• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will greg leave? If so, then whose next?

Dravid

International Captain
India are now 99.9% out of the world cup. Chances are really high that Greg Chappell will be fired. This is was a horrible world cup for India and changes are needed. I would be devastated if Greg is restrained as coach of India. My thoughts are, fire him, try getting John Wright back as coach of India. IMO John Wright was the best coach India had so far. Your thoughts?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well... might it not be a good idea just to not have got rid of Wright ITFP?

Can't really expect him to come back there.

I'd imagine the first thing Greg Chappell will be thinking of is how to retain his life, though... :mellow:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Whether Greg C is a good coach or not shouldnt really come into the equation. The performance has been terrible and his position is untenable (sp?).

Has to go. As for who will replace him, I dont know. Would anyone want the job?

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, plenty of people would want the job. It's not necessarily good for their careers if they accept - but I would guarantee that there would be lots of candidates.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I like Chappell as a coach, and I don't think an ODI tournament should decide on the future. We have an important away season coming up in England and Australia, and I'd wait for that. We did win for the first time since 1971 in WI and we won for the first time ever in SA. Counts for something, even though we crumbled in the 2nd and 3rd test.

I don't think its really Chappells fault, and its really our batting lineup that needs to be revamped almost entirely. Ultimately though, he is the coach and has the responsibility. He has to show signs of improvement in England and Australia.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think its really Chappells fault, and its really our batting lineup that needs to be revamped almost entirely. Ultimately though, he is the coach and has the responsibility. He has to show signs of improvement in England and Australia.
I think it is actually an attitude problem (probably cultural but Im not knowledgable enough to pinpoint it) that both India and Pakistan have.

By far India and Pakistan appear to have the most out of shape and unathletic teams. Especially when compared to another Asian team like Sri Lanka.

I do not think the players take fitness and prepartation seriously. SS (Manan) do you remember when I posted about watching India's bowlers and fielders warming up for a game against SA? It was embarassing in how poor it was and how it lacked in effort and the fact they made the coaches wait 10 mins on the field twiddling their thumbs.

I dont think the coaches have enough power to tell the players to pull their ****ing socks up and get with it. The players are too powerful and have too much public support.

Indian and Pakistani cricket reminds me of a combination of English football 15 years ago and now.

15 years ago English clubs started to have an influx of Continental players and training was revolutionised and the levels of professionalism improved dramatically. People were sceptical at the start but there has been a massive beneficial change. People didnt know how backwards the training culture was until outside blood came in.

Now though, similar changes would be difficult to make as the players are too powerful and highly paid. Coaches cant shout at players or instil discipline. It is a different game.

Thank god for English football the changes came before the player power increased. Im worried that the playing and training culture may be too far ingrained and the players too powerful to change it in Indian and Pakistani cricket.

Thats why I dont think either are a coaching job worth taking. Any coach will come in with lots of ideas and soon realise that they will be hard to impliment.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think it is actually an attitude problem (probably cultural but Im not knowledgable enough to pinpoint it) that both India and Pakistan have.

By far India and Pakistan appear to have the most out of shape and unathletic teams. Especially when compared to another Asian team like Sri Lanka.

I do not think the players take fitness and prepartation seriously. SS do you remember when I posted about Indias bowlers and fielders warm up for a game against SA? It was embarassing in how poor it was and lacking in effort and the fact they made the coached wait 10 mins on the field twiddling their thumbs.

I dont think the coaches have enough power to tell the players to pull their ****ing socks up and get with it. The players are too powerful and have too much public support.

Indian and Pakistani cricket reminds me of a combination of English fotball 15 years ago and now.

15 years ago English clubs started to have an influx of players and training was revolutionised and the levels of professionalism improved dramatically. People were sceptical at the start but there has been a massive change.

Now though, similar changes would be difficult to make as the players are too powerful and highly paid. Coaches cant shout at players or instil discipline. It is a different game.

Thank god for English football the changes came before the player power increased. Im worried that the playing and training culture may be too far ingrained and the players too powerful to change it in Indian and Pakistani cricket.

