Cricket Player Manager

Thread: Bangladesh Fans Want Whatmore To Stay Until 2011 WC

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

Bangladesh Fans Want Whatmore To Stay Until 2011 WC

Bangladesh Fans Want Whatmore To Stay Until 2011 WC

Bangladesh is celebrating their historic success in the World Cup 2007. After defeating India in their World Cup opener, people all over Bangladesh celebrated the Tigers success in jubilant mood. Their celebration reached a peak when Bangladesh defeated Bermuda in the final group match to reach the second stage for the first time in their cricketing history.

Dav Whatmore took the helm of Bangladesh Cricket after their infamous debacle in world cup 2003. In his 4 year tenure with Bangladesh, he completely transformed a losing lowly Bangladesh side into a much competitive cricketing nation. Bangladesh have registered 32 of out their 35 ODI wins under Dav Whatmore.

Like the world media, most of the fans acknowledge that Whatmore is the man behind the resurgence of Bangladesh cricket and want him as Bangladesh coach until the 2011 world cup in which Bangladesh is a co-host. Whatmore’s current contract with Bangladesh expires in June.

In a recent survey conducted by Bangla Cricket.com fans online discussion forum, more than 70% of participants want Whatmore to stay until next world cup while about 20% want him for at least another 2 years. This is a clear indication of the current frame of mind of Bangladesh fans.

“Whatmore is doing a good job with the team so far and he has changed the atmosphere of the dressing room. He has earned respect and love among Bangladeshi fans,” said Shahriyar Rahman, who lives in Canada and is a passionate follower of Bangladesh cricket.

His voice was echoed by Borhan Zabed, a company executive in Bangladesh: “Dav has got the vision to take Bangladesh a long way. He is in the middle of moulding Bangladesh into a world beating side. We need his service for another 3-4 years to reach the level of top teams”.

The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) is also taking initiatives to keep him after the world cup. “He is doing a fantastic job with Bangladesh. He is in contract with us until June this year and we are in the process to review it. Hopefully he will stay with Bangladesh Cricket,” said a top (anonymous) BCB official while talking to a national Daily Shamokal.

Fans are concerned about recent interest from Indian media about Dav Whatmore as India coach. Whatmore was linked to the Indian hot seat before Greg Chappell took charge and Whatmore eventually renewed his contract with Bangladesh in 2005.

“India is desperately looking for a coach to replace Chappell. Whatmore is definitely on their short list. I want BCB to act faster and make arrangements so that Whatmore stays with Bangladesh Cricket”, said Raihan Mahmud, a Dhaka University student while celebrating the Bangladesh success with thousands of students. Everyone in the crowd supported him and chanted slogans for Dav Whatmore.

In the current scenario, Whatmore is definitely under the media spotlight but he is concentrating on the rest of the World Cup mission of the Tigers. He is not getting overjoyed by the Super Eight progress and believes the Tigers can produce more surprises in the second round.

World Cup success is nothing new to Whatmore as in his previous world cup mission he guided Sri Lanka to world cup glory. Bangladesh fans believe he can lead Bangladesh to the same glory in 2011 World Cup and desperately want Whatmore to stay with Bangladesh.

© Khondaker Mirazur Rahman
    Bangladesh Editor
    Link
    It will be difficult for Bangladesh to keep Dav if BCCI shows real interest. BCB can't do much if BCCI comes with huge bag of money.
    Last edited by Miraz; 28-03-2007 at 09:36 AM.
    I am with Bangladesh, whether they win or lose .

Quote Originally Posted by andmark View Post
    Delete the from cricket world before a moderator sees it.
    ???

I tried to help you.
    Well the Irish did it on St Patrick's day

Rip Fardin Qayyumi, Bob Woolmer and Craig.
    No offence Neil
    "No good thing ever dies." Andy Dufresne. The Shawshank Redemption.
    "Don't interupt the emeny when they're making a mistake" Napoleon

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Miraz View Post
    Link
    It will be difficult for Bangladesh to keep Dav if BCCI shows real interest. BCB can't do much if BCCI comes with huge bag of money.
    Depends solely on Whatmore whether he wants he money or the job!
    He has not to date been denied any raises by BCB when asked for.
    Eitherways I'm not too sure if Dav would be staying with the Bangladesh cricket team after this term is over, but I certainly do not see him as the Indian coach.
    Prowling tiger crouching low
    Ready to unleash its lethal blow
    Its eyes on the mighty prey
    Today the hunter will become the hunted!!!!!

Squirrel Soccer Champion!
    Dav Whatmore is an absoloute King, can obviously understand the desire to keep him there. But it is never the fans decision, Its up to what Dav wants to do.

Have I just become a master in stating the obvious?
    This Weeks Samit Patel Fact - Has been mentioned in 32 of my posts

The Rifles - Whats your verdict? www.myspace.com/therifles

Winner of Cricket Webs Shane Warne Award - 4-11th Feb

RIP Mr Woolmer, We are all poorer for your loss.

Link
    Are you addicted to bangladesh?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    No, he's

hhhmmm....he's an excellent coach...look at what he did to sri lanka back in 96 and bangladesh now...i think he helps the emerging countries more and have the ability to bring them up from scratch...i think he'll stay cause i cant see him as an indian coach plus if money is the case i dont think bangladesh will be cheap after this progress...so associate countries need more coaches like him...may be he'll move on to an associate and help them after he thinks he did enough for bangladesh...who knows..its up to him but dont think he'll be india's next coach...

???
    I took you seriosly.Maybe you can do the same about me.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andmark View Post
    I took you seriosly.Maybe you can do the same about me.
    We are allowed to link to cricket stories and articles, that's not against forum rules as far as I know.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    We are allowed to link to cricket stories and articles, that's not against forum rules as far as I know.
    That's correct, althogh you should really just include the first couple of paragraphs and then link to the article.

I thought it would count as advertising.Sorry if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    That's correct, althogh you should really just include the first couple of paragraphs and then link to the article.
    Thanks James for clarification.

I was a bit surprised to see the first reaction.

Thread Information