• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Intro to Cricket

Moe_Syzlak

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
LA ICE: Thanks for the video links. Another thing I was doing was following the World Cup on The Sun (UK) site, they have computer animated coverage, and it is starting to make sense. In addition, I downloaded a Cricket game for my palm pilot, and that is helping ALOT. Last night is REALIZED part of the game I didn't understand. Alot of it has to do that I am thinking "baseball"-wise. Basically, instead of 9 innings, switching sides every "3" outs, Your whole lineup goes up one after another until all are out. Then the other team goes up and tries to beat your score with their line up. Guys, you got an awesome game here.

Kriketer

Interesting to see someone from Brasil interested in cricket. Does anyone even play cricket in Brazil, Moe?

Moe_Syzlak

Interesting to see someone from Brasil interested in cricket. Does anyone even play cricket in Brazil, Moe?
Well, I'm not Brasilian, I'm Cuban-American. I just live and work in Brasil. I was introduced to Cricket during the last World Cup. There was a Dunkin Donuts owned by Pakistanis and a Jamaican sandwich shop in the same strip mall close to my house. They were really into it and it caught my attention. I tried to understand it then, but I just didn't get it. I had a DishTV and the guy from the donut shop would give me money to order games on PPV, give me tapes so I could record games for him to watch later. Some things I got, some things I didn't. With the news about the current Cup, I figured I'd give it another shot.

As far as Cricket in Brasil, there is a Brasilian Cricket fed, but I've never heard much about it. I mean, this is Brasil, theres really only one game in town (or country, if you want to get picky). To be fair though, basketball and volleyball are pretty popular, and there is even a (American) football beach league. Cricket is a bit more popular in Argentina. The coach of the team I work for spoke of this to me when he saw I was watching some cricket videos.

Moe_Syzlak

Wow I gotta thank LA ICE for those video links. All I had found up to now on google video and youtube was game videos and a Nike commercial. Those videos cleared things up a bit, but, I am embarrassed to say, a "kids" video really helped. "Stumpy and Willow" which seems to have been made by SkySports cleared up alot. There is so much more i'd like to understand, but that video helped. Thanks and I hope I'm not too much of a bother.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
happy to help! may be you can get other people into the game too, who's curious just like you. if you have any confusion, just ask.

Stefano

School Boy/Girl Captain
Try Wikipedia first. Then if you have any questions, post them here. I remember we had an Italian who became interested in cricket and the questions he actually raised pointed out some of the bizarre and ridiculous part of the sport.
I am still here! I started watching cricket 2 years ago! And now, I really like it! I never post because I am still an "amateur". But I read this forum a lot!

For our new Brazilian friend. Have a look to this site!

http://www.dangermouse.net/cricket/

Craig

World Traveller
Wow I gotta thank LA ICE for those video links. All I had found up to now on google video and youtube was game videos and a Nike commercial. Those videos cleared things up a bit, but, I am embarrassed to say, a "kids" video really helped. "Stumpy and Willow" which seems to have been made by SkySports cleared up alot. There is so much more i'd like to understand, but that video helped. Thanks and I hope I'm not too much of a bother.
Not a problem. To understand fielding a lot better and it's positions:

Of course it would be the opposite if a left hander was batting. Since you have to have a bowler and wicket-keeper you have nine fieldsmen left so the captain has to place his fieldsmen and to try and save runs and get wickets.

To quote wikipedia:

Modifiers

Deep, long
Farther away from the batsman.

Short
Closer to the batsman.

Silly
Very close to the batsman.
Square
Somewhere along an imaginary extension of the popping crease.

Fine
Closer to an extension of an imaginary line along the middle of the pitch bisecting the stumps.

Wide
Further from an extension of an imaginary line along the middle of the pitch bisecting the stumps.

Forward
In front of square; further towards the end occupied by the bowler and further away from the end occupied by the batsman on strike.
Backward

Behind square; further towards the end occupied by the batsman on strike and further away from the end occupied by the bowler.

Additionally, commentators or fans discussing the details of field placement will often use descriptive phrases such as "gully is a bit wider than normal" or "mid off is standing too deep, he should come in shorter".

Laws of cricket

Your not the only one who is posts on here who isn't from a cricket playing country so don't worry (we have two Dutch members, two from Italy, one from Fance, and one from Norway).

A batsman's average is worked out by runs scored and the number of times out, so for example a batsman can score 250 runs, but hasn't been dismissed, so he won't have an average, BUT once he get's out for the first time his average would be 250, get out another 9 times without adding to his run tally, then it would be 25. The higher the average the better. If you see his strike rate, that is the amount of runs scored per 100 balls, so if he scores 70 off 100 then his strike rate would be 70, or likewise if he scores 10 off 20 balls faced, then his strike rate would be 50 and so. Again the higher the better in most cases.

But for bowlers it is the opposite, the wickets taken are counted with the runs conceded. So for example a bowler takes 4/100 (4 wickets for 100 runs) then his average would be 25 or 2/200 then it would be 100 his bowling average, and so on. However, the lower the average the better. His bowling strike rate is calculated against the amount of balls bowled tto take a wicket, and the lower the better. So a bowler takes 1/40 off ten overs, then his average would be 40 and his strike rate would be 60, as on average he is taken one wicket per 60 balls bowled. However, if he took one more wicket, for the same amount of runs and overs, then his average would be 20 and bowling strike rate would be 30 and so on.

You will hear talk of "economy rates" or "runs per over" (same thing) and what they mean is runs calculated against the overs bowled. The lower the better in most circumstances. If 60 runs are conceded off 10, then his economy rate would be 6 runs per over, but if it were 30 runs off 10 overs then it would be 3 runs per over conceded and so on (or bowl 2 overs and concede 10 runs would be 5 per over). A bowler can bowl three overs and concede 20 runs in it, but bowl two more overs and not concede a run (called "maidens") then he would have 5 overs bowled for 20 runs which would give him an economy rate of 4.

For a team fielding the less amount of runs conceded, so lower the run rate (runs per over) is good, but for a team the higher the better as more runs are scored and big scorers are coming quicker.

Anyway, I hope you don't lose track and it doesn't seem so confusing, I have given you a run down in basics of the game in simple ways to follow. If you are looking for a 'Babe Ruth' of the sport then look at Sir Donald Bradman.

ekshi

Cricket Spectator
You have two sides one out in the field and one in .
Each man that's in the side that's in goes out and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out .
When they are all out the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out .
Sometimes you get men still in and not out .
When both sides have been in and out including the not outs , THAT'S THE END OF THE GAME !

Moe_Syzlak

Hey guys thanks a bunch. Alot of the basics are setting in, and this is my third or fourth try at understanding the game. There is one thing I am not clear on. The batman, and how they rotate. Is it one over to one batter, one over to the other? Unless I am confused, and I may be, sometimes I think that within the same over, the batsman changes?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
In simple terms: The batsman who is about to recieve the delivery from the bowler is called the Striker, and the batsman who is at the opposite end (not receiving a delivery) next to the umpire, is called the Non-Striker. When the Striker hits the ball into a gap, the two batsmen can run between the wickets. They each have to get to the oppostie ends without a fielder throwing the ball at the stumps and breaking either wicket. When the striker and the non-striker get to their appropriate ends, they can either opt for another run, or stay where they are. If they stay where they are, the batsman who was the non-striker, is now the striker, and batsman who was the striker is now the non-striker.

Moe_Syzlak

Once again, thanks. The more and more I understand, Cricket seems beautifully simple but intricate. I can't believe it wasn't clearer before.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
As far as Cricket in Brasil, there is a Brasilian Cricket fed, but I've never heard much about it. I mean, this is Brasil, theres really only one game in town (or country, if you want to get picky). To be fair though, basketball and volleyball are pretty popular, and there is even a (American) football beach league. Cricket is a bit more popular in Argentina. The coach of the team I work for spoke of this to me when he saw I was watching some cricket videos.
If you want to learn more locally or even watch a game here is an article from gringoes.com on Brazilian cricket

http://www.gringoes.com/subcategoria.asp?ID_categoria=6&ID_subcategoria=141

Syzlak for the "Hussey"? :)

Moe_Syzlak

Question about 'reading' the score:
Port of Spain, Trinidad: Sri Lanka 254/6, India 185. Sri Lanka won by 69 runs.
Kingston, Jamaica: Ireland 183/8, West Indies 190/2. West Indies won by 8 wickets.

254/6 Sri Lanka scored 254 runs and 'got' 6 wickets. India has no /. Does that mean all outs were "caught"?
Why does it say Sri Lanka won by 69 runs, but West Indies won by 8 wickets?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
254/6 Sri Lanka scored 254 runs and 'got' 6 wickets. India has no /. Does that mean all outs were "caught"?
Why does it say Sri Lanka won by 69 runs, but West Indies won by 8 wickets?
When it says 185 or 498 or any number like that without another number next to it like 1185/5 or 498/0, it means that that team was all out, or in effect 156/10.

Sri Lanka won by 69 runs because they bowled out the opposition when they were 69 runs short of their target.

West Indies won by 8 wickets because they chased down their target with 8 wickets in hand.

Moe_Syzlak

And to be sure, this current World Cup, is played under "One Day" rules, which I have read differs from "Test" correct?

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Indeed they do. The WC (World Cup) is 50 overs per side, where as Tests are pretty much unlimited.
One-day=50 overs & one innings per team.
Test=unlimited overs, 2 innings per team(the teams rotate after each innings similar to baseball, but only twice.) Also a test can go up to 5 days but no longer.

Moe_Syzlak

I decided to figure out the 5 day tests first, so most of the reading I have done is on that. With these 50 overs, that is the limit, correct? Hypothetically, could two monster batsman (combined with very poor bowling and butter finger fielders) play all 50 overs? And it is 50 overs, or all out, whatever comes first correct?