• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greg Chappell: I won't resign.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
We've all repeatedly heard/read the allegations in this article. Frankly, I can't see how Chappell can stay as coach of the team. Even if Chappell is right, he's made a mess of things trying to get his vision implemented. He doesn't seem to have the support of the team, in fact he's gone a long way in dividing them. The players apparently don't trust him (and rightfully so if he's leaking comments to the media all the time), and the team atmosphere is poison. In this sort of a climate, Chappell will not succeed. It's easy to say "back the coach and the players should be professional". You have to be practical and understand that a coach relationship with his players is just as important as his actual coaching abilities. I believe Chappell has failed as a coach because he couldn't build relationships and was divisive. It would be better for India to start over. And it wouldn't be a bad idea to make some tough decisions before the new coach comes in. Meaning if Tendulkar or Ganguly (or whoever else) needs to be dropped, then the board should make that decision. Allow the new coach to start off without the controversy and give him a chance to succeed.
indeed. That has been my point all along. Take out Chappell, Drop/rest Sachin and Sourav and Dravid and take a fresh team to Bangladesh. Let us see what the future holds for Indian cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Part of me cringes at the prospect of a "fresh" team going to Bangladesh.

For me, the best thing that can happen to Ganguly, Dravid and Tendulkar is swift revenge and I think they'll feel incomplete if they don't get it. They need to prove that they're better than being knocked-out of a World Cup by Bangladesh.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Part of me cringes at the prospect of a "fresh" team going to Bangladesh.

For me, the best thing that can happen to Ganguly, Dravid and Tendulkar is swift revenge and I think they'll feel incomplete if they don't get it. They need to prove that they're better than being knocked-out of a World Cup by Bangladesh.
This is not about Ganguly, Dravid or Sachin, Richard..... This is about INDIA.

We need to move on beyond these "stars" because their time is coming to an end anyway. Look at Windies still relying on Lara. I cringe at the prospect of India still relying on these guys two years from now. If they are good enough, of course, they can still be part of the side and do well, but against a team like Bangladesh, we need to test our bench strength. If we dont do it against Bangladesh, against whom will we do it??

If we are still beaten by BD (which could very much happen, BD are much, much improved side now), it would at least show us that our FC system is simply not good enough, inspite of all the horn touting people like Ajit Wadekar are doing.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, I don't really mind a switch at the top as much as I think it won't do anything. Let's say a new coach comes in - what is he going to do to stop all the egos? It's easy to say 'start young', but as the young become stars, they develop the same egos and problems as the older players. It's a never ending circle that has to change from the bottom up, not the top.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This is not about Ganguly, Dravid or Sachin, Richard..... This is about INDIA.

We need to move on beyond these "stars" because their time is coming to an end anyway. Look at Windies still relying on Lara. I cringe at the prospect of India still relying on these guys two years from now. If they are good enough, of course, they can still be part of the side and do well, but against a team like Bangladesh, we need to test our bench strength. If we dont do it against Bangladesh, against whom will we do it??

If we are still beaten by BD (which could very much happen, BD are much, much improved side now), it would at least show us that our FC system is simply not good enough, inspite of all the horn touting people like Ajit Wadekar are doing.
But is it not also important for India to swiftly bounce back against Bangladesh?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
But is it not also important for India to swiftly bounce back against Bangladesh?
Not really - I don't want a patch up of the problems. I want them out in the open and fester - hopefully that will mean some long term change. I can deal with India getting blown out of series in the short term, even losing a Test to Bangaldesh - if it means we get our act together.

Otherwise, this crap will never ever change. I don't want to go through this against every five years with a new set of faces. The problems highlighted here have been with us for the past thirty years. And they keep showing up again and again. It's ridiculous. New faces isn't going to change anything, at most it will buy you a couple years before the same allegiances and egos develop.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And to be honest, I don't even care about the WC. But at least its exposing the ugly side. We all knew of it, but its about time it comes out.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not really - I don't want a patch up of the problems. I want them out in the open and fester - hopefully that will mean some long term change. I can deal with India getting blown out of series in the short term, even losing a Test to Bangaldesh - if it means we get our act together.

Otherwise, this crap will never ever change. I don't want to go through this against every five years with a new set of faces. The problems highlighted here have been with us for the past thirty years. And they keep showing up again and again. It's ridiculous. New faces isn't going to change anything, at most it will buy you a couple years before the same allegiances and egos develop.
I honestly can't see a few losses meaning any serious change. Is anyone really prepared to undertake the impossibly hard work (and, dare I suggest it, use of the wallet) that that requires?

I really don't want to see India take Bangladesh lightly - if only because it will continue to offer a false reflection of Bangladesh.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I honestly can't see a few losses meaning any serious change. Is anyone really prepared to undertake the impossibly hard work (and, dare I suggest it, use of the wallet) that that requires?