Thats why I dont think either are a coaching job worth taking. Any coach will come in with lots of ideas and soon realise that they will be hard to impliment.
Gotta say it's something that's crossed my mind.

Still, I'd honestly expect plenty of people to be still willing to try - even if only through naivity.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
By far India and Pakistan appear to have the most out of shape and unathletic teams. Especially when compared to another Asian team like Sri Lanka. Problem is one of mentality. Once they become superstars, they feel like they own the team and don't have to answer to anyone. No one in India will ask them for anything, and they can pretty much get anything they want for free. There was an article on cricinfo where a West Indian cricket star had to pay a fee to travel around at the air port. There is 0 chance that an Indian player would have to even stop to ask if they want to pay.

At some point, you take things for granted and become a bit spoiled. Why spend two hours a day working out in the gym when you can go to a news channel that's going to pay you $1000 per minute of live interviews (yea, really that much).

Goughy said:
I do not think the players take fitness and prepartation seriously. SS do you remember when I posted about Indias bowlers and fielders warm up for a game against SA? It was embarassing in how poor it was and lacking in effort and the fact they made the coached wait 10 mins on the field twiddling their thumbs.
Agreed. They don't care, or at least many don't.

Goughy said:
Public? Even on this board, when Chappell said something to the effect of 'stop fooling around on cell phones and get to work', certain Indian members took issues with the coach and not the players. That was so completely ridiculous to me that a coach can't do something simple as yell at players for not putting enough effort without it being a front page story.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Chappell for one was given complete support by the men that matter and was supported. Remember Ganguly v Chappell? The board had to select one and decided to go with Chappell. Team selections too, Chappell-Dravid got who they wanted mostly. Chappell was definitely given the backing necessary for some one to weild power if thinks it necessary.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Throw massive piles of cash towards Moody and hire him away from SL. At least I wish Pakistan would do that!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH I dread to think what attitudes are going to be towards the Pakistani coaching position for the next 20 years or so.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Chappell for one was given complete support by the men that matter and was supported. Remember Ganguly v Chappell?
Yeah and tell me how smoothly did that go? Was it a case of making a decision and getting on with life or did it cause uproar that lasted until Ganguly got back in the team? I think we both know the answer.

Just because the decision was made doesnt mean that there aren't huge issues associated with it.

Fusion

Global Moderator
TBH I dread to think what attitudes are going to be towards the Pakistani coaching position for the next 20 years or so.
True. It's wishful thinking on my part to expect any big-name coach to accept the Pakistani position. More realistically, the board will hire a separate bowling and batting coach, both of whom will probably be Pakistani's.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah and tell me how smoothly did that go? Was it a case of making a decision and getting on with life or did it cause uproar that lasted until Ganguly got back in the team? I think we both know the answer.

Just because the decision was made doesnt mean that there aren't huge issues associated with it.
Ganguly wasn't recalled - thoroughly deservedly so - by the very same regime?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket

Uproar was caused because we weren't having results. To keep supporting the team management, More, the then chairman, stated Ganguly wouldn't be brought back in his tenure (which More denied later but Ganguly was never recalled in his tenure again).

When Ganguly performed after being recalled by the new selection committee after all options had been tried and India kept on losing, Chappell himself said he wanted him back or some thing on those lines.

I do not see your point specifically regarding Chappell you tried to make. He was given freedom and had it the way he wanted it.

Woodster

International Captain
When its talked about a revamp of the Indian batting line up, what changes are people thinking of exactly ?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I do not see your point specifically regarding Chappell you tried to make. He was given freedom and had it the way he wanted it.
My point was about the players themselves, their attitudes and what impact a coach can have when dealing with said characters.

The point was that there is a cricketing culture in place that doesnt prepare properly and work as hard as other nations. The players are too powerful (at least one of the potential reasons)

Having the support of the board doesnt mean a coach can talk to player how he might like to or be able to put the systems he would want to have in place.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
A coach telling player who wasn't performing that he needs to get his act together, or a coach's admonishment of a team who wasn't doing its job should never have been a 'controversy' in the first place.