Cricket Player Manager

Thread: waste of stadiums in abu dhabi and sharjah

Banned

waste of stadiums in abu dhabi and sharjah

seriously they have two of the biggest and one on abu dhabi the most modern stadium in the world, yet no international tours are happening there lol what a waste of money, UAE sure wastes lots of money on building things

International Debutant SpaceMonkey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dass View Post
    seriously they have two of the biggest and one on abu dhabi the most modern stadium in the world, yet no international tours are happening there lol what a waste of money, UAE sure wastes lots of money on building things
    Why not? once the Oil runs out they wont have much to spend on anything so why not make the most of it while its there

Abu Dhabi has 250 years of oil left plus the world's fifth largest reserves of natural gas - the cost of a stadium was literally less than an hour's revenue and was a "gift" from the ruler to workers from the sub-continent that make up 25% of the population (they asked for a pitch, he gave them a 25000 seater)

Seriously, they hold tournaments there every year (India, Pakistan, etc, A teams) and most are telecast.

Headquarters of ICC is now in Dubai where they are also building state of the art facilities

Do not be surprised if, say, Champions Trophy finds a permanent home in UAE

Oil money talks

Pinball Champion!
    Reminds me of the freeway that goes up a mountain in the UAE, but theres nothing at the top, just a car park and a sweet shop
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    Reminds me of the freeway that goes up a mountain in the UAE, but theres nothing at the top, just a car park and a sweet shop
    There are quite a few of those actually.
    Forever 63* at the SCG

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    There are quite a few of those actually.
    What? u serious? surely they can find better things to do with that money....give more to charity rather than spending it on stuff like that! Agree?

Banned
    sharjah use to be good back in the 80's but now its just a dead stadium, i pass by it almost everyday from work, its looks like a ghost stadium.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Abu Dhabi has 250 years of oil left plus the world's fifth largest reserves of natural gas - the cost of a stadium was literally less than an hour's revenue and was a "gift" from the ruler to workers from the sub-continent that make up 25% of the population (they asked for a pitch, he gave them a 25000 seater)

Seriously, they hold tournaments there every year (India, Pakistan, etc, A teams) and most are telecast.

Headquarters of ICC is now in Dubai where they are also building state of the art facilities

Do not be surprised if, say, Champions Trophy finds a permanent home in UAE

Oil money talks
    true, but really did Abu dhabi need a 25000 seater stadium, i mean even when rivals india and pakistan are playing, more then half the stadium is empty. Abu Dhabi's population is only around 500,000 and even Dubai has just crossed a 1 million mark recently

U19 Vice-Captain
    They can have tournaments like 20 over cup and maybe Junior Wc staged over there, those stadiums can still be utilized in some way.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    I would think it is a perfect place to stage some adhoc Twenty20 tournaments??

Also, I like the idea of an A team tri series or quadrangular there every year.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    From what I've seen of Qatar on TV I'm amazed there are any hills in the that partof the world.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Thread Information