• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ODI Captains

southafrica

Cricket Spectator
Here's a list, feel free to disagree! :)

1) Flemming (New Zealand)
2) Ponting (Australia)
3) Smith (South Africa)
4) Dravid (India)
5) Lara (West Indies)
6) Vaughn (England)
7) Ul Haq (Pakistan)
8) Jayawardene (Sri Lanka)

I miss Zimbabwe's Tetenda Taibu, thought he was a gutsy player, and potentially great captain... just another thing Robert has messed up...

southafrica

Cricket Spectator
He brings the team together, he has insightful field placings, and is generally an excellent leader....oh yes, and I'm South African

southafrica

Cricket Spectator
You're lucky I didn't put him at number one! It takes a lot for a South African to admit that an Aussie is better!:happy:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
I'd probably rate Smith 3rd too.

Ponting and Smith do have 1 key thing over Fleming and Vaughan - they are both very good ODI batsmen. Smith is about 40 and Ponting averages 43. Fleming is down at 32 and Vaughan is 28. That, for me, limits their potential impact on a game and thus limits their captaincy slightly.

Matt79

Global Moderator
In ODIs, I'd actually rate Ponting as the best - just ahead of Fleming. He's a better ODI captain than Test captain, he uses his brilliant charges in the field very effectively, and also consistently fulfils the "lead by example" component of the captaincy role - he must have played more "captain's innings" than anyone else in ODIs at the moment... His leadership in ODIs has had its blemishes, but rarely in games of consequence, and even more rarely when he wasn't let down by selection issues (ie. you try effectively using Mick Lewis)...

Fleming is obviously an innovative captain who has often wrung more from his team than you'd guess was there. Recently however, I'd say that many of his attempted innovations, particularly with the use of power-plays, have failed more than they've succeeded. I also don't think he has the authority within his team and the respect of the opposition in the way Ponting does.

I know people are probably trying to separate the contributions the captains make AS CAPTAIN compared to as a player, and you can do that to an extent. But if a player isn't pulling his weight in the team, I think his effectiveness as a captain usually suffers - witness Flintoff in Australia during the Ashes...

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fleming is obviously an innovative captain who has often wrung more from his team than you'd guess was there. Recently however, I'd say that many of his attempted innovations, particularly with the use of power-plays, have failed more than they've succeeded. I also don't think he has the authority within his team and the respect of the opposition in the way Ponting does. ...
Totally disagree with that comment, infact I think you would find he is very highly thought of and respected by opposition as a player, captain and as a person.

Fiery

Banned
Fleming would have a lot more respect from his opposition as a captain than Ponting. I've always seen Ponting as an unsophisticated (slightly uncouth), short guy who couldn't handle his drink who happens to also be one of the best batsmen of all time.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Totally disagree with that comment, infact I think you would find he is very highly thought of and respected by opposition as a player, captain and as a person.
I think it's fair to say that Fleming gets more respect as a captain while Ponting gets more respect as a batsman.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think it's fair to say that Fleming gets more respect as a captain while Ponting gets more respect as a batsman.
undoubtably...and i'd say Fleming would be more respected as a person since he doesn't seem to be such a spoilt so and so as Ponting

pasag

RTDAS
Fleming would have a lot more respect from his opposition as a captain than Ponting. I've always seen Ponting as an unsophisticated (slightly uncouth), short guy who couldn't handle his drink who happens to also be one of the best batsmen of all time.
Was something like 8 years ago, time to get over it I reckon.