Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "level Playing Field"

"level Playing Field"

CAN PONTING,SEHWAG,SMITH.AND ALL THE OTHER BIG HITTERS OF THE MODERN GAME BE COMPARED EQUALLY IN TERMS OF THEIR STATURE IN THE GAME AND THE POINTS THEY HAVE SCORED WHEN THE DIAMETER OF THE BOUNDARIES HAVE BEEN BROUGHT INTO 65 METRES?.........

SURELY PLAYERS OF SOBERS AND BOTHAM AND RICHARDS AND LLOYD OF THE PAST WOULD HAVE BIGGER SCORES IF THEY WERE ALL EQUAL?........

PLEASE DISCUSS?
    "HAS ANYONE SEEN ME TURNIPS"

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar

What happened to auto-de-CAPS of an all-CAPS post?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Rules
    NO SHOUTING - Posting in all-caps is considered shouting on the internet. Please don't do this!

my apologies everyone,just a habit i have got into

I feel the size of grounds is the most over-rated factor in the how many runs a batsman scores. It doesn't matter how big the field is if you get out - prevent that from occuring and you'll score runs. Obviously the pitches play a large part in that though...
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Has to have an effect tho. The shorter the boundaries the more likely you are to see miss-hits & top edges sail over the fence. Bat technology has improved markedly too.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Has to have an effect tho. The shorter the boundaries the more likely you are to see miss-hits & top edges sail over the fence. Bat technology has improved markedly too.
    Yeah, both the bats and the boundaries give the batsman a greater freedom to play more aggressively . Shots do not carry the same level of risk as previously.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

boundaries are the basic reason for such high scores plus bit with the bat, and 20/20 and the powerplays but boundaries are the main reason

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah it has some effect, but not a huge one, IMO. It only has an effect on how quickly a batsman scores really (except when they are hitting sixes that just clear the fielder's head over the rope.. but that's fairly rare in test cricket) rather than how long he stays out there.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Yeah it has some effect, but not a huge one, IMO. It only has an effect on how quickly a batsman scores really (except when they are hitting sixes that just clear the fielder's head over the rope.. but that's fairly rare in test cricket) rather than how long he stays out there.
    Not necessarily I'd say. A boundary ten yards shorter can mean the difference between top-edging a pull into third man's welcoming grasp & a six.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    That ground yesterday in the Aus v SA match was just plain ridiculous. The pitch looked like concrete and the ground was about as big as my back garden (a slight exaggeration). Compare this to the MCG or the WACA back in the old days when they used the advertising hoardings as boundary markers, and it seems a bit unfair doesn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

my thoughts exactly phoenix fire

The shorter boundaries and improved technology does have an effect on the ability of a batsmen to hit high/fast scores but so has the advent of one-day cricket. i.e todays playing generation have all grown up with one day cricket as a form of cricket to model their game on as youngsters causing them to becoome more aggressive.

Most cricketers also play more one-day cricket, gone are the days of schools playing matches larger than 50 overs a side and the largest club games you get are two day games (in australia at least)

well then hilts3188 i dont no if anyone else noticed but i heard a certain ex cricketer on sky sports ask the same question, i think when the pitch is so small they should give the top order batsmen smaller bats or sponge balls anyone agree?
    bring back the turnip six

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    But couldn't it work the other way?

Bigger playing areas = more singles/twos/threes oppurtunity and more area to hit the ball in without being caught.

Was too young in the olden days but i doubt it has that much affect, i mean, the boundaries in Australia are huge, doesn't mean the scores are noticeably lower.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information