• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

how many senoir players retiring (confirmed) after the worldcup?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Paul Nixon hasn't confirmed it, but he might as well.
Even though it's a bit unorthodox, England may well keep him on for a year or so in the ODI team after the WC. Obviously he's not going to play another one, but if the management believe the keeper they have penciled in for the next WC will be done more harm than good playing right now, then they might keep Nixon as a stop-gap measure.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I honestly believe that if they've got anyone pencilled-in for 4 years' time they've lost their minds.

Right now, the truth of the matter is that, if you're not going to pick Chris Read (as IMO they should) Nixon genuinely is the best wicketkeeper-batsman in one-day cricket in the country.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't count out Ganguly and Tendulkar if India win the cup. Kumble should definitely go.
Kumble said he's retiring from ODI cricket after the World Cup. So he definitely will go.

Lara will almost certainly bow out of ODIs after the World Cup, regardless of the stage of the West Indies exit (or potential success).

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can see Nixon being used for a season or so to give Davies time.
Which they certainly should do - if they bring Davies in before he's ready he'll be a bit like McCullum used to be for us...dreadful. We're getting repaid for our patience with him now, but it would have been better to wait a couple of years before bringing him in IMO so I hope they do that with Davies.

corza_nz

School Boy/Girl Captain
thats embarassing if england use nixon for any longer. hes the worst keeper-batsmen in the world. still cant get over the fact hes playing at the world cup.

The_Bunny

State Regular
thats embarassing if england use nixon for any longer. hes the worst keeper-batsmen in the world. still cant get over the fact hes playing at the world cup.
Are you sure?8-)
I assume you have studied every one currently playing in any form of the game.......
Now if you said he was the worst among the top 8 nations then I might be more inclined to agree with you....
And do you reall think he is that bad...?

corza_nz

School Boy/Girl Captain
obviously i was over exagerating when i said he was the worst keeper batsmen in the world. but he is certainly the worst among the top 8 nations by a long way and probly worse then most of the minnow teams keepers also. sure he had one alright innings against nz last week and maybe one half decent innings in the commonwealth bank but thats not good enough when the rest of his 10 or so international knocks have been pretty appalling. and he never looks comfortable out there batting. its just so amazing hes the best england has at the moment.

The_Bunny

State Regular
obviously i was over exagerating when i said he was the worst keeper batsmen in the world. but he is certainly the worst among the top 8 nations by a long way and probly worse then most of the minnow teams keepers also. sure he had one alright innings against nz last week and maybe one half decent innings in the commonwealth bank but thats not good enough when the rest of his 10 or so international knocks have been pretty appalling. and he never looks comfortable out there batting. its just so amazing hes the best england has at the moment.
Looking uncomfortable doesnt make you a bad batsmen...
And give him a bit of leeway, I mean he has only had 12 matches and he seems to be settling into it.

:ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can see Nixon being used for a season or so to give Davies time.
Which they certainly should do - if they bring Davies in before he's ready he'll be a bit like McCullum used to be for us...dreadful. We're getting repaid for our patience with him now, but it would have been better to wait a couple of years before bringing him in IMO so I hope they do that with Davies.
It'd not be a case of Davies not being ready, TBH - right now he's just not that good a batsman in the short-form game and to pick him now would be a recipe for disaster. That may change, but then again it may not - I'd have no objection to Read in ODIs and Davies in Tests for the next 10 years.
Could always ask Nixon to play another four years before O'Brien qualifies. :p
Davies > O'Brien, TBH.

Mind, there are certainly worse keeper-batsmen out there.

Matt79

Global Moderator
If Read is a better batsman than Davies, as Rich seems to be suggesting, then I'd agree Davies is certainly not ready...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Only in the short game, though.

Davies I'd hope is easily better in the longer game. He's scored heaps of runs at 18 and 19 - it took Read another 7 years to do that.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
obviously i was over exagerating when i said he was the worst keeper batsmen in the world. but he is certainly the worst among the top 8 nations by a long way and probly worse then most of the minnow teams keepers also. sure he had one alright innings against nz last week and maybe one half decent innings in the commonwealth bank but thats not good enough when the rest of his 10 or so international knocks have been pretty appalling.
I had a quick look, and he seems to almost exclusively so far come in either in the middle of one of our trademark middle order collapses and thus be at about 110 or so for 5 or 6, or he's come in in the slog overs.

If someone comes in in the slog overs then a low score isn't the end of the world.

By the way, I'm sure you disregarded possibly his most important knock to date if you reckon he only played one half decent knock in the CB.