• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup will be ours.... Sehwag reminds the world!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Good explanation Corey!

I'd like to see the full transcript (what was said fully, word-for-word) before I pass judgment.

He could easily have said "India will certainly win some of their group games" and "The World Cup will be ours again, one day".

anzac

International Debutant
that's very diplomatic of you Neil - and very reasonable!!!!

I would hope for Sehwag's sake (& India's???) that this gets cleared up shortly, as I can think of a few Kiwi bowlers who would like to put his confidence (arrogance) to the test!!!!

I would think that there would be some international interest in this NZ series to see just how the Indian team perform, and if they can pick any tips from Fleming re game plans etc - just as other teams have tried to follow NZ's lead v Martyn!!!!
If anything comes out of it v Sehwag then they'll be queing up come the WC to remind him of it!!!!!

;)

Originally posted by Neil Pickup
Good explanation Corey!

I'd like to see the full transcript (what was said fully, word-for-word) before I pass judgment.

He could easily have said "India will certainly win some of their group games" and "The World Cup will be ours again, one day".
LOL! WC will be our ONEDAY:lol::lol::lol:, he was commenting on the '03 WC, nobody cares what happens after '03 right now.

Well Sehwag was asked about India's chances in the comming WC, and how is he himself was looking upto it.One is more than likely going to reserve ones comment on the '03 Cup than say "well don't know about comming WC but India will win the cup one day"!

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Neil just pointed out the possible context out of which the statement may have been extracted.

A - India will certainly win the world cup

B - India will certainly win some of their group games

Which if the two is more likely to be coming from an International player who is fully aware that the sun doesn't shine everyday ? Its just the context.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by TendulkarMark2
LOL! WC will be our ONEDAY:lol::lol::lol:, he was commenting on the '03 WC, nobody cares what happens after '03 right now.
Except India when they fail to get into the Semi-Finals...then they will be bothered about the next one...

SRTgrSDB

Cricket Spectator
Lets face it, six teams will enter the super 6.The one that will make it include,

Aus
India
Eng/Pak

SA
NZ
SL/WI

The teams likely to reach the semis are going to be.

1Aus
2SA
3Ind
4NZ

So the semis is most probably be between SA and India and the other b/w Aus and NZ.Considering SA's choking record and the added pressure of home crowd, they are more likly to falter, and hence India will have a much greater chance to reach the finals.Of the other semis, NZ can surprise Aus and reach the final (as they have been beating Aus recently).

So the final will be between India and NZ!! And who will be the winner? well, ur guess is as good as mine!:)

wasims_fan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
well how can you be so much sure that india will make it to the final with that type of bowling.And Nz beating australia and india beating south africa,its not as easy as you think.
West indies just won the series against india.Atleast i can say that india will find it difficult to qualify for the semi-finals and even super-sixes,unless they work on their bowling.

SRTgrSDB

Cricket Spectator
Originally posted by wasims_fan
well how can you be so much sure that india will make it to the final with that type of bowling.And Nz beating australia and india beating south africa,its not as easy as you think.
West indies just won the series against india.Atleast i can say that india will find it difficult to qualify for the semi-finals and even super-sixes,unless they work on their bowling.
All based on assumptions. SA for one is a better oneday team than India but i have a feeling that they are again going to lose the race, they simply chokes, and chokes badly.

Australia can ofcourse beat the Kiwi team, and then it will be a case of India vs Australia

CricketGuru

School Boy/Girl Captain
Originally posted by SRTgrSDB
All based on assumptions. SA for one is a better oneday team than India but i have a feeling that they are again going to lose the race, they simply chokes, and chokes badly.
Australia can ofcourse beat the Kiwi team, and then it will be a case of India vs Australia
Man be realistic at this moment even West indies is a better team than India, please start realizing that Indian batting can be compared with SA and Australia but their bowling is not worth comparing at the moment. I am sorry if the reality bites.

[Edited on 30/11/2002 by CricketGuru]

SRTgrSDB

Cricket Spectator
With the return of Sachin,Ganguly and Z Khan Indian team is only going to get stronger!

If you are willing to write India off just on the basis on the performance of one series, then Aus & SA stand no chance as they didn't even qualify for CT final, however we all know thats not the case!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year

With the return of Sachin,Ganguly and Z Khan Indian team is only going to get stronger!

If you are willing to write India off just on the basis on the performance of one series, then Aus & SA stand no chance as they didn't even qualify for CT final, however we all know thats not the case!
Yes but sorry to remind you that although Khan is the best Indian Pacer he is no where near Pollock or McGrath as far as pacers go...and guess who they play for? Yes, SA and Aus, the 2 teams India will have to play to win the WC...sorry but no chance...

SRTgrSDB

Cricket Spectator
Originally posted by Rik

Yes but sorry to remind you that although Khan is the best Indian Pacer he is no where near Pollock or McGrath as far as pacers go...and guess who they play for? Yes, SA and Aus, the 2 teams India will have to play to win the WC...sorry but no chance...
This doesn't prove anything, Gibbs or Kallis maybe the best SA batter are no where near Tendulkar, so what conclusion can be driven from it????

Noone gave India a chance in the '83 WC against the great WI team , yet India won the cup.Infact in WC Fav's have always failed so its good that Aus are the favs:D, as for SA, as i said earlier they have a much better allround team than India but they will choke as always and will lose the race!

bigvince

Cricket Spectator
India ahead of Pakistan, England and Zim in the first stage.
:lol:

India will not make the second phase.
Their fielding is still decades behind, their "pace bowlers" ( enough to make any batsman double over in laughter ), their spinners saw their rear ends the last time they visited SOUTHERN Africa.

The icing on the cake Dravid is not a wicket keeper and I hope they pay for that. He's a batsman, PERIOD.

India has the batting lineup ONLY.

masterblaster

International Captain
bigvinny, if youve seen India play recently, weve got some very good fielders now, Dinesh Mongia, Yuvraj, Kaif, Tendulkar, Laxman and Dravid (slips) are all fine fielders in their various positions.

So your arguement has no base in it whatsoever. And about Zaheer Khan, one of his early wickets in his career was a yorker to Steve Waugh which knocked out his middle stump out of the ground, and Zaheer is sharp too.

So you really seem to have no clue