• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Personalities/ Interesting characters

Moe_Syzlak

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I again want to thank you guys for helping a newbie understand the game. In reading around I noticed there are quite some interesting characters in cricket. I wanted to post some football players and see who their equivalent in the cricket world is:

Pelé: The King
Diego Maradona: Second fiddle to Pelé, but always in the argument who was better, not so smart off the field
Eric Cantona: Firey temper, kicked an opposing fan in the stands, great for press conferences
David Beckham: Metrosexual, is he a football player or a model?
Robbie Fowler: Looked promising, failed drug tests and "snorted" the end line in response to cocaine rumors
Wayne Rooney: Boy wonder
Oliver Kahn: German keeper, ageless wonder
Roberto Baggio: Divine ponytail, great career, is only remembered for missing penalty kick that lost the WC for Italy in 94
Ray Hudson: small time player in England, played in the NASL, is known in the States for his press conferences, quips and quotes, after a important win he said "I'm higher than a hippy at Woodstock, other quotes: "We had just strung like 17 passes together, beautiful silky soccer, and I turn around and see a guy yawning in the crowd. I wanted to jump over the fence and head-butt him.", "I mean, it's astounding. An absolutely incredible, miraculous situation that Rangers are champions now of Scotland. It was drama at its absolute all-time greatest. I mean, two goals within the last two minutes of the game to rob Celtic. Celtic choked right at the end; Rangers are dancing the jig, and eating the haggis until it comes out their ears, followed by whisky shots straightaway after the game, and it's marvelous for McLeish. I'm a Rangers man myself, so I had a good belt of whisky after that game." the man is a quote machine.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Pelé: The King - Don Bradman

David Beckham: Metrosexual, is he a football player or a model? - Kevin Pietersen

Robbie Fowler: Looked promising, failed drug tests (no he didn't) and "snorted" the end line in response to cocaine rumors - Shane Warne

Wayne Rooney: Boy wonder - Liam Plunkett :p Nah. I guess it was Sachin tendulkar, but I can't pick one for now,

Roberto Baggio: Divine ponytail, great career, is only remembered for missing penalty kick that lost the WC for Italy in 94 - Herschelle Gibbs, dropped the WC in 99

speirz

State Regular
Oliver Kahn, ageless wonder - Glenn McGrath, Chaminda Vaas
David Beckham, meterosexual - Micheal Clarke

Matt79

Global Moderator
Robbie Fowler - Shoiab Akhtar - simultaneously the fastest, and one of the best, bowler in the world (or was), and walking media headline and controversy magnet. Currently missing the World Cup "injured" after some unpleasantness about possible steroid abuse late last year.

Pele - Don Bradman. Except that the margin between Pele and any other soccer player doesn't come close to the gap between Bradman and second place. Cricket is a game with an obsession with statistics similar to baseball, and the gap by which he was statistically the greatest player has never been approached in any sport which is competed at a serious level internationally.

Diego Maradona - Shane Warne. Worshipped as a god by many, particularly in Australia, reviled as a moron by many others. Regarded as one of the greatest bowlers of all time - currently he has taken more wickets than anyone else in Test cricket history, and commonly demonstrated his genius on the field. Equally commonly got himself into all kinds of hot water off the field. Always interesting, always controversial, always in the media headlines. Has at times porked up a la Diego as well.

Wayne Rooney - if Rooney can translate his brilliance at an early age into two decades of consistently performing brilliantly at the very highest level, he'd be the equivalent of India's Sachin Tendulkar.

Eric Cantona - Pakistan's Shahid Afridi. All round and explosive skills have thrilled fans like few other players, but had many many dramas for his behaviour. Most recently suspended after trying to hit a fan with his bat.

sideshowtim

Banned
Robbie Fowler: Looked promising, failed drug tests and "snorted" the end line in response to cocaine rumors

Has to be Asif. Looked promising then failed a drugs test? Asif to a tee.

andmark

International Captain
Pele----Shane Warne. Endless Wonder at what he did

Deigo Maradonna-----Don Bradman. The unexpected great.

Wayne Rooney-----Brian Lara. The scorer of most matches.

Paul Robinson-----Liam Plunket. The one day wonder.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Has to be Asif. Looked promising then failed a drugs test? Asif to a tee.
TBF, Fowler didn't actually fail a drugs test, there's just always been rumours about him

The_Bunny

State Regular
Pelé: The King - Don Bradman

David Beckham: Metrosexual, is he a football player or a model? - Kevin Pietersen /Shane Watson

Robbie Fowler: Looked promising, failed drug tests (no he didn't) and "snorted" the end line in response to cocaine rumors - Shane Warne

Wayne Rooney: Boy wonder - Liam Plunkett :p Nah. I guess it was Sachin tendulkar, but I can't pick one for now,

Roberto Baggio: Divine ponytail, great career, is only remembered for missing penalty kick that lost the WC for Italy in 94 - Herschelle Gibbs, dropped the WC in 99
I only made one change:ph34r:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
A word for Lance Klusener in terms of Roberto Baggio - and Walsh/Ambrose have a shout for being Kahnalikes.