• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I feel Sorry for India's cricketers - Kumar Sangakarra

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can't understand this "feeling sorry for the Indian cricketers" comment. A few posters have been saying the same thing.

I can understand feeling for the 1 billion fanatical fans, but the players? they have themselves to blame, noone else. They didn't play well enough, quite simple. Why feel sorry for them? Its not like weather intervened and they were done like SA were in the 1992.

If England, SA, NZ or even SL had left the WC early, apart from their own fans, noone would have said Jack.

India early exit takes nothing away from this WC as far as I'm concerned, even if the commercial gains are reduced due to the reduction in TV viewers.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't generally mention the money aspect of cricket, but considering how well-off some of the Indian players are, I don't think I feel much sorrow for them. I did feel for Dravid when I saw his face in the dressing room, and also when Yuvraj was run out. It was clear there was so much pressure on his shoulders, he looked like he was going to burst.

Kumar's still a legend though.

Zinzan

Kumar is a class person as he is a cricketer, if not too diplomatic at times.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well its not an excuse - they are proffessionals who are paid for their services. But you shoul d never have to fear for the safety of your family or property.

RhyZa

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Yes, he's a class act indeed. Always been a fan of his. :thumbup1:

The players deserve blame, yes, but it would be naive to believe the problems begin and end there.

adharcric

International Coach
I can't understand this "feeling sorry for the Indian cricketers" comment. A few posters have been saying the same thing.

I can understand feeling for the 1 billion fanatical fans, but the players? they have themselves to blame, noone else. They didn't play well enough, quite simple. Why feel sorry for them? Its not like weather intervened and they were done like SA were in the 1992.

If England, SA, NZ or even SL had left the WC early, apart from their own fans, noone would have said Jack.

India early exit takes nothing away from this WC as far as I'm concerned, even if the commercial gains are reduced due to the reduction in TV viewers.
England, SA, NZ and even SL cricketers are not in a situation even remotely similar to that of the Indian cricketers. As SS said, you shouldn't have to worry for your safety.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

That completely misses the point. The "fans" who are burning down homes and shouting for the death of Chappell\Dravid\everyone-else-involved deserve no sympathy whatsoever.

The cricketers deserve sympathy because they are victims of this ridiculous overreaction.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
even though pakistan and india (specially inda) have a lot of fans, they aren't good at being fans...they are your greatest fan this moment and the next they are calling for your head at all that stuff...players shouldn't feel threaten and shouldn't need police help to secure their safetly...so i feel for them there...but except for that i dont...like zinzan12 said " India early exit takes nothing away from this WC as far as I'm concerned, even if the commercial gains are reduced due to the reduction in TV viewers."

Zinzan

That completely misses the point. The "fans" who are burning down homes and shouting for the death of Chappell\Dravid\everyone-else-involved deserve no sympathy whatsoever.

The cricketers deserve sympathy because they are victims of this ridiculous overreaction.

Possibly a fair comment that, I didn't look at it that way

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I bet they weren't sorry when they were cashing up on their fame by doing interviews and commercials. The good comes with the bad.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Regardless of how you feel about how much they get paid - to say that death threats and potential injury to yourself or your family come as 'part' of being a cricketer is ludicrous. And I'm surprised anyone would say that - especially with the recent tragic events in cricket.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Regardless of how you feel about how much they get paid - to say that death threats and potential injury to yourself or your family come as 'part' of being a cricketer is ludicrous. And I'm surprised anyone would say that - especially with the recent tragic events in cricket.
That's not what I implied - or wanted to, at least.

When you're taking millions and millions of dollars in sponsorship money, or giving interviews that pay $1000 a minute then you should be realising there that this is not particularly normal - especially in Cricket. That polar side to the game will have another side to it - this is it, on the opposite pole.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
That's not what I implied - or wanted to, at least.

When you're taking millions and millions of dollars in sponsorship money, or giving interviews that pay $1000 a minute then you should be realising there that this is not particularly normal - especially in Cricket. That polar side to the game will have another side to it - this is it, on the opposite pole.
Taking unfair criticism is one thing - and as highly paid professionals you should obviously be expected to deal with it. But what the cricketers are complaining about is not that - its about idiots attacking their homes and giving death threats to themselves and their family. This has nothing to do with money or what they should be asked to endure. If you need police protection from idiot fans just because of a lost game, that's simply unacceptable.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Taking unfair criticism is one thing - and as highly paid professionals you should obviously be expected to deal with it. But what the cricketers are complaining about is not that - its about idiots attacking their homes and giving death threats to themselves and their family. This has nothing to do with money or what they should be asked to endure. If you need police protection from idiot fans just because of a lost game, that's simply unacceptable.
You're going overboard mate.

They aren't just highly paid professionals. In comparison with their colleagues from other countries, they are ridiculously highly paid professionals. Who also have ridiculous fans who do ridiculous things. When you do ads/interviews you're fueling the same machine that will serve a backlash on you. I am not saying they should deal with one side because they take advantage of the other. What I am saying is that they should be well aware of it.

To acknowledge the existence of both extremes doesn't mean condoning it.

In Brazil, their players were spat at and cursed when they dropped out of the World Cup. It is also not unusual for family members of the national team to go missing and held for ransom.

Last edited:

Hoppy1987

U19 Debutant
this is ridiculous, if some walked into your office and started doing this it wouldn't be on, so why just because these people are talented entertainers and athletes must they endure stupidity like this? Jealousy perhaps? Or do the fans feel as though they could do a better job?? Disappointment is disappointment and surely if your team isn't performing you should get behind them and make sure they perform better in the next game??

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
They aren't just highly paid professionals. In comparison with their colleagues from other countries, they are ridiculously highly paid professionals. Who also have ridiculous fans who do ridiculous things. When you do ads/interviews you're fueling the same machine that will serve a backlash on you. I am not saying they should deal with one side because they take advantage of the other. What I am saying is that they should be well aware of it.

In Brazil, their players were spat at and cursed when they dropped out of the World Cup. It is also not unusual for family members of the national team to go missing and held for ransom.
What are you actually arguing here...and how is SS going overboard? If you're saying the players should be aware of the backlash that could come, then the obvious answer is that they are. You don't really need to point that out. It doesn't justify the actions of some idiot fans however you look at it though. It sort of seems though that you're equating one with the other....and that makes no sense.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
You're going overboard mate.

But they do acknowledge it. They don't like it, nor should they. They have every right to complain about death threats. Period.

And thats wrong too. I don't understand. Just because it happens doesn't mean it should or that we have to condone or accept it.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
What are you actually arguing here...and how is SS going overboard? If you're saying the players should be aware of the backlash that could come, then the obvious answer is that they are. You don't really need to point that out. It doesn't justify the actions of some idiot fans however you look at it though. It sort of seems though that you're equating one with the other....and that makes no sense.
How is he going overboard? The same as you are.

The only criticism I can make of the team is that I haven't seen the Indian players, or people in charge, give as much credence in trying to turn this cricketing culture around as opposed to profiting from it's fanatic following.

How this got turned into me condoning/equating their actions the lord knows.

If anything, I am trying to say that by not doing enough to change this culture, they're passively being apart of this machine.