• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Celebrations (wickets and hundreds)

southafrica

Cricket Spectator
A clear sign that the value of cricket has adjusted itself.

When Matthew Hayden scored the fastest world cup ton on the 24th, he hit Greame Smith for a massive straight six, was followed by a wry smile, a hug from Ricky Ponting and ready to face the next ball.

Andrew Flintoff, seriously, watch the highlights of the Kenya game, and look at the wicket he got LBW, the umpire gave him out, and Flintoff just stood there as though nothing had happened...

Is this a sign that the value of a century or that of a One Day Wicket has been devalued due to small grounds and weaker teams? Personally, if I were a Kenyan (and as a South African) I find this behaviour insulting to opposing teams....

Your thoughts?

Bouncer

State Regular
There are still teams that value scoring against minnows and feeling good about themselves recent example can be Imran nazir against ZIm and indians have always been a side who play huge attention to stats and averages, # of 100's etc....people like gangully and sehwag are a huge example of it...who have relied on minnows and less pressure conditions to booost their overall averages, # of 100's etc.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
I have a cousin who's 11, I bowled him the other week and I ran around the garden swinging my shirt like a mental man. I celebrate every wicket like its the wicket of Ponting or Tendulkar, and I am dissapointed to see what looks like a lack of passion in the international game. I suppose you could say that it is professionalism in its highest form. When you play cricket for a living, and you score the amount of runs, and take the amount of wickets a consistent interntaional player does do, It could be said that you geniunly lose the euphoric feeling as it wears on over a period of time. The players in question (Flintoff and Hayden) have been doing it for years and I can empathise with them not displaying the same level of emotion as you would expect. Even though Hayden has set that world record, he may also feel that he has more of a job to do, and leaves the celebrations untill later.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
I think the Aussies tend to celebrate less during the match then they used to - they save the celebrations until the job is finished. Hayden apparently doesn't watch his score too much so he might not have realised at first either.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Yeah, Hayden may not have realized he got the fastest ton in WC. I know Afridi didn't know about his fastest ton well after the match was over.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Any player with any sense should realise that a game against Kenya is not comparable to one against, say, Sri Lanka.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I dont get why people are expected to act like idiots for doing a part of their job. Save your celebrations for big deals.

For a good player a wicket, 50 or even a hundred is just a start. Achieving it is nice but not the ultimate aim, the aim is to do more.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, true.

Mildly sickening when bowlers jump up and down and scream about having dismissed a tailender.

I'm all for showing emotion, and caring, and the like, and certainly every wicket's worth some sort of celebration, but some bowlers seem to be unable to contextualise.

It's pretty hilarious looking back at the Laker 10-for, and has remained so every single time I've done it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
WRT Fred, he hardly even appealed for the LBW for his first wicket either. I think, in all fairness, he's got his "business" head on now after last weekend's highjinks. Obviously one doesn't wish to see all the joy drained out of cricket, but I suspect Flintoff was somewhat chastened by the experience.

Or one would hope so.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Best bit of advice I was ever given. 'Act like you have been there before'. Nothing looks more amateurish than jumping around and acting like its your first ever wicket or runs.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The players in question (Flintoff and Hayden) have been doing it for years and I can empathise with them not displaying the same level of emotion as you would expect.
Flintoff isn't exactly in a position where an exuberant celebration of a wicket would be the look for him.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm sorry but Dwayne Bravo ain't no "legend" IMO.Not until he actually fulfills his potential and actually turns in really consistent performances.I do like a cricketer who plays with a smile on his face for eg Bravo,Ambrose and Murali.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm sorry but Dwayne Bravo ain't no "legend" IMO.Not until he actually fulfills his potential and actually turns in really consistent performances.
Dwayne Leverock is a legend.

Sorry to offend you, but he is.
God forbid anyone enjoy sport though.