I really don't want to see India take Bangladesh lightly - if only because it will continue to offer a false reflection of Bangladesh.
Few losses may not, but continuous losing - and losing to countries like Bangladesh, especially when it starts impacting the wallet of the BCCI, will mean change. They can be incredibly efficient and driven for change when it effects their money.

And the fact that you can now lose to them if you take them lightly means they are improving and is a positive reflection on them, no?

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Thanks.
The article paints a horribly fascinating picture of the Indian dressing room, almost soap-operatic..
If Chappell stays, unfortunately, this divide is going to linger since I don't see all of the four players mentioned here be cut from the side. On the other hand, if that were to happen, it mightn't be so bad to keep Chappell especially he stops his disgusting habit of working the media.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
BCCI people - blame the BCCI. You can blame the coach and the captain, and both have done questionable things in the past but blame the real culprits.

Reading the article, if it is true, means Chappell has to go. I can get behind that, but don't lose sight of the real culprits.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Few losses may not, but continuous losing - and losing to countries like Bangladesh, especially when it starts impacting the wallet of the BCCI, will mean change. They can be incredibly efficient and driven for change when it effects their money.
So you expect the BCCI to contribute to something that impacts on them - ie take a 2nd-strong team and lose in order to show what a poor job they're doing?
And the fact that you can now lose to them if you take them lightly means they are improving and is a positive reflection on them, no?
Well - you always could.

I don't want people claiming they're suddenly Test\ODI class because India have sent a second-team there and not hammered them.

pup11

International Coach
I think some Indian players are spoilt brats and they hardly listen to anything what their coach tells them to do.

John Wright didn't leave the Indian team on best of terms and there were rumours that he was even abused by some Indian players, but Wright being a gentleman never made an issue of it and just left the job. But Chappell is an aggressive and outspoken Aussie and he doesn't take such stuff lying down, that= problems then.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
BCCI people - blame the BCCI. You can blame the coach and the captain, and both have done questionable things in the past but blame the real culprits.

Reading the article, if it is true, means Chappell has to go. I can get behind that, but don't lose sight of the real culprits.
Sure BCCI is the problem. It unfortunately is something that will require a long term solution.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
So you expect the BCCI to contribute to something that impacts on them - ie take a 2nd-strong team and lose in order to show what a poor job they're doing?
No, of course not. They aren't going to do anything - that's the problem. They'll apply some patch work solution and declare the problem solved. I said I wouldn't mind if something happened which would cause the Indian public to start looking at the problem and working to fix it instead of applying cosmetic changes. And maybe start by burning effigies and destroying houses of those who actually deserve it, instead of the players.

No, I am not actually advocating that, just making a point as to who is to blame.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, of course not. They aren't going to do anything - that's the problem. They'll apply some patch work solution and declare the problem solved. I said I wouldn't mind if something happened which would cause the Indian public to start looking at the problem and working to fix it instead of applying cosmetic changes. And maybe start by burning effigies and destroying houses of those who actually deserve it, instead of the players.

No, I am not actually advocating that, just making a point as to who is to blame.
I think that last line would be far more appropriate to be bigged up than smalled down.

adharcric

International Coach
Chappell should go. Period.
I don't see any point in sticking with him.
He has zero understanding of the culture and he fails to realize that a lot of what he says about coaching 'looks good on paper' but doesnt work out. Plus he isnt a successful coach and in most sport, a high profile team making a shockingly early exit means the coach is toast. Exceptions to this may be exceptionally good coaches but Greg is clearly not an exceptional coach.
Guy needs to go and someone like Whatmore or Sandeep Patil should be brought in.
We've all repeatedly heard/read the allegations in this article. Frankly, I can't see how Chappell can stay as coach of the team. Even if Chappell is right, he's made a mess of things trying to get his vision implemented. He doesn't seem to have the support of the team, in fact he's gone a long way in dividing them. The players apparently don't trust him (and rightfully so if he's leaking comments to the media all the time), and the team atmosphere is poison. In this sort of a climate, Chappell will not succeed. It's easy to say "back the coach and the players should be professional". You have to be practical and understand that a coach relationship with his players is just as important as his actual coaching abilities. I believe Chappell has failed as a coach because he couldn't build relationships and was divisive. It would be better for India to start over. And it wouldn't be a bad idea to make some tough decisions before the new coach comes in. Meaning if Tendulkar or Ganguly (or whoever else) needs to be dropped, then the board should make that decision. Allow the new coach to start off without the controversy and give him a chance to succeed.
Fully agreed. I'd also leave Dravid, Tendulkar and Ganguly behind for the tour of Bangladesh - give RD a break, teach the other two a lesson and test our bench strength.