• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan's Round table !!!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Another Pakistan thread?

Meh. I'll let it run for now and merge a couple of them in future.

Regarding the topic at hand, start by sacking the poor players - Imran Nazir, Mohammad Hafeez, Younis Khan, Danish Kaneria, Mohammad Sami, Rana Naved. Obviously referring to ODI cricket, though Sami and Naved can go from cricket in general.

FRAZ

International Captain
Another Pakistan thread?

Meh. I'll let it run for now and merge a couple of them in future.

Regarding the topic at hand, start by sacking the poor players - Imran Nazir, Mohammad Hafeez, Younis Khan, Danish Kaneria, Mohammad Sami, Rana Naved. Obviously referring to ODI cricket, though Sami and Naved can go from cricket in general.
Why Younis and Danish ?

FRAZ

International Captain
New ODI team

Hafeez
Yasir Hameed
Younis
Yousaf
Shoaib
Shahid
Azhar
Akmal
Gul
Asif
Kaneria

Mr Mxyzptlk

Younis is not a bad ODI player at all IMHO and Danish hasn't even been tried properly in the ODIs yet !
I'm not merely of the opinion that he's a poor ODI player - he just is. He simply has not performed in ODI cricket.

To quote myself:
He is definitely NOT a quality ODI player!
He averages less than 30 against teams other than Zimbabwe.
In 46 of his 127 completed ODI innings he has failed to reach 10. That means 36% of the time he fails to reach 10. That's less than 1 in 3. Too strict? Well in 70 of his 127 completed ODI innings he has failed to reach 20. So 55% of the time he fails to reach 20.

He has 2 ODI hundreds in 145 ODI innings. One of those - his highest ODI score - came against Hong Kong - 144.

Younis averages 49.85 (349 runs in 10 innings) against Bangladesh, with all of those innings coming before 2005, when it's easy to argue that Bangladesh was far from the side of present day. He averages 27.57 against sides other than Zimbabwe, Hong Kong and Bangladesh with 1 hundred and 18 fifties in 124 innings.

He has 176 runs in 5 innings combined (44 avge) against Kenya-Scotland-Ireland-Namibia combined. So take out all minnows and he averages 26.95.

Please, do tell in what way Younis Khan is at all possibly a quality ODI player. He's a poor ODI batsman. He simply is.
How can you argue with that? Blatant evidence against Younis' claim to being a decent ODI player.

And Danish Kaneria is so far short of ODI standard, it's baffling that he's anywhere near the team.

haroon510

International 12th Man
i think they should make sepprate one day and test team. players like younis khan danish kaneria and hafeez shouldn't be even close to the one day side. i think they should drop hafeez from both form of cricket with rana, sami,and azhar and they should be dumbed from the team for ever.

FRAZ

International Captain
Honestly speaking
I have no idea from where to start and where to finish !
I guess chosing a sane head of the board likes of Imran and a coach likes of Dav Watmore is the need of the day
I dont know it's messed up and beyond my control !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

haroon510

International 12th Man
Honestly speaking
I have no idea from where to start and where to finish !
I guess chosing a sane head of the board likes of Imran and a coach likes of Dav Watmore is the need of the day
I dont know it's messed up and beyond my control !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if pakistan cricket board request from imran khan to be the coach and if imran takes this responsibilty, pakistan would get over all this mess soon and would become a strong team. think about shoaib malik, younis khan and afridi as a captain of the team with imran khan coaching the team. i think this would be the best move ever in this type of satuation.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
if pakistan cricket board request from imran khan to be the coach and if imran takes this responsibilty, pakistan would get over all this mess soon and would become a strong team. think about shoaib malik, younis khan and afridi as a captain of the team with imran khan coaching the team. i think this would be the best move ever in this type of satuation.
What coaching credentials does Imran Khan have? Great players are completely different from great coaches.

And if there is one thing that could make me stop supporting Pakistani cricket, it would be Afridi as captain.

haroon510

International 12th Man
What coaching credentials does Imran Khan have? Great players are completely different from great coaches.

