• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Test Ratings

Cybersmurf

U19 Cricketer
just wanted to talk about the test ratings on the front page. They are pretty bad, but not discusting. i think the pakistanis are quite good but not that good, i ratings would be

Aussie
New Zealand ;)
Sri Lanka
South Africa
Pakistan
India
England (sorry....) Zimbarbwe (tie with west indies, both have a class batsman)
West Indies (tie with zimbarbwe, both have a class batsman)
Bangladesh

Cybersmurf

U19 Cricketer
just wanted to talk about the test ratings on the front page. They are pretty bad, but not discusting. i think the pakistanis are quite good but not that good, i ratings would be

Aussie
New Zealand
Sri Lanka
South Africa
Pakistan
India
England (sorry....) Zimbarbwe (tie with west indies, both have a class batsman)
West Indies (tie with zimbarbwe, both have a class batsman)
Bangladesh

P.S. someone delete my previous post bacause it was messy :)

sean

School Boy/Girl Captain
Australia
South Africa
New Zealand
England
Sri Lanka
India
Pakistan
West Indies/Zimbabwe
Bangladesh

Geoff

Cricket Spectator
Australia
South Africa
New Zealand
Pakistan
England
India
Sri Lanka
West Indies
Zimbabwe
Bangladesh

Can't believe Sri Lanka are number 3 at the moment, they need to get away from home more. Hope the Aussies beat South Africa again in the return series. They definitely don't deserve to be number 1.

G

8D This is just my personal version 8D

Australia
South Africa
New Zealand
India
Sri Lanka
Pakistan
England
West Indies
Zimbabwe
Bangladesh

The real test rankings are too slow to catch up.

schak82

Cricket Spectator
The question I have is that do Australia deserve to be listed where they are?

I mean they won 16 tests in a row against Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan and other weak teams.

And they played these teams just as they were falling into a bad patch.

Also they played almost all of these tests at home, hey even India can win at home!

They have a 4 bowler attack and if you get on top of any 1 of them then they crumble
(look at Dravid and VVS Laxman in the second test against Australia in India).

So after all that can you really say they are great or just lucky?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
schak: Name a team which has done better, and then we'll talk about who's lucky. ;)

Just to put your comments about who the 'weak' teams are in perspective:

Sri Lanka: Australia didn't win that series and even didn't win a Test in the series. It was decided 1-0 Sri Lanka's way with something like 10 of the 15 possible days of play being washed out or not played due to Sri Lanka having thrashed the pants off us within 3 days in the first Test. Sri Lanka are hardly a weak team anymore, especially at home.

India: India beat Australia 2-1 in India and with a top order as good as theirs, once again, hardly a weak team.

Pakistan: Pakistan regardless of their results, will NEVER be considered a weak team with players of the calibre of Akhtar, Youhanna, Anwar, Sami etc. available.

The only 'weak' team Australia have wrecked of late have been the Worst Indies. The series in England was more a reflection of England selection than the talent in their ranks.

And let's not forget that Australia have mangled SA in 5 our of 6 Tests recently, with the sixth in doubt but SA should win it.

To put others' comments in perspective about away wins, MOST teams only win at home anyway. Australia just have a higher proportion than most of away wins. Let's have a look in the 90's at who wins away from home in Test series (from Cricinfo):

Australia
52 matches
20 Wins (38.46%)
16 Series
7 wins (43.75%)

New Zealand
41 matches
6 wins (14.63%)
15 series
2 wins (13.33%)

South Africa
30 matches
10 wins (33.33%)
12 series
6 wins (50%)

England
50 matches
9 wins (18%)
13 series
2 wins (15.38%)

Sri Lanka
36 matches
5 wins (13.89%)
16 series
4 wins (25%)

Pakistan
41 matches
17 wins (41.46%)
17 series
9 wins (52.94%)

India
39 matches
1 win (2.56%)*sniggerz*
15 series
1 win (6.67%)

West Indies
40 matches
11 wins (27.50%)
11 series
2 wins (18.18%)

Zimbabwe
17 matches
1 win (5.88%)
9 series
1 win (11.11%)

Bangladesh
6 matches
0 wins
3 series
0 wins

So if we are to take these figures at face value, you'd see that Pakistan overall seems to be the best away team, with South Africa and Australia next on the list followed by SL and the West Indies.

However if you only take into account the top 5 teams (in terms of % series wins), notice this:

- Australia has beaten all of the others in the top 4 (SL, West Indies, SA, Pakistan) away from Australia.

- Other than Australia, they've all beaten each other at home and away.

- None of them have beaten Australia at home (them away in other words).

