• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I'm dissapointed with the English.

southafrica

Cricket Spectator
I'm proudly South African, and living in England at the moment, which has given me the oppertunity to consider the "English Perspective"

The newspapers for a start, feature the cricket well in to the sports section, with other international matches not involving England getting little or no mention at all.

Secondly, it seems to me that English fans and players have an excuse for everything (especially their recent 5-0 whitewash), it was easy to blame Giles and Harmison, and yet none of the blame was afforded to Flintoff and (especially) Andrew Strauss.
However, when they finally win a few (re: the CB Series), no allowances are made for the Australians as they parade around thinking that they are now the Best Team in the World...

I hope the English (and on a lesser degree the other teams) realise that Australia are no longer the be all and end all of international cricket- yes, an amazing team to beat, but you still have to beat other top teams consistantly like South Africa, India and Sri Lanka..

Your thoughts? (I bet the English fans here will find some ****y excuse and resort to personal attacks to discredit this forum)...:happy:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
The newspapers for a start, feature the cricket well in to the sports section, with other international matches not involving England getting little or no mention at all.
Haha. If you think the cricket coverage is poor, try being a rugby league fan.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Just ignore the English tabloids, they are completely full of **** tbh, they don't represent the real view of English people tbh. Read The Independent for a more balanced view.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Tbf we did beat South Africa the winter before we beat the Aussies.

Most (sensible) people realise that the Aussies were simply a better team. However, I do think that if we hadn't have had all those injuries it would have been closer.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just ignore the English tabloids, they are completely full of **** tbh, they don't represent the real view of English people tbh. Read The Independent for a more balanced view.
Quite agree - happens all the time.

The first job of a newspaperman is to get a story - whether there's one there or not. The one that sticks in my mind followed the Bradford City fire many years ago - this reporter in The Star made up some nonsense about how he saw some fans throwing a flare that started the fire (it was later proved to be a carelessly discarded cigarette).

It made a great story - and the fact that it was untrue was irrelevