• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"level Playing Field"

HILTS3188

Cricket Spectator
CAN PONTING,SEHWAG,SMITH.AND ALL THE OTHER BIG HITTERS OF THE MODERN GAME BE COMPARED EQUALLY IN TERMS OF THEIR STATURE IN THE GAME AND THE POINTS THEY HAVE SCORED WHEN THE DIAMETER OF THE BOUNDARIES HAVE BEEN BROUGHT INTO 65 METRES?.........:unsure:

SURELY PLAYERS OF SOBERS AND BOTHAM AND RICHARDS AND LLOYD OF THE PAST WOULD HAVE BIGGER SCORES IF THEY WERE ALL EQUAL?........:unsure:

PLEASE DISCUSS?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I feel the size of grounds is the most over-rated factor in the how many runs a batsman scores. It doesn't matter how big the field is if you get out - prevent that from occuring and you'll score runs. Obviously the pitches play a large part in that though...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Has to have an effect tho. The shorter the boundaries the more likely you are to see miss-hits & top edges sail over the fence. Bat technology has improved markedly too.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Has to have an effect tho. The shorter the boundaries the more likely you are to see miss-hits & top edges sail over the fence. Bat technology has improved markedly too.
Yeah, both the bats and the boundaries give the batsman a greater freedom to play more aggressively . Shots do not carry the same level of risk as previously.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
boundaries are the basic reason for such high scores plus bit with the bat, and 20/20 and the powerplays but boundaries are the main reason

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah it has some effect, but not a huge one, IMO. It only has an effect on how quickly a batsman scores really (except when they are hitting sixes that just clear the fielder's head over the rope.. but that's fairly rare in test cricket) rather than how long he stays out there.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah it has some effect, but not a huge one, IMO. It only has an effect on how quickly a batsman scores really (except when they are hitting sixes that just clear the fielder's head over the rope.. but that's fairly rare in test cricket) rather than how long he stays out there.
Not necessarily I'd say. A boundary ten yards shorter can mean the difference between top-edging a pull into third man's welcoming grasp & a six.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
That ground yesterday in the Aus v SA match was just plain ridiculous. The pitch looked like concrete and the ground was about as big as my back garden (a slight exaggeration). Compare this to the MCG or the WACA back in the old days when they used the advertising hoardings as boundary markers, and it seems a bit unfair doesn't it?

readie

State Regular
The shorter boundaries and improved technology does have an effect on the ability of a batsmen to hit high/fast scores but so has the advent of one-day cricket. i.e todays playing generation have all grown up with one day cricket as a form of cricket to model their game on as youngsters causing them to becoome more aggressive.

Most cricketers also play more one-day cricket, gone are the days of schools playing matches larger than 50 overs a side and the largest club games you get are two day games (in australia at least)

rafa5times

Cricket Spectator
well then hilts3188 i dont no if anyone else noticed but i heard a certain ex cricketer on sky sports ask the same question, i think when the pitch is so small they should give the top order batsmen smaller bats or sponge balls anyone agree?

open365

International Vice-Captain
But couldn't it work the other way?

Bigger playing areas = more singles/twos/threes oppurtunity and more area to hit the ball in without being caught.

Was too young in the olden days but i doubt it has that much affect, i mean, the boundaries in Australia are huge, doesn't mean the scores are noticeably lower.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
well then hilts3188 i dont no if anyone else noticed but i heard a certain ex cricketer on sky sports ask the same question, i think when the pitch is so small they should give the top order batsmen smaller bats or sponge balls anyone agree?
I'd agree with the idea of limiting bat weights and things like that, so it's actually the best batsman who plays better, not the player with the better bat.