• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Intro to Cricket

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, if you're all out you don't get your full 50 overs.

There is no limit on the overs in a Test, but the standard is 5 days and 90 overs per day. This can be reduced and enlarged by any number of factors.

cricnewbye

Cricket Spectator
Nice to have you here Moe. I'm Italian and I came to learn Cricket and love it. Now I think I have quite a good knowledge of the game and I really enjoy it. It was a slow but not painful process and now Cricket is my fav sport along with football (soccer).
Try to start following One Day games, like the World Cup ones, and then move to the longest form, Test Matches.
Good luck.
Max.

Moe_Syzlak

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
On the Test/ ODI (and the other forms I have read, 20/20 etc.), are there players who play one, but not the other? Like Joe Jablonski plays for his side on ODI, but doesn't for Tests? I assume fatigue is a factor. Maybe Joe has a wicked arm that plays great for one day but is burned out the next. Can you substitute players in and off the field while a match is in progress like football? How about on tests, over several days. Can the line up change day to day? Once again, really interesting game here.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's not often through choice (though some players do retire from one form of the game) - there are just some players who are good at one form and not at the other. There are quite a few differences between the two games, and there are a good many players who can play well in one form but are pretty average in the other.

Sadly, that's been the case for near on 20 years and most selectors are still only just catching-up to it!!!!!!!!!!!

LA ICE-E

State Captain
it depands some players play only test and while others only play odi- one day may not suit slow players and so they are better at test while sluggers are not suited for test so they play odi often...20/20 is a few fun form which is like baseball and last about 2 and half hours...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, it wasn't. Tests have been all sorts of things - 3-day, 4-day, 6-day.

Timeless Tests were only ever extreme rarities.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
but it was time less...so things change and you just need to know the current rules to learn not what it was in the history...

Moe_Syzlak

A question on ODI that seemed to have slipped through that I was curious about and didn't see answered: Hypothetically, could two monster batsman (combined with very poor bowling and butter finger fielders) play all 50 overs?

Moe_Syzlak

BTW, I found that thread where "Stefano" started to ask questions, and that is also a very informative and helpful thread, but lots of "sledging" ;) amongst the posters.

Craig

World Traveller
The biggest unbroken opening partnership in ODI history:West Indies [200/0] beat India [199/7] by 10 wickets.

This chase was actually bigger [221/0] but had one batsman retiring hurt.
And for Moe, a batsman can retire hurt if he gets injured say gets a cramp and can't keep on batting, so he goes off and the next batsman replaces him, but he is technically "not-out" and if he has recovered and when a next wicket falls he can go back out and again and resumes his score (for example if he was on 45, and then when he goes back out he would be on 45 again).

Moe_Syzlak

And for Moe, a batsman can retire hurt if he gets injured say gets a cramp and can't keep on batting, so he goes off and the next batsman replaces him, but he is technically "not-out" and if he has recovered and when a next wicket falls he can go back out and again and resumes his score (for example if he was on 45, and then when he goes back out he would be on 45 again).
OK, suppose he is on the 3rd ball of the 15 over (this is represented as 15.3, correct?) He hurts his arm and must come off (in this example, he faced the 3rd ball). He is ok after a couple overs. Does he get 6 new balls, or does he only face the three remaining from his over? What about a "bench"? Can players not in the starting lineup enter the game? Is there a limit to substitutions?

oz_fan

International Regular
OK, suppose he is on the 3rd ball of the 15 over (this is represented as 15.3, correct?) He hurts his arm and must come off (in this example, he faced the 3rd ball). He is ok after a couple overs. Does he get 6 new balls, or does he only face the three remaining from his over? What about a "bench"? Can players not in the starting lineup enter the game? Is there a limit to substitutions?
Once he goes off injured the next batsmen will come in however this will not be counted as an 'out' so the team will still have the same amount of wickets remaining with the option of the injured batsmen returning . He is only allowed to return after another batsmen gets ou;t he cannot simply replace him when he feels ready. Once he returns he'll continue play as though he is a new batsmen but will keep however many runs he scored.

There are no substitutions in cricket. There used to be a system in ODI's called super sub but there is no point knowing that because it was abolished.

Moe_Syzlak

There are no substitutions in cricket. d.
Thanks for the answer. In regards to no subs, this then is like football, where a player is injured (and must come off) after you have used your subs, you must play a man short?

A) If/when you are fielding, you are one fielder short?
B) If you are due to bat, can someone replace him in the (batting) lineup? (Suppose he ran into another fielder, or was injured somehow fielding)

tadeusz

State 12th Man
Teams are allowed to name a "twelfth man", who can act as a substitute fielder if need be, but cannot bowl or bat.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, you can have as many substitute fielders as you want, but none of them can bat or bowl, or act as the wicket keeper. So if you're playing a 5 day Test match, and one of your players gets injured on the first day, it means you've got one less batsman or bowler for the rest of the match, or until he's fit to play again.