• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Farewell to Inzamam

pup11

International Coach
Inzi's timing to announce his retirement was pretty poor, i mean to announce his retirement just after 24 hours of Bob Woolmer's demise was really an insensitive thing to do.

It was a face-saving act from Inzi to save his neck so that he is not ridiculed any further in Pakistan. He should waited a little longer to announce his retirement IMO.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Watching Inzamam play pace bowling was sheer delight, I felt privileged.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
Inzi's timing to announce his retirement was pretty poor, i mean to announce his retirement just after 24 hours of Bob Woolmer's demise was really an insensitive thing to do.

It was a face-saving act from Inzi to save his neck so that he is not ridiculed any further in Pakistan. He should waited a little longer to announce his retirement IMO.
Still better than some of the players from the neighbouring country who would prefer being forcefully thrown out from the game in utter humiliation rather than going out of game with their own will with some honor at appropriate time.

pup11

International Coach
I mean what sense is there behind Inzi not retiring from test cricket too, because seriously i don't think he would be selected after all the drama that took place in Inzi's tenure as captain.

pup11

International Coach
The best retirement came from Warney IMO, he was at the top of his game when he left the scene there was the temptation of playing one last Ashes series in 09 and one last WC and probably even reaching the 1000 test wickets milestone but he didn't let all this change his mind and he bid goodbye to game like a true champion.

Though i hated his decision to retire when he announced it, but today i really respect him even more for his decision.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Bye bye Inzi. Your retirement press conference was one of the most classless things I have ever seen in cricket.

Not suprised though.

Fusion

Global Moderator

Bye bye Inzi. Your retirement press conference was one of the most classless things I have ever seen in cricket.

Not suprised though.
8-) My God, cut him some slack! He had just lost a close friend, the WC, and knew he was making a rather unspectacular exit from the game he loved. You guys can't allow for the fact that emotions got the better of him, rather than he being "classless" and calculating in the timing of his retirement? Inzi is a class player and human being. It was not a malicious (or self-centered) announcement. It was simply a guy shaken up by the events that had taken place and reacting accordingly.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
8-) My God, cut him some slack! He had just lost a close friend, the WC, and knew he was making a rather unspectacular exit from the game he loved. You guys can't allow for the fact that emotions got the better of him, rather than he being "classless" and calculating in the timing of his retirement? Inzi is a class player and human being. It was not a malicious (or self-centered) announcement. It was simply a guy shaken up by the events that had taken place and reacting accordingly.
Ditto. I find it quite classless that people are having a go at him like this tbh.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Ditto. I find it quite classless that people are having a go at him like this tbh.
His retirement press conference got a lot of placid people angry and he deserves the pummelling he got from sections of the press during the question.

As for Inzi and Woolmer being close friends, well ???

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tbh, it was a pretty poor decision to make the announcement on that day.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Tbh, it was a pretty poor decision to make the announcement on that day.
Ok let's say it was. I'm contending that the poor decision was made due to his emotional state at the time. Goughy and Pup are claiming it was because Inzi is generally classless and wanted to avoid the negative reception he was bound to receive at home. I think that's utterly ridiculous. In times of extreme stress and personal loss, I would expect that anyone can make a poor judgment.

Fusion

Global Moderator
As for Inzi and Woolmer being close friends, well ???
You are saying they weren't friends? You have proof to the contrary? Because I'm going off Woolmer's words. He always stated he had a good relationship with Inzi and stressed time and time again how much he enjoyed working with him. Does that mean they agreed on everything and never had arguments? Of course not! Even successful marriages don’t work like that. I think it's rather unfair on your part to imply that Inzi didn't like Woolmer and his retirement announcement was just an opportunity to shift blame away from himself.

Edit: I was being rather harsh, which is not my style. I edited for that reason.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I think it's rather unfair on your part to imply that Inzi didn't like Woolmer and his retirement announcement was just an opportunity to shift blame away from himself.
I didnt actually suggest that. From my POV I think Inzi just went ahead and did what he thought was best for Inzi. I dont think he calculated something, he just didnt get that calling a 'big' press conference the day after Woolmers death and then barely mentioning him and having it revolve around himself would kick up a stink.

Not calculated IMO, but self centred

pup11

International Coach
Anyways how good is Inzi's decision to continue playing test cricket, and then how good are his chances of being selected to play in the test team.