indian media about Dav Whatmore as India coach. Whatmore was linked to the Indian hot seat before Greg Chappell took charge and Whatmore eventually renewed his contract with Bangladesh in 2005.

“India is desperately looking for a coach to replace Chappell. Whatmore is definitely on their short list. I want BCB to act faster and make arrangements so that Whatmore stays with Bangladesh Cricket”, said Raihan Mahmud, a Dhaka University student while celebrating the Bangladesh success with thousands of students. Everyone in the crowd supported him and chanted slogans for Dav Whatmore.

In the current scenario, Whatmore is definitely under the media spotlight but he is concentrating on the rest of the World Cup mission of the Tigers. He is not getting overjoyed by the Super Eight progress and believes the Tigers can produce more surprises in the second round.

World Cup success is nothing new to Whatmore as in his previous world cup mission he guided Sri Lanka to world cup glory. Bangladesh fans believe he can lead Bangladesh to the same glory in 2011 World Cup and desperately want Whatmore to stay with Bangladesh.

© Khondaker Mirazur Rahman
Bangladesh Editor
Link
It will be difficult for Bangladesh to keep Dav if BCCI shows real interest. BCB can't do much if BCCI comes with huge bag of money.

Last edited:

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain

Link
It will be difficult for Bangladesh to keep Dav if BCCI shows real interest. BCB can't do much if BCCI comes with huge bag of money.
Depends solely on Whatmore whether he wants he money or the job!
He has not to date been denied any raises by BCB when asked for.
Eitherways I'm not too sure if Dav would be staying with the Bangladesh cricket team after this term is over, but I certainly do not see him as the Indian coach.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Dav Whatmore is an absoloute King, can obviously understand the desire to keep him there. But it is never the fans decision, Its up to what Dav wants to do.

Have I just become a master in stating the obvious?

LA ICE-E

State Captain
hhhmmm....he's an excellent coach...look at what he did to sri lanka back in 96 and bangladesh now...i think he helps the emerging countries more and have the ability to bring them up from scratch...i think he'll stay cause i cant see him as an indian coach plus if money is the case i dont think bangladesh will be cheap after this progress...so associate countries need more coaches like him...may be he'll move on to an associate and help them after he thinks he did enough for bangladesh...who knows..its up to him but dont think he'll be india's next coach...

James

Cricket Web Owner
We are allowed to link to cricket stories and articles, that's not against forum rules as far as I know.
That's correct, althogh you should really just include the first couple of paragraphs and then link to the article.