• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Intro to Cricket

Moe_Syzlak

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I have a question about an Under 18 coming up between I think it is England and Pakistan. Is this a good measure of future talent? Alot of times in football you will see a side do well in "youth" tournaments, and then when they mature it is like they totally lost their talent.

Moe_Syzlak

Brian Lara and Tendulukar (?sp?). I read how the fans of their countries are now asking for them to retire. Is this pretty common in cricket? From the bit that I have read, they seemed like they did well for their sides and now the fans are turning on them. How long on average does a International player career last?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Brian Lara and Tendulukar (?sp?). I read how the fans of their countries are now asking for them to retire. Is this pretty common in cricket?
Same as any other sport.

Moe_Syzlak said:
How long on average does a International player career last?
Used to be longer, but around 10-12 years, I would say. Depends on when you lose form or when you started, of course. Hussey started late so his career probably won't be 10 years.

StumpMic

Brian Lara and Tendulukar (?sp?). I read how the fans of their countries are now asking for them to retire. Is this pretty common in cricket? From the bit that I have read, they seemed like they did well for their sides and now the fans are turning on them. How long on average does a International player career last?
Reminds me of that gladiator quote: The mob is fickle. 8-)

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
The Guardian* is a left-wing rag, and I've never really read the Independent, good call on the Telegraph, but also, the coverage in the Times is top-notch.#

*probably has a decent sports-section mind
It has (the Guardian, that is). Their sports website, sport.guardian.co.uk, is excellent, with some really good columns, and I love their over-by-over commentary.

I used to read the Times, but got too annoyed with their descent into the gutter press -- oh, and the pro-Arsenal/ManU bias of their football correspondents (I'm a Spurs fan). They're pretty much just a glorified tabloid these days :(

Moe_Syzlak

Hey guys still here, following the WC. I have a question about another match I notied, Sussex v MCC. Is that a 2 innings Test? If not what format is it? And what is this match for?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Hey guys still here, following the WC. I have a question about another match I notied, Sussex v MCC. Is that a 2 innings Test? If not what format is it? And what is this match for?
It's a 2-innings "first class match" - so the level right below Tests. I think the official title is champion county match - Sussex won the County Championship last season and so play against MCC, who select a side of talented cricketers right outside the England team (who are obviously unavailable at present) to play them.

However, it's not much more than a glorified exhibition game.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think you're a bit mistaken. It works the other around. You can call it whatever you want, but its a Test if the ICC say so.
ICC says a lot of things, most of which make no sense. They can put it in the stats book as a Test, but that doesn't mean I will count it as such when looking at players' records. A lot of statisticians don't count matches like that as Tests, and I don't either.

shortpitched713

International Captain
ICC says a lot of things, most of which make no sense. They can put it in the stats book as a Test, but that doesn't mean I will count it as such when looking at players' records. A lot of statisticians don't count matches like that as Tests, and I don't either.
Are you seriously going to parse the records for one match whenever you refer to a player's Test batting or bowling average? 8-)

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Which is fine, but to tell a guy who is trying to learn about cricket that it doesn't count? Don't forget what what the thread is for.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
But I think its a widely held opinion that it does not count.
Its a ridiculous debate, really. I know it should not have counted, you're right that most will agree, but it did. Only reason I even said anything is because you made it sound like to the guy that it didn't count. Period. Which was not the case.