Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I feel Sorry for India's cricketers - Kumar Sangakarra

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar

I feel Sorry for India's cricketers - Kumar Sangakarra

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/extr...ry/287539.html

I agree with most of what he says. The Indians fans make it very hard for our cricketers (not that its an excuse).
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

I can't understand this "feeling sorry for the Indian cricketers" comment. A few posters have been saying the same thing.

I can understand feeling for the 1 billion fanatical fans, but the players? they have themselves to blame, noone else. They didn't play well enough, quite simple. Why feel sorry for them? Its not like weather intervened and they were done like SA were in the 1992.

If England, SA, NZ or even SL had left the WC early, apart from their own fans, noone would have said Jack.

India early exit takes nothing away from this WC as far as I'm concerned, even if the commercial gains are reduced due to the reduction in TV viewers.

I don't generally mention the money aspect of cricket, but considering how well-off some of the Indian players are, I don't think I feel much sorrow for them. I did feel for Dravid when I saw his face in the dressing room, and also when Yuvraj was run out. It was clear there was so much pressure on his shoulders, he looked like he was going to burst.

Kumar's still a legend though.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Kumar is a class person as he is a cricketer, if not too diplomatic at times.

Well its not an excuse - they are proffessionals who are paid for their services. But you shoul d never have to fear for the safety of your family or property.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Yes, he's a class act indeed. Always been a fan of his.

The players deserve blame, yes, but it would be naive to believe the problems begin and end there.

Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12 View Post
    I can't understand this "feeling sorry for the Indian cricketers" comment. A few posters have been saying the same thing.

I can understand feeling for the 1 billion fanatical fans, but the players? they have themselves to blame, noone else. They didn't play well enough, quite simple. Why feel sorry for them? Its not like weather intervened and they were done like SA were in the 1992.

If England, SA, NZ or even SL had left the WC early, apart from their own fans, noone would have said Jack.

India early exit takes nothing away from this WC as far as I'm concerned, even if the commercial gains are reduced due to the reduction in TV viewers.
    England, SA, NZ and even SL cricketers are not in a situation even remotely similar to that of the Indian cricketers. As SS said, you shouldn't have to worry for your safety.
    Last edited by adharcric; 28-03-2007 at 01:34 PM.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12 View Post

That completely misses the point. The "fans" who are burning down homes and shouting for the death of Chappell\Dravid\everyone-else-involved deserve no sympathy whatsoever.

The cricketers deserve sympathy because they are victims of this ridiculous overreaction.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

even though pakistan and india (specially inda) have a lot of fans, they aren't good at being fans...they are your greatest fan this moment and the next they are calling for your head at all that stuff...players shouldn't feel threaten and shouldn't need police help to secure their safetly...so i feel for them there...but except for that i dont...like zinzan12 said " India early exit takes nothing away from this WC as far as I'm concerned, even if the commercial gains are reduced due to the reduction in TV viewers."

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    That completely misses the point. The "fans" who are burning down homes and shouting for the death of Chappell\Dravid\everyone-else-involved deserve no sympathy whatsoever.

The cricketers deserve sympathy because they are victims of this ridiculous overreaction.

Possibly a fair comment that, I didn't look at it that way

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Kumar= class.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    I bet they weren't sorry when they were cashing up on their fame by doing interviews and commercials. The good comes with the bad.
    ★★★★★

Regardless of how you feel about how much they get paid - to say that death threats and potential injury to yourself or your family come as 'part' of being a cricketer is ludicrous. And I'm surprised anyone would say that - especially with the recent tragic events in cricket.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Regardless of how you feel about how much they get paid - to say that death threats and potential injury to yourself or your family come as 'part' of being a cricketer is ludicrous. And I'm surprised anyone would say that - especially with the recent tragic events in cricket.
    That's not what I implied - or wanted to, at least.

When you're taking millions and millions of dollars in sponsorship money, or giving interviews that pay $1000 a minute then you should be realising there that this is not particularly normal - especially in Cricket. That polar side to the game will have another side to it - this is it, on the opposite pole.

Quote Originally Posted by KaZoH0lic View Post
    That's not what I implied - or wanted to, at least.

When you're taking millions and millions of dollars in sponsorship money, or giving interviews that pay $1000 a minute then you should be realising there that this is not particularly normal - especially in Cricket. That polar side to the game will have another side to it - this is it, on the opposite pole.
    Taking unfair criticism is one thing - and as highly paid professionals you should obviously be expected to deal with it. But what the cricketers are complaining about is not that - its about idiots attacking their homes and giving death threats to themselves and their family. This has nothing to do with money or what they should be asked to endure. If you need police protection from idiot fans just because of a lost game, that's simply unacceptable.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information