Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will greg leave? If so, then whose next?

Will greg leave? If so, then whose next?

India are now 99.9% out of the world cup. Chances are really high that Greg Chappell will be fired. This is was a horrible world cup for India and changes are needed. I would be devastated if Greg is restrained as coach of India. My thoughts are, fire him, try getting John Wright back as coach of India. IMO John Wright was the best coach India had so far. Your thoughts?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Well... might it not be a good idea just to not have got rid of Wright ITFP?

Can't really expect him to come back there.

I'd imagine the first thing Greg Chappell will be thinking of is how to retain his life, though...
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Whether Greg C is a good coach or not shouldnt really come into the equation. The performance has been terrible and his position is untenable (sp?).

Has to go. As for who will replace him, I dont know. Would anyone want the job?
    Last edited by Goughy; 23-03-2007 at 03:41 PM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Yea, plenty of people would want the job. It's not necessarily good for their careers if they accept - but I would guarantee that there would be lots of candidates.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

I like Chappell as a coach, and I don't think an ODI tournament should decide on the future. We have an important away season coming up in England and Australia, and I'd wait for that. We did win for the first time since 1971 in WI and we won for the first time ever in SA. Counts for something, even though we crumbled in the 2nd and 3rd test.

I don't think its really Chappells fault, and its really our batting lineup that needs to be revamped almost entirely. Ultimately though, he is the coach and has the responsibility. He has to show signs of improvement in England and Australia.

Lol, Greg Chappell better make sure his door is locked tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I don't think its really Chappells fault, and its really our batting lineup that needs to be revamped almost entirely. Ultimately though, he is the coach and has the responsibility. He has to show signs of improvement in England and Australia.
    I think it is actually an attitude problem (probably cultural but Im not knowledgable enough to pinpoint it) that both India and Pakistan have.

By far India and Pakistan appear to have the most out of shape and unathletic teams. Especially when compared to another Asian team like Sri Lanka.

I do not think the players take fitness and prepartation seriously. SS (Manan) do you remember when I posted about watching India's bowlers and fielders warming up for a game against SA? It was embarassing in how poor it was and how it lacked in effort and the fact they made the coaches wait 10 mins on the field twiddling their thumbs.

I dont think the coaches have enough power to tell the players to pull their ****ing socks up and get with it. The players are too powerful and have too much public support.

Indian and Pakistani cricket reminds me of a combination of English football 15 years ago and now.

15 years ago English clubs started to have an influx of Continental players and training was revolutionised and the levels of professionalism improved dramatically. People were sceptical at the start but there has been a massive beneficial change. People didnt know how backwards the training culture was until outside blood came in.

Now though, similar changes would be difficult to make as the players are too powerful and highly paid. Coaches cant shout at players or instil discipline. It is a different game.

Thank god for English football the changes came before the player power increased. Im worried that the playing and training culture may be too far ingrained and the players too powerful to change it in Indian and Pakistani cricket.

Thats why I dont think either are a coaching job worth taking. Any coach will come in with lots of ideas and soon realise that they will be hard to impliment.
    Last edited by Goughy; 23-03-2007 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Yea, plenty of people would want the job. It's not necessarily good for their careers if they accept - but I would guarantee that there would be lots of candidates.
    Yeah, Mohinder Armanath might get it this time, mightn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    I think it is actually an attitude problem (probably cultural but Im not knowledgable enough to pinpoint it) that both India and Pakistan have.

By far India and Pakistan appear to have the most out of shape and unathletic teams. Especially when compared to another Asian team like Sri Lanka.

I do not think the players take fitness and prepartation seriously. SS do you remember when I posted about Indias bowlers and fielders warm up for a game against SA? It was embarassing in how poor it was and lacking in effort and the fact they made the coached wait 10 mins on the field twiddling their thumbs.

I dont think the coaches have enough power to tell the players to pull their ****ing socks up and get with it. The players are too powerful and have too much public support.

Indian and Pakistani cricket reminds me of a combination of English fotball 15 years ago and now.

15 years ago English clubs started to have an influx of players and training was revolutionised and the levels of professionalism improved dramatically. People were sceptical at the start but there has been a massive change.

Now though, similar changes would be difficult to make as the players are too powerful and highly paid. Coaches cant shout at players or instil discipline. It is a different game.

Thank god for English football the changes came before the player power increased. Im worried that the playing and training culture may be too far ingrained and the players too powerful to change it in Indian and Pakistani cricket.

Thats why I dont think either are a coaching job worth taking. Any coach will come in with lots of ideas and soon realise that they will be hard to impliment.
    Gotta say it's something that's crossed my mind.

Still, I'd honestly expect plenty of people to be still willing to try - even if only through naivity.

By far India and Pakistan appear to have the most out of shape and unathletic teams. Especially when compared to another Asian team like Sri Lanka. Problem is one of mentality. Once they become superstars, they feel like they own the team and don't have to answer to anyone. No one in India will ask them for anything, and they can pretty much get anything they want for free. There was an article on cricinfo where a West Indian cricket star had to pay a fee to travel around at the air port. There is 0 chance that an Indian player would have to even stop to ask if they want to pay.

At some point, you take things for granted and become a bit spoiled. Why spend two hours a day working out in the gym when you can go to a news channel that's going to pay you $1000 per minute of live interviews (yea, really that much).

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy
    I do not think the players take fitness and prepartation seriously. SS do you remember when I posted about Indias bowlers and fielders warm up for a game against SA? It was embarassing in how poor it was and lacking in effort and the fact they made the coached wait 10 mins on the field twiddling their thumbs.
    Agreed. They don't care, or at least many don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy
    Public? Even on this board, when Chappell said something to the effect of 'stop fooling around on cell phones and get to work', certain Indian members took issues with the coach and not the players. That was so completely ridiculous to me that a coach can't do something simple as yell at players for not putting enough effort without it being a front page story.

Chappell for one was given complete support by the men that matter and was supported. Remember Ganguly v Chappell? The board had to select one and decided to go with Chappell. Team selections too, Chappell-Dravid got who they wanted mostly. Chappell was definitely given the backing necessary for some one to weild power if thinks it necessary.

Throw massive piles of cash towards Moody and hire him away from SL. At least I wish Pakistan would do that!

TBH I dread to think what attitudes are going to be towards the Pakistani coaching position for the next 20 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush View Post
    Chappell for one was given complete support by the men that matter and was supported. Remember Ganguly v Chappell?
    Yeah and tell me how smoothly did that go? Was it a case of making a decision and getting on with life or did it cause uproar that lasted until Ganguly got back in the team? I think we both know the answer.

Just because the decision was made doesnt mean that there aren't huge issues associated with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    TBH I dread to think what attitudes are going to be towards the Pakistani coaching position for the next 20 years or so.
    True. It's wishful thinking on my part to expect any big-name coach to accept the Pakistani position. More realistically, the board will hire a separate bowling and batting coach, both of whom will probably be Pakistani's.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information