• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Talking "smack" : DE VILLIERS: I WILL RELISH THE ABUSE

Moe_Syzlak

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
In this article it alludes to 'verbal abuse' during the game. In the States this is usually referred as 'smack'. I gather it's pretty common, What kind of smack gets talked during games? Is there a limit? In American Football all sorts of stuff gets said on the line of scrimage, like in a scrum. After a while (in the NBA) the refs start to step in and warn the players. How does the judge handle this in Cricket? Again, thanks for those helping me out here.

SOUTH Africa batsman AB de Villiers is expecting a verbal onslaught from Australia in tomorrow's crunch Group A match.

"When you're playing Australia you know you're going to get a bit of abuse but I'm fine with that," said De Villiers. "A cricket game without abuse is not a cricket game. I actually enjoy that, I see it as a challenge. It needs some big-match temperament."

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
"Sledging" is the most common term in cricket, and the amount of it varies hugely.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
"Sledging" is the most common term in cricket, and the amount of it varies hugely.
Probably the most culturally sensitive area of the game. Some expect it and thrive on it as tough cricket (ie de Villiers in the interview) and others find the notion as a genuine insult and have their honour offended.

Its always interesting to see how people with different cultural persectives react to sledging.

Matt79

Global Moderator
If a player gets caught racially abusing somebody they get slammed, otherwise its pretty much ignored by the officials until a verbal confrontation develops into something more.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Ridiculous, tbh, Im so anti-sledging at the moment.. Fed up that such talented cricketers need to resort to abusing each other..

R_D

International Debutant
Ridiculous, tbh, Im so anti-sledging at the moment.. Fed up that such talented cricketers need to resort to abusing each other..
ditto.
I'm all up for sledging but not the personal abuse you see some times.
There's no need for it in the game.

Woodster

International Captain
I'm all for sledging. Nothing spices a game up like a bit of verbal confrontation. If the bowler can seek any kind of advantage in a game becoming increasingly batsman friendly, why should he not use it ? Personal insults are a bit harsh, I agree, but if you can rattle a batsman and force him into an unnecessary shot to claim his wicket, then game on.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
ditto.
I'm all up for sledging but not the personal abuse you see some times.
There's no need for it in the game.
You can add me to this particular list. If it's as essential as some would have us believe, how on earth did players manage not to abuse each other like this for best part of 100 years' test cricket?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That they didn't is not really a given, TBH.

It's oft said that Lawry and Chappell's teams were the first to sledge, but it's a bit like the Saqlain\Harbhajan invented the Doosra - there's substantial evidence Prasanna bowled it 30 years previously - and similarly, there's substantial evidence that the likes of Warwick Armstrong was more than happy with a word or six.

pup11

International Coach
Sledging or Abuse are not the right words to term the banter that goes out in the middle, i would like to call it as Steve "Tugga" Waugh use to "mental disintegration" sounds more classy that way.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Sledging or Abuse are not the right words to term the banter that goes out in the middle, i would like to call it as Steve "Tugga" Waugh use to "mental disintegration" sounds more classy that way.
A rose by any name might smell as sweet, but you can tie a pretty ribbon around a pig and its still a filthy animal... :D

pup11

International Coach
Yeah nice way to put your thoughts through there Matt, but i am not against sledging but when it goes down to the extent where a player abuses another individual on a personal level then i am all but against it.

For eg- Warney asking Collingwood that why did he get a MBE medal for making 7 runs at the Oval in Ashes 05 is perfectly fine with me. Now thats mental disintegration at its best as nothing objectionable was said by Warney there.

pup11

International Coach
So its all about how tough you are mentally and how well can you cope with this banter and concentrate on your game.

Its not that players are using four letter words and even far worse words for each other, all things are mostly said in a light-hearted manner and if you have answer your opponent you could do that by producing a good performance and that would be the best reply to them.

sideshowtim

Banned
Sledging is a beautiful part of the game as long as it doesn't start getting intensely personal or racial. Sledging gives us some of our finest ever characters and also tests the mental strength of many players.

Khaalis Gumbs

Cricket Spectator
Sledging,smacking whatever it is.

I'm all for sledging. Nothing spices a game up like a bit of verbal confrontation. If the bowler can seek any kind of advantage in a game becoming increasingly batsman friendly, why should he not use it ? Personal insults are a bit harsh, I agree, but if you can rattle a batsman and force him into an unnecessary shot to claim his wicket, then game on:laugh: :) .
. I am a a new member at this website and it's great.