• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why do you enjoy seeing England's cricket team get beaten ?

speirz

State Vice-Captain
Opinion based on pretty brainless conjecture - and it's a shame you'd come to dislike the entire team based on some less-well-educated people's patently misinformed views.
Well it's more hoping the team loses, so I can shove it in the face of fans on the other forum.

Sandman

Cricket Spectator
Michael Vaughn comes across as an arrogant S.O.B., I despise him. The only player in the team with any talent is Kevin Pietersen. Flintoff had it but hasn't done anything since they won the Ashes, except get drunk in public. Panesaar I like, he brings something to the game with his excitement. Basically I think they are a crap team who rides the luck too much. But that is just my opinion...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
WTF?

So Andrew Flintoff and Matthew Hoggard are possessed of no real talent.

O...........K...........

And has it occurred that Michael Vaughan plays the part of an arrogant SOB because it suits his team?

Sandman

Cricket Spectator
As I said, Flintoff had it, but hasn't done anything since England won the Ashes. And Vaughn's arrogace doesn't suit the team cos they're not that good. And that is just my opinion, you an think what you like.

Fiery

Banned
Fair call Sandman. English cricket has been desparately dissappointing in the last 20 years apart from the brief highlight in 2005 which has since been proven to be a fluke.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As I said, Flintoff had it, but hasn't done anything since England won the Ashes. And Vaughn's arrogace doesn't suit the team cos they're not that good. And that is just my opinion, you an think what you like.
Vaughan's barely been a part of the team since summer 2005 - and they were certainly damn superb in the 2 years up to (inclusive) that. His arrogance suited and helped the team as far as I'm concerned.

If you think Flintoff hasn't done anything of note since The Ashes (I'm presuming you mean the 2005 one - no-one's done anything since the 2006\07 one, we've not played any Tests) I don't really know what more can be done. There's a million and one great things he's done.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Fair call Sandman. English cricket has been desparately dissappointing in the last 20 years apart from the brief highlight in 2005 which has since been proven to be a fluke.
That's nonsense, absolute nonsense.

There were many excellent points through the course of the the 1990s (fair call that we were utterly crap 1986-1989 - we were) and in 2000 and early 2001 and 2004 and early 2005 there was one long highlight of excellent cricket.

Sure, we've never been the best side in The World for an extended period, but that's an unrealistic expectation - England have only once, briefly, been such a thing since the First World War. But we've accomplished plenty nonetheless.

In any case, summer 2005 certainly wasn't a fluke - a one-off, yes, but not a fluke. We utterly outplayed Australia, simple as. We weren't good enough to kick-on from there, but that does not for one second take away from the calibre of cricket produced in summer 2005.

Fiery

Banned
That's nonsense, absolute nonsense.

There were many excellent points through the course of the the 1990s (fair call that we were utterly crap 1986-1989 - we were) and in 2000 and early 2001 and 2004 and early 2005 there was one long highlight of excellent cricket.

Sure, we've never been the best side in The World for an extended period, but that's an unrealistic expectation - England have only once, briefly, been such a thing since the First World War. But we've accomplished plenty nonetheless.

In any case, summer 2005 certainly wasn't a fluke - a one-off, yes, but not a fluke. We utterly outplayed Australia, simple as. We weren't good enough to kick-on from there, but that does not for one second take away from the calibre of cricket produced in summer 2005.
Nah, it was a fluke...a well'constructed fluke mainly because of Australian complacency but a fluke none-the-less

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nonsense, again. Australian complacency played little or no part - Australians have been complacent before near enough every series in the last 18 years - and with good reason. Most of the time, it's not meant they lost.

England simply played better than anyone could ever have dreamed they'd play. And Jason Gillespie lost it at the wrong time.

That and McGrath's injury were the only remotely flukey thing about the series.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Man, I thought we'd gotten over the period where people would continually bag England for no apparent reason, and claim things about the 2005 Ashes that simply aren't true. Seems not. :dry:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Ashes 2005 - the Aussies got scared of ghosts and then lost. End of.

Last edited:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Michael Vaughn comes across as an arrogant S.O.B., I despise him. The only player in the team with any talent is Kevin Pietersen. Flintoff had it but hasn't done anything since they won the Ashes, except get drunk in public. Panesaar I like, he brings something to the game with his excitement. Basically I think they are a crap team who rides the luck too much. But that is just my opinion...
Worst post. How can a player who scored a double hundred against the best side in the world, then two successive 100s against the best side in the world in ODIs, have no talent?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I enjoy seeing any English team lose because I'm an emotional masochist. The agony is so exquisite. Happily, after a couple of recent-ish successes (RU WC in 2003, 2005 Ashes), our lads have gracefully slid back into the mediocre sludge from whence they briefly poked their heads.

Fully expect Kenya & Israel to both win on the morrow.

Langeveldt

Soutie
So Vaughan is an arrogant SOB and Pietersen isn't??