• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan's Round table !!!

FRAZ

International Captain
Exactly right on Imran. He has no coaching credentials. I can see him making a good PCB Chairman, but not a coach. As Chairman, he can start building a good domestic structure for Pakistan cricket, something he's championed for years. He has some good ideas on how to build the domestic cricket structure and has the dominant personality to get those ideas implemented. However, I can't see him being a good coach. He has no experience and frankly his continued support of certain players baffles me (Sami being the prime example). All of this is a moot point however as Imran would never accept either the Coach's or the Chairman's position. He's far too busy with politics now to do this. Besides, if he accepted, then he would be reporting to Mushraf, the Patron of PCB. Imran rejected an offer of being the country's Prime Minister under Musharaf, so there’s no way in hell he’s going to accept the (lesser) position in PCB.

Regarding Afridi as Captain, I think that would be a disaster. He's got no sense of responsiblity and would make a terrible role model for the young players on the team.
Honestly speaking ! Imran can't do the coaching job under the current circumstances . Imran can be usefull as the chairman of selectors or as PCB chairman . But as he is so busy in his political life , nothing seems likely to me . Coaching is not Imran's job and that is for sure .
Anyways I guess that we need a sane person as a coach and that is for suer plus discipline should never be taken for granted . Why I don't like Younis is because he doesn't seem like being liked much by his fellow mates . Shoaib Malik is the best choice IMHO . And Afridi should be good as being a vice captain . This sort of a burdan might give him some sense of responsibility .
Match and overall physical fitness has let the Pakistani players down . SHoaib although is a legend but for my liking he should only be given one last chance and see if the players get jelous enough with him and he gets mentaly stressed ...

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
New ODI team

Hafeez
Yasir Hameed
Younis
Younis
Shoaib
Shahid
Azhar
Akmal
Gul
Asif
Kaneria

Atleast 3 players in the above lineup should have NO PLACE in future team (Hafeez,Azhar and Kaneria)

I would say,

Butt
Hameed
Malik
Yousuf
Yousuf
Razzak
Afridi
Akmal(only if better replacement is not available)
Gul
Asif
Anjum

reserves. Shahid Yousuf,Asim Kamal & the two pacers from junior WC

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
. Why I don't like Younis is because he doesn't seem like being liked much by his fellow mates . Shoaib Malik is the best choice IMHO . And Afridi should be good as being a vice captain . This sort of a burdan might give him some sense of responsibility .
Match and overall physical fitness has let the Pakistani players down . SHoaib although is a legend but for my liking he should only be given one last chance and see if the players get jelous enough with him and he gets mentaly stressed ...

Who doesn't like Younis Khan?? Shoaib Akhtar and Afridi, right ?? Well those fellows will have problem with any captain.You seriously expect Akhtar and Afridi to listen to someone like Malik??

Younis Khan should be the captain of Pak test and OD side.Younis though isn't a great OD player but since there are hardly any batsmen that can replace him from the OD team, therefore his place in OD side remains secure.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Atleast 3 players in the above lineup should have NO PLACE in future team (Hafeez,Azhar and Kaneria)

I would say,

Butt
Hameed
Malik
Yousuf
Yousuf
Razzak
Afridi
Akmal(only if better replacement is not available)
Gul
Asif
Anjum

reserves. Shahid Yousuf,Asim Kamal & the two pacers from junior WC
I'm sure 2 Mohammad Yousufs would be nice, but unfortunately since cloning can't be done so quickly and he's only allowed to bat once per game it ain't gonna be.

Asim Kamal's too old to be making his ODI debut now, and Rao and Hameed are little better than Kaneria, Hafeez and Azhar Mahmood.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Future Pakistan ODI team IMO

Imran Nazir
Salman Butt
Younis Khan
Mohammed Yousuf
Shoaib Malik
Shahid Afridi
Abdul Razzaq
Kamran Akmal
Rana Naved-ul-Hasan
Umar Gul
Mohammed Asif

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Asim Kamal's too old to be making his ODI debut now, and Rao and Hameed are little better than Kaneria, Hafeez and Azhar Mahmood.
Asim Kamal also doesn't strike me as an OD player.

Regarding Hameed, he's a fair bit better than Hafeez.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Future Pakistan ODI team IMO

Imran Nazir
Salman Butt
Younis Khan
Mohammed Yousuf
Shoaib Malik
Shahid Afridi
Abdul Razzaq
Kamran Akmal
Rana Naved-ul-Hasan
Umar Gul
Mohammed Asif
Younis Khan and Rana Naved aside, why do people seem to be under the illusion that Imran Nazir is a good ODI player?

