• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

waste of stadiums in abu dhabi and sharjah

dass

Banned
seriously they have two of the biggest and one on abu dhabi the most modern stadium in the world, yet no international tours are happening there :laugh: lol what a waste of money, UAE sure wastes lots of money on building things :laugh:

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
seriously they have two of the biggest and one on abu dhabi the most modern stadium in the world, yet no international tours are happening there :laugh: lol what a waste of money, UAE sure wastes lots of money on building things :laugh:
Why not? once the Oil runs out they wont have much to spend on anything so why not make the most of it while its there :)

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Abu Dhabi has 250 years of oil left plus the world's fifth largest reserves of natural gas - the cost of a stadium was literally less than an hour's revenue and was a "gift" from the ruler to workers from the sub-continent that make up 25% of the population (they asked for a pitch, he gave them a 25000 seater)

Seriously, they hold tournaments there every year (India, Pakistan, etc, A teams) and most are telecast.

Headquarters of ICC is now in Dubai where they are also building state of the art facilities

Do not be surprised if, say, Champions Trophy finds a permanent home in UAE

Oil money talks

Langeveldt

Soutie
Reminds me of the freeway that goes up a mountain in the UAE, but theres nothing at the top, just a car park and a sweet shop :laugh:

dass

Banned
sharjah use to be good back in the 80's but now its just a dead stadium, i pass by it almost everyday from work, its looks like a ghost stadium.

dass

Banned
Abu Dhabi has 250 years of oil left plus the world's fifth largest reserves of natural gas - the cost of a stadium was literally less than an hour's revenue and was a "gift" from the ruler to workers from the sub-continent that make up 25% of the population (they asked for a pitch, he gave them a 25000 seater)

Seriously, they hold tournaments there every year (India, Pakistan, etc, A teams) and most are telecast.

Headquarters of ICC is now in Dubai where they are also building state of the art facilities

Do not be surprised if, say, Champions Trophy finds a permanent home in UAE

Oil money talks
true, but really did Abu dhabi need a 25000 seater stadium, i mean even when rivals india and pakistan are playing, more then half the stadium is empty. Abu Dhabi's population is only around 500,000 and even Dubai has just crossed a 1 million mark recently

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
They can have tournaments like 20 over cup and maybe Junior Wc staged over there, those stadiums can still be utilized in some way.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I would think it is a perfect place to stage some adhoc Twenty20 tournaments??

Also, I like the idea of an A team tri series or quadrangular there every year.

Craig

World Traveller
Reminds me of the freeway that goes up a mountain in the UAE, but theres nothing at the top, just a car park and a sweet shop :laugh:
From what I've seen of Qatar on TV I'm amazed there are any hills in the that partof the world.