• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why do you enjoy seeing England's cricket team get beaten ?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I enjoy seeing the England cricket team lose at ODI cricket, because it's so obvious that they don't take it very seriously most of the times. I support the Test team though.
It's more obvious to me that there are a load of players who are crap at it, TBH.

If you really think Tim Bresnan and co would be any better if they took it seriously, well...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
IMO a section of the supporters are the only ones that don't take it seriously. Anyone in the ECB who realises what's at stake clearly does; any player who seriously tells you he doesn't care when he pulls on the blue jersey needs to be chucked out of the game for good; and there are a good few fans (me, for an example) who don't take terribly kindly to the repeated selection of utterly rubbish players (like Tim Bresnan) for ODIs, which should tell you that we care just a tidgy midgy bit.

I hate this "England doesn't care about ODIs" stereotype, I really do. It's not quite as bad as the "West Indians smoke weed" stuff, granted, but I'm sure you can see where I'm coming from.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's the result - I damn well care about what happens with the players - and the team that gets built for the WC.

Yes?

And believe it or not, if you get a good team, you'll start winning ODIs too...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
IMO a section of the supporters are the only ones that don't take it seriously. Anyone in the ECB who realises what's at stake clearly does; any player who seriously tells you he doesn't care when he pulls on the blue jersey needs to be chucked out of the game for good; and there are a good few fans (me, for an example) who don't take terribly kindly to the repeated selection of utterly rubbish players (like Tim Bresnan) for ODIs, which should tell you that we care just a tidgy midgy bit.
The system of English cricket so clearly does not focus on ODI cricket in any regard. Test cricket is the main goal of success as far as England is concerned. This, especially under Duncan Fletcher. Success in ODI cricket is a bonus.

Fiery

Banned
I don't mind their cricket team doing well and always support the English soccer team in World Cups but hate their rugby team with a vengeance straight from hell

Langeveldt

Soutie
At the moment they have a thoroughly miserable, uncharismatic coach and aren't playing a particularly interesting breed of cricket at the moment.. Their selection policy is horrific too.. I hope they prosper in test matches, but I don't think they deserve any success in the One Day format, they don't take it seriously enough

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The system of English cricket so clearly does not focus on ODI cricket in any regard. Test cricket is the main goal of success as far as England is concerned. This, especially under Duncan Fletcher. Success in ODI cricket is a bonus.
Test cricket is the more important of the two - and rightly so in the minds of near enough everyone. Probably in the minds of near enough every single fan on this board, too, regardless of nationality.

However, I'll say it again - everyone at ECB realises how important ODIs are to the general scheme of things. As for Duncan Fletcher - this is the man who specifically (and more than once) called for more ODIs and less Tests. It's easy to get the impression that someone willing to pick Tim Bresnan doesn't care. But it's certainly not true. You just need to read some of the stuff he's said. Even after the Ashes victory, he was still talking about how excited he was about the development of the ODI team (which was promptly ruined by 4 or 5 injuries). The notion that DF does not take ODIs seriously is an unfair one.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
When we lose I'm close to tears. I don't like it when England lose.

Last edited:

speirz

State Vice-Captain
It's just the way it's always been. I always liked players from other sides better than those from English sides.

speirz

State Vice-Captain
Spot the Au-ah, no, already done that...
It's just I always disliked Atherton, Stewart, Hussain, Gough etc whereas in other countries like South Africa (Rhodes), Pakistan (M.Ahmed), India (A.Kumble) I could always find a player I found exciting and liked to watch.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Disappointing, TBH. I just don't get how anyone could dislike any of those 4... not to mention Angus Fraser, Robert Croft, Graham Thorpe, Andy Caddick, etc.

Each to his own, simple as.

speirz

State Vice-Captain
Disappointing, TBH. I just don't get how anyone could dislike any of those 4... not to mention Angus Fraser, Robert Croft, Graham Thorpe, Andy Caddick, etc.

Each to his own, simple as.
Some players like Thorpe and Croft I liked, just not to the same extent as others from different countries. Mainly though i've developed more of a dislike for the current team after the 2005 Ashes, after I heard many claims of England being the best in the world etc after one series (opinion based on a different forum).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Some players like Thorpe and Croft I liked, just not to the same extent as others from different countries. Mainly though i've developed more of a dislike for the current team after the 2005 Ashes, after I heard many claims of England being the best in the world etc after one series (opinion based on a different forum).
Opinion based on pretty brainless conjecture - and it's a shame you'd come to dislike the entire team based on some less-well-educated people's patently misinformed views.