This suggests that Australia is the better away team of all of them. Australia has consistently shown it's ability to beat the better teams away from home (whilst losing to the weaker teams..........go figure) whereas teams such as South Africa and Pakistan, beat the weaker teams (thereby bolstering their numbers) and then go lose to Australia in Australia.

This is why Australia is rated as the superior Test team of the 90's and so the ranking is justified. To be honest, the rankings don't take into account who you beat, on the wins alone which explains the ridiculous situation where Australia has beaten SA in every Test series in the last 5 years and 3-0 at home, yet Australia had to defend the world championship crown by BEATING SA. That's nuts, considering their recent form which to me, shows the futility of the whole 'World Champion' thing anyway.

As for getting on top of one bowler and Australia crumbling, forgetting that Dravid and Laxman batted EXTREMELY well on a perfect batting track, name me one team that DOESN'T at least get affected when their best bowler is taking some hammer. Same thing happens to SA when any team takes to Pollock, to India when Kumble takes some hammer, to NZ when Cairns is geting belted, to Pakistan when Akram got hit around and to England when Caddick or Gough get hit around. OF COURSE you're going to get affected when your best bowler is getting smacked around. No team is immune to that.

[Edited on 3/17/02 by Top_Cat]

Eclipse

International Debutant
schak82 to even sugest that Australia are not at least 3 times better than the next best team is stupid !!

Anon2

U19 Cricketer
How can schak82 say Pakistan and India are weak teams! Anybody who can beat these two must be very good.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Australia - Definitely the best in the world!
Sri Lanka - 8 wins in a row. At a time of lack, enough for 2nd
England - Probably I'm biased, but we're doing OK now
South Africa - Well past their peak. 1-5 v Aus
New Zealand - Shouldn't be losing home to us
Pakistan - Inconsistent and well, home to
India - Cannot travel
West Indies - One man team
Zimbabwe - One man team
Bangladesh - No good players

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
As a uni student I often have to think about stuff. So in my classes I think about this kind of stuff.

COMING SOON will be my own style of Cricket Rankings. It will be good(maybe) and will be updated every so often. If you think it is worth using somewhere then :D

James

Cricket Web Owner
If you want Paid the Umpire you could host your ratings with Cricket Web.

You can signup for a hosting package for FREE here.

Just an idea mate ;)

James

Cricket Web Owner
New Zealand - Shouldn't be losing home to us
Remember we are missing

* Shane Bond
* Dion Nash
* Shayne O'Connor
* Chris Cairns (out now)
* Andre Adams
* Daniel Vettori (not fully fit)

Try taking out England's best 6 bowlers and see how they do ;)

Anon2

U19 Cricketer
I'm going to agree with James in that one, Neil. If they had all of their star players they would be stuffing us like chickens!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Nah. We're better.

Bond = yes, you're missing him but we're missing Gough.
Nash = past his peak ;)
O'Connor = doesn't take wickets just bowls quick
Cairns = you've got home advantage that evens it up
Adams = one day player from what I've seen (admittedly little)
Vettori = fair point he scares the proverbial out of England - but he's playing so that doesn't count :)

I'd love to see Sri Lanka v Australia in Sri Lanka, and I can't wait for Sri Lanka to tour England this summer.

schak82

Cricket Spectator
To Top_Cat, Eclipse & Paul,

My point has been seriously misinterpreted. My point is that Australia have played not weak teams (theoretically no team is weak)
but weakened teams.

Lets look at the teams that Top_cat noted in the series he spoke of:

Sri Lanka - A team that really fell apart after 1996 but has pulled itself back together well (atleast at home)
West Indies - A team that went through coach and captaincy problems at the same time as they played Australia (Brian Lara and Viv Richards!!!)
Pakistan - People who are more busy with politics then the game (Akram V Younis/the Akhtar chucking scandal/match fixing)
India - A team who has never played as a team, but theoretically has the best batting order around (THEORETICALLY!!!)
England - Problems with injuries to players and a serious lack of a good youth program (they should start praying to Rod Marsh)
South Africa - A capatinless team whose players are more interested in the money than the game (Cullinan/injuries to Pollock & Donald/no set bowling attack)

Australia - Lost Steve Waugh for one match, Shane Warne was dropped for some time and their batting order changed a bit (but only in face not in structure)
And it was when these teams were with their full platoon that Australia has fallen apart.

My feeling is that my point will be proven in the ODI's starting tonight when a new less experienced Australian side step out on to the pitch
against a full strength South Africa. In this case the tides have turned against Australia (a new look team up against a strong, well-rounded, full strength
South African attack)

P.S. It was the great Neil Harvey himself who went on TV to critise the Australian Test team for lacking depth!!!