And if there is one thing that could make me stop supporting Pakistani cricket, it would be Afridi as captain.
Imran was a good leader, a good captain and according to the players who played the world cup 92 with him, imran was not only thier captain thier coach also. i don't think a good player needs coaching crednetials to coach a team.

Why is that so? i suppose afridi has a good record against india that is why. i was considering him as a captain cuz he is the most sainor player after inzi. a talented cricket and allrounder. he is a team's man.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Imran was a good leader, a good captain and according to the players who played the world cup 92 with him, imran was not only thier captain thier coach also. i don't think a good player needs coaching crednetials to coach a team.

Why is that so? i suppose afridi has a good record against india that is why. i was considering him as a captain cuz he is the most sainor player after inzi. a talented cricket and allrounder. he is a team's man.
Team's man? How many times has he gotten out playing a totally ridiculous shot when his team needed him to stay?

Mr Mxyzptlk

A good player needs to be able to coach to coach a team. It takes more than being a good player or even a good leader. There's more to it than that, especially at international level.

haroon510

International 12th Man
Team's man? How many times has he gotten out playing a totally ridiculous shot when his team needed him to stay?
u r only considering his batting. the guy can bowle, bat and he is the best fielder in pakistani team. his test bowling record is as good as Danish Kaneria. it is really hard to forget his bowling in Banglore test when almost every one thought that the match would be draw. he bowled Ganguly with beauty and get sechan and one another batsman. He didn't have a good 2006 year so did the whole pakistani team. In Sa one dayers he was the best bowler after Asif. these are the stuff that can't be ignored and that makes him team's man.

Fusion

Global Moderator

Exactly right on Imran. He has no coaching credentials. I can see him making a good PCB Chairman, but not a coach. As Chairman, he can start building a good domestic structure for Pakistan cricket, something he's championed for years. He has some good ideas on how to build the domestic cricket structure and has the dominant personality to get those ideas implemented. However, I can't see him being a good coach. He has no experience and frankly his continued support of certain players baffles me (Sami being the prime example). All of this is a moot point however as Imran would never accept either the Coach's or the Chairman's position. He's far too busy with politics now to do this. Besides, if he accepted, then he would be reporting to Mushraf, the Patron of PCB. Imran rejected an offer of being the country's Prime Minister under Musharaf, so there’s no way in hell he’s going to accept the (lesser) position in PCB.

Regarding Afridi as Captain, I think that would be a disaster. He's got no sense of responsiblity and would make a terrible role model for the young players on the team.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Fus beat me to it regarding Imran.

I'm amazed he's never offered himself as PCB Chairman - given the amount he's criticised the thing. I'm no expert on the appointment procedure, I seem to recall it's almost exclusively on President Musharraf's whim? If so that explains it if he turned-down the position of Prime Minister. A shame there are such strong links between Musharraf's Govornment and the PCB, really. He never even seems to have said "I'd be keen on the idea", just criticised whoever the current incumbant is.

But as a coach - no way, he's as far as I'm aware done nothing in the way of coaching either qualifications or experience. Clive Lloyd's case shows clearly that what you could do as captain in the 1970s and 80s doesn't translate to what you can do as coach in the 1990s and 2000s. Lloyd has worked far better as a consultant, with an outsider as coach.

I've no idea about Imran the politician, if he's doing a good job there then fair noof, as I've said more than once, politics is more important than cricket, but it still seems a bit of a shame someone possibly with much to offer is lost to Pakistani cricket.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I'm no expert on the appointment procedure, I seem to recall it's almost exclusively on President Musharraf's whim?
The PCB still do not have a constitution, so Musharaf appoints the Chairman. The President of Pakistan is traditionally the Patron of the PCB. Even if there was a valid constitution, the President would have considerable influence on who becomes Chairman. This system has inherent flaws due to people getting appointed because of favoritism, not necessarily qualifications.