• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greg Chappell: I won't resign.

pup11

International Coach
I mean this man is stupid or what, he has claimed that he won't resign from the post of the Indian coach and he has sent an sms to a top journalist in India blaming the selection process and how he was not happy with the WC squad. He claims he wanted more youth in the side and he request was overlooked.

So Chappell clearly is not ready to become a scapegoat, and some quality drama is in the making i guess.

FRAZ

International Captain
Well I don;t think that Chappell should take all the burdan of loss . Physical and mental fitness is the problem with India tbh otherwise they have enough talent in their batting line up .
Greg has been pointing out these fitness problems and IMHO either a coach be given full authority or there shouldn't be any coach there in the first place .

JustTool

State 12th Man
2 problems:
1) The way Sachin is idolozed and treated even though he has been a big zero the last few years and always suspect under pressure.

2) BCCI - excellent article below:

Misfits like Pawar are ruining Indian cricket
Wednesday, 28 March 2007 |

By Ashis Ray

Sharad Pawar's statement about creating two Indian teams (when the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) are struggling to stitch together even one respectable side!) is more pathetic than the performance of the Indians in the World Cup. This is the fundamental problem, more serious than the on-field failings of the cricketers and indirectly the cause of the latter. Misfits like Pawar have been governing Indian cricket for decades. They don't have a clue; and are, moreover, distressing communicators.

Pawar has summoned a meeting of former India captains on April 6 to discuss India's disastrous showing. This is not by itself a bad idea. But how many of the erstwhile skippers will have the courage to speak their minds and tell the board on their faces that they are a part of the problem, and a major one, not the solution. They need to be conveyed in no uncertain terms that a handover to professional management intertwined by expertise from honest, lucid and knowledgeable cricketers is imperative; and that this has to happen within a time bound period.

The problem is a stinking rich BCCI are in a position to extend handsome favours. By a vicious process of manoeuvring - which most cricketers are bewildered by - non-cricketers, unqualified for management are the ones in power. Past players of stature eat out of their hands, even crawl before them for they can derive attractive benefits from doing so. People with personality and self-respect, who don't play ball, don't grovel are ignored, some times at the cost of Indian cricket.

It is no great shakes to be invited by such worthless elements for a conference. It is, however, a matter of national importance for eminent, potentially insightful men who have been India's helmsmen to extricate their country from the cricketing mess it finds itself in. But they will be failing in their duties if they restricted themselves to policy and tactics connected with the national team and avoided addressing the thorny issue of the game's governance.

There is, palpably, a great temptation to sack Greg Chappell and Rahul Dravid. Admittedly, they bear responsibility, although the players collectively let them down. Before the World Cup, Sachin Tendulkar had already been positioned to succeed Dravid in the event of India's failure in the World Cup. This has happened more cataclysmically than envisaged. Perhaps, an older and wiser Tendulkar will be more successful than in his earlier term. But it's still a shot in the dark. The more difficult decision is a choice of coach, for no one can help cricketers who habitually freeze on the big stage.

In 2005, the BCCI under Jagmohan Dalmiya, hastily embarked on hosting one-day international series to improve India's rankings and thereby avert having to qualify for last year's Champions Trophy, which they were hosting. The plan succeeded, but the home successes failed to further India's cause in the tournament itself, just as much as the victories over the West Indies and Sri Lanka in January and February last respectively, were a false and misleading indication of India's capabilities in the World Cup.

The ICC's ranking system is flawed and needs a revamp. Like tennis, where greater value is given to the performances in bigger events like Grand Slam and Master Series, Cricket World Cup and Champions Trophy tournaments should carry more weight than the proliferating and money-minting ODIs. The recognition to wins and losses, runs and wickets should also be on the basis of an equal number of matches played home and away. This should not be also disproportionate against lower ranked teams, making easier the manipulation of rankings by financial inducements provided by wealthy boards. This is precisely what the BCCI of Dalmiya and Pawar have been doing and taking the Indian public for a ride.

(Ashis Ray is author of the recently launched 'One-Day Cricket: The Indian Challenge' (Harper Collins), which can be bought online on www.ians.in)

adharcric

International Coach
I don't see the big deal in this. Chappell didn't get the likes of Raina in the final squad so the second comment makes sense; he shouldn't blame the WC result on that but then again, it's probably the media twisting his words. As for resignation, why the hell should he resign if he wants to be the coach? I sure as hell wouldn't resign if I were him. In fact, I'm glad to see that we have someone who actually wants to continue in this role despite negative results and having to deal with the media and fans in India.

Last edited:

LA ICE-E

State Captain
they shouldn't take actions on emotions still going round about the exit of the wc...even though i dont like greg they should look into what they want to do and if there was a better guy that could do it..if not dont make stupid discision high of emotions

JustTool

State 12th Man
How is that related to this thread?

Because blaming Chappell if he want' allowed to execute his plan is not appropriate and he should NOT resign and should fight it out. Anyways, ROOT CAUSE of all problems is BCCI and stupid star-status to non-performers like Sachin.