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
When you get 160 in an ODI innings it will be pretty difficult to drop that person for a while even if it was against Zimbabwe.

Mr Mxyzptlk

When you get 160 in an ODI innings it will be pretty difficult to drop that person for a while even if it was against Zimbabwe.
The quantity may have been 160, but there was very little quality to that innings. There was a LOT of ugly slogging, some missed chances, and a LOT of bad bowling. I'd have no hesitation in dropping Imran Nazir after that innings. He's a poor player who cashed in against a poor bowling attack.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Regarding Hameed, he's a fair bit better than Hafeez.
So are 90% of batsmen to be picked for ODIs - and yes, Hafeez was picked as a batsman even if his bowling has since come to prominence more.

Hameed still isn't that good a ODI batsman IMO.

Mr Mxyzptlk

So are 90% of batsmen to be picked for ODIs - and yes, Hafeez was picked as a batsman even if his bowling has since come to prominence more.

Hameed still isn't that good a ODI batsman IMO.
He still averages 37.75 against teams other than Bangladesh, Kenya and Zimbabwe. Against India, South Africa, Sri Lanka and West Indies he averages over 35. Against New Zealand he averages over 45. In 30 innings against India, South Africa, Sri Lanka, West Indies and New Zealand, he has 1 hundred and 9 fifties.

Whether or not you think he's a good ODI batsman, he's performed well enough to be considered good enough for ODI cricket certainly. With only 10 innings outside the subcontinent, he's not been tested enough in that regard as yet.

Last edited:

godofcricket

State 12th Man
The quantity may have been 160, but there was very little quality to that innings. There was a LOT of ugly slogging, some missed chances, and a LOT of bad bowling. I'd have no hesitation in dropping Imran Nazir after that innings. He's a poor player who cashed in against a poor bowling attack.
I watched the highlights of his 160, and it wasnt as bad as ur making out to be.....you have to look at the positive side aswel.....that innings clearly showed hes got an amazing ability to strike the ball, he gave chances and he might have played some ugly shots but you cant take the credit away from that innings. The most important thing for me is the confidence he will get out it., you see the major problem with this pakistani line-up is the confidence, i watched that inzi innings and was thinking why did he not play such attackingly before?? and why didnt he come 2 down before that last innings when our openers constantly failed and the team was always under pressure and required the captain to lead from the front? It was completely above me.....

I feel nazir is the opener they should carry on with for atleast 6 to 8 months, hes got amazing talent, hes a very attacking player and more importantly hes not scared to go after the bowling, i do believe he needs to be abit more selective in his shot selection but that can easily come if a senior player or coach is ready to work on him. But removing a player who just scored 160 and got man of the match award to be DROPPED???? that would be completely insane.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
Would he have done any of what you mention had he not been missed several times?

No.

Seems all you were left with in the end were the if/had words.....IF it had gone that way, IF that happend, HAD they not missed etc......look i am not praising that innings as one of the best, all i am saying is Nazir is an amazing talent and they should stick with him for now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's no ifs about it - had Nazir been caught on the first opportunity, he WOULD NOT - that's stone-cold fact - have played the innings and so therefore such things you mention WOULD NOT have happened thanks to him.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
There's no ifs about it - had Nazir been caught on the first opportunity, he WOULD NOT - that's stone-cold fact - have played the innings and so therefore such things you mention WOULD NOT have happened thanks to him.
Your bringing such a pointless argument to this whole issue.......we can write big stories on what COULD have happend, it can apply anywhere. IF it didnt happen, it didn't, as simple as THAT. i was backing nazir before he was picked for the SA tour, he got the luck he needed and he HAS played that innings, now if you want to FOCUS on HAD and IF then your on your own.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If you back someone on the premises of him getting luck you're standing on dodgy ground.

There is, I repeat, NO IFS about the Nazir knock. It is stone-cold fact that had the first chance been taken he WOULD NOT have made many runs.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
If you back someone on the premises of him getting luck you're standing on dodgy ground.
I dont want to repeat myself over and over again. i told u before i backed him because of T-A-L-E-N-T.

There is, I repeat, NO IFS about the Nazir knock. It is stone-cold fact that had the first chance been taken he WOULD NOT have made many runs.
I agree there shouldnt be IFS, the fact is he did MAKE 160. and i did tell you before if you live on HAD/IF's then u will stay where u are now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The fact is anyone can make any number if they get the right number of let-offs. I'm not interested in what someone got before a chance was taken, I'm interested in what they get before they do what will normally result in dismissal.