• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

how many senoir players retiring (confirmed) after the worldcup?

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Read isn't always as bad as he has been in most of his Tests. And TBH, yes, he did used to look better than he has done of late. Who knows why he's gone so badly downhill. Back in 2003 he looked $1,000,000.

Maybe beacuse he is constantly in and out of the side and never been given an consistent oppurtunity by DF.Read however did get runs last summer against Pakistan.It was no real surprise to be that he failed against the best bowling line up in the world.Been treated extremely harshly by DF IMO.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Richard said:
Read isn't always as bad as he has been in most of his Tests. And TBH, yes, he did used to look better than he has done of late. Who knows why he's gone so badly downhill. Back in 2003 he looked $1,000,000.
Read has always looked pretty disgraceful technically to me so it has amazed me he has scored the runs he has - especially in one day cricket. I trust you've seen more of him than me though so I'll take your word for it.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Read has always looked pretty disgraceful technically to me so it has amazed me he has scored the runs he has - especially in one day cricket. I trust you've seen more of him than me though so I'll take your word for it.
Pretty harsh IMO to say he has a "disgraceful" technique.In one day cricket he could be mightilly effective for England and is a much better option than Nixon,Jones or Prior.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yep - people surprise people sometimes. Read never looks like he's up to much, but he can be surprisingly gutsy of times. Not Test-class, though, and TBH I don't ever think he will be.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Maybe beacuse he is constantly in and out of the side and never been given an consistent oppurtunity by DF.Read however did get runs last summer against Pakistan.It was no real surprise to be that he failed against the best bowling line up in the world.Been treated extremely harshly by DF IMO.
Hmm...

He's hardly helped his case. All right, he didn't deserve to be dropped from the Test side at the start of 2006\07, and his axing from the ODIs in 2004 was a disgrace (but not remotely unexpected on my part - selectors are just too rigid in blurring the game-forms). I don't think he's been as badly treated as some people do.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Pretty harsh IMO to say he has a "disgraceful" technique.In one day cricket he could be mightilly effective for England and is a much better option than Nixon,Jones or Prior.
Technically speaking, Jones and Prior are infinitely better than Read. Obviously technique doesn't always count for everything - again, especially in one day cricket where someone like Jones who struggles to rotate singles is fairly useless. I haven't seen much of Nixon batting in proper situations, but I somehow doubt his batting technique is worse than Read's.

In one day cricket, I agree that Read should probably be selected at the moment. He's a better keeper than the other lot and isn't likely to have significantly less (if less at all, for that matter) usefulness with the bat, especially as a #8.

His technique is simply too dire to ever really score any runs in test cricket though, IMO, unless opposition bowlers decide to bowl every ball short of a length.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Jones hardly has a better technique than Read IMO.Both are just as bad TBH.Good thing that Steve Davies has piled on the runs for Worcester in the last 2 years...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Jones hardly has a better technique than Read IMO.Both are just as bad TBH.Good thing that Steve Davies has piled on the runs for Worcester in the last 2 years...
Jones's batting technique is actually really good, IMO. He plays with a straight bat in defence, hooks and pulls well, plays majestic shots off his pads and can drive well through the covers.

Jones's problem is, and always has been, the fact that his shot selection is ridiculously poor. If he played the correct shot to every ball, he'd average 50+ IMO because his technique is quite good.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Surely that applies to everyone (with a decent amount of talent), though!
Not really. There are many batsmen in world cricket who have great shot selection but simply have poor techniques to play said shots and hence don't succeed such heights.