• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup will be ours.... Sehwag reminds the world!

Dashing batsman Virender Sehwag said he was prepared to bat in the middle order to help the team's cause during next year's World Cup which "India will certainly win".

"India will certainly win. The World Cup will be ours," Sehwag said, exuding confidence in the team's ability to win the coveted trophy.

Choora

State Regular
Well, well Sehwag seems 2 be even more confident than me, i have tipped them as one of the fav's for the Cup, but he is 100 perecent certain that India will win it.
This shows just how much confident this side is!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Thats a bold statement, and im sure he'll be reminded of that by several teams if India struggle in the World Cup.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
And did he actually say that?

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't a spectacular mis-quote.

Yes, I've seen the article on khel.com but cuttings like that can mean anything. You need the transcript and context or you can make an interview say anything.

[Edited on 28/11/02 by Neil Pickup]

CricketGuru

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well unless Khel.com made a major mistake understanding the interview i dont think that there are much chances of the statement meaning anything else.

But anyways its too big of a statement by any batsman of a team whose bowling has failed totally and who have just lost an ODI series in their own country.

"He said that he was keen to settle an old score with Pakistan pace bowler Shoaib Akhtar, who had bowled him in his debut match." :lol: Good luck pal

wasims_fan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
If their batting struggles in the opening matches then they might even fail to qualify for the super sixes. Their bowling is the main concern,they will need to work really hard to stand a chance of winning the world cup.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Their batsman are world class, no doubt about that, but they simply dont have the bowlers to win the world cup. Im thinking the winner will come from Australia, Pakistan or New Zealand.

Originally posted by Neil Pickup
And did he actually say that?

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't a spectacular mis-quote.

Yes, I've seen the article on khel.com but cuttings like that can mean anything. You need the transcript and context or you can make an interview say anything.

[Edited on 28/11/02 by Neil Pickup]
I did not posted the complete article as i wanted to stick to the point.However here is the artilcle,

India will certainly win World Cup: Sehwag

PTI[ THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 28, 2002 01:49:24 PM ]

LUDHIANA: Notwithstanding his success as an opener, flamboyant batsman Virender Sehwag on Thursday said he was prepared to bat in the middle order to help the team's cause during next year's World Cup, which "India will certainly win".

"India will certainly win. The World Cup will be ours," Sehwag said, exuding confidence in the team's ability.

The explosive batsman said he was more concerned about playing his shots rather than bothering about his position in the batting order in the build up to the World Cup.

Sehwag, who has exploited fielding restrictions in the first 15 overs to often give his team a blazing start, was also not averse to the idea of going down the order saying "batting in the middle order is also thrilling and challenging.

"A good contribution by the top order batsmen make it easier for the middle order to play their shots more comfortably and aggressively but a low score in the beginning poses a challenge for the middle order batsmen to rise to the occasion," he said.

Sehwag, who was here on a personal visit, said the Indian team would take stock of the situation after the New Zealand tour and then chalk out a strategy for the World Cup.

He said that he was keen to settle an old score with Pakistan pace bowler Shoaib Akhtar, who had bowled him in his debut match.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Tim
Thats a bold statement, and im sure he'll be reminded of that by several teams if India struggle in the World Cup.
Yeah, i find his statement a bit stupid, he could have said that India have a great chance , but to claim that WC will be ours seems dumb to me especially since India happen to have lost a series at home recently!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah i'd say he's been misquoted there...but if Sehwag is actually that arrogant to say it..he'll become a marked man thats for sure.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Tim
Yeah i'd say he's been misquoted there...but if Sehwag is actually that arrogant to say it..he'll become a marked man thats for sure.
If he did actually say it then he's India's answer to Shoaib :lol:

nehrafan

Banned
Well i don't know why so much is being made of a small interview, i saw that on TV and the gentleman certainly looked like Veeru.He just expressed his feelings that he was pretty sure that India will win the cup and it will be ours once again.Almost every team is dreaming of it, of lifting the cup, so what if Sehwag said that he is preety sure that India will win it?

Originally posted by Rik
Originally posted by Tim
What?? Sehwag has been thrashing every single bowler with ease since some time, what makes you thing he can't handle Shoaib or any other pacer?? The guy is a ripper, can give a hammering to any bowler!

Bring on Donald,Akhter,Akram, McGrath and Lee, Sehwag is going to give them a real nightmare.

Top_Cat

What?? Sehwag has been thrashing every single bowler with ease since some time, what makes you thing he can't handle Shoaib or any other pacer?? The guy is a ripper, can give a hammering to any bowler!
I think you'll find he actually meant in terms of how arrogant he is. Shoaib was a pretty arrogant customer and so is Sehwag in this instance. It's not a bad thing, I reckon.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by TendulkarMark2
Originally posted by Rik
Originally posted by Tim

Bring on Donald,Akhter,Akram, McGrath and Lee, Sehwag is going to give them a real nightmare.
Eh? What the hell? I was talking about his comments, like the way Shoaib claims things all the time, so it looks like Sehwag might be an Indian Version of Shoaib in that respect! Sheesh I thought I had explained it well enough...:rolleyes:

Top_Cat

I don't believe it! We both posted at the same time!! First time that's ever happened to me!