If you still don't get it - and I doubt you do - then there is as much hope for you as there is for Indian Cricket :laugh:

Weren't you the one predicting hwo great Tendulkar would perform in the WC :laugh: :laugh:

LA ICE-E

State Captain
wasn't they saying they were going to extend his contract or something before the wc started? one event should change if that was the case...it should be like wisden's author is saying...fletcher should go, irrespective of how england do in the wc...so if india was going to extend his contract then it should extend it irrespective of the early exit...cause sometimes in sports and life **** happens

pup11

International Coach
Now why does Chappell want to ridicule himself by saying that he won't retire, anyhow he is gonna be axed as the hatred levels for Chappell among the Indian fans is at an all time high.

So i would be suprised if he succesfully saves his job, one more thing if he was so unhappy with the team and the way the things were being operated in the Indian camp he should have raised his voice earlier, why is he doing it after India's early WC exit.

Achtung Baby

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I cannot understand why chappel wants to persist with Raina even after so many failures.
He has shown a very adamant attitude which i dont think is correct. Also regarding his resignation from the post of Coach. He should take a moral responsibility for this debacle and resign but i think he would be tempted to continue only because if he resigns now then his coaching career is as good as over atleast for some time.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Why should he resign? He feels his job isn't done, and if they want to get rid of him let them fire him.

Achtung Baby

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
well after 18 months of his tenure the indian team has gone from bad to worse.
What are the indications that the situation will improve from now??

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
One important point to remember is that the SMS was sent on Feb 17th. It is not like he did it now to pass the buck. He obviously didn't get all the players he wanted and he mentioned that to a journalist whom he probably trusted. Dont see the big deal in this. And I don't think Chappell himself is stupid enough to assume that he will get the team he wants everytime.

pup11

International Coach
Chappell wants young players because they are willing to listen to him, as the senior players are spoilt brats and they just don't give a damn about what Chappell tells them do to, as they know Chappell or for that matter any other coach can't push them out of the team.

The Indian manager has already reported to the BCCI that Indian team were an indisciplined bunch at the WC, they were out drinking and partying till 2 am night before games.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
i dont think that ture..because isn't there something in their policy about a curfew at nights before games? wouldn't it be in the tabloids like the english were?

Hoppy1987

U19 Debutant
yeah would be in the tabloids for sure, and also i didn't think people from that culture were massive drinkers anyways? I cant believe Sreesanth didnt get a chance even after his impressive displays recently in test cricket and even though Irfan Pathan has lost form he is still a class player. Out with the old in with the new thats what i say!!

pup11

International Coach
Look guys its not some outsider who is saying these things about the Indian team not being disciplined or whatever, its there manager for the WC that has given this report to the BCCI and what more he has given interviews to Indian media and news channels regarding the same.

He has even said that half of the blokes were busy running behind girls through the tour,and yeah the younger bunch are more involved in such stuff.

nate-d

Cricket Spectator
Tendulkar is passed his used by date. The 2003 world cup he was on fire, but with the injuries he has been suffering, I think he should retire, after passing 15,000 ODI runs.
Ganguly, well, I guess he's got perhaps 1 more year. Dravid, 5 years.

India only seem to play well at home, their tour record must be awful.

Greg Chappell, I guess John Wright must have been their best recent coach. Perhaps, they should re-hire him, eventhough he's on another contract, pay him $1m, if need to be. Really, greg chappell should not leave, I mean India havenot won the world cup since 1983. No point sacking him, give him another go. Dravid should remain captain.. his senior players have let him down, tendulkar, ganguly.

pup11

International Coach
In a way Chappell's points are fair enough since he is saying that when he was not given the team he wanted then why is everyone blaming him, well when Freddie was drowning as he was in high spirits(pun intended )and was saved by life-guards then you would expect the tabloids to come to know about that don't you?

Indian players were wise as they didn't make any blunders like Fred and weren't caught.

maheshprasad

Cricket Spectator
Quit India

Let me take you back to 2003 world cup.There were no expectations for India.Actually there was no Team India then.It was only Indian team.Yet we played well and we reached the finals losing only to Australia who lifted the cup.That means we were the second best.
Don't forget the aggressive captain Saurav ganguly and the silent assassin John Wright.Were there any media clashes with Chappell.Absolutely Noooooooo.

After the world cup sreenath retired.Laxman became a prominent member of the one day side.Two aggressive young talented fast bowlers,Balaji and Pathan came to the Indian team.That team held Australia for a 1-1 draw in the test series in Australia.What a side that was.That is the best Indian team I've seen so far.

But then Wright resigned.Chappell came.Then Ganguly lost his place.Then it was all about youngsters.Didn't any youngster come when Saurav and Wright were in charge.Yes.Sehwag,Pathan,Balaji,Kaif,Yuvraj,Dhoni.Then many youngsters came during the reign of Chappell(in Malayalam Chappell means to suck).
.Who are they?Sreesanth,Patel,Raina,Karthik,Chawla,RP Singh,VRV Singh.Are these guys eligible for a place in the side.No except for Patel.These excess inclusion of youngsters upset the balance of the side.That is why India lost the world cup.

There is one more guy to blame for.Kiran More,the former chief selector.
What India should do now is to make Saurav captain,include Laxman,Balaji and Nehra in the team and sack Chappell.As Wright is ready to takethe job,make him the coach.And don't include youngsters into the team unless they are very talented and can cope with the pressure of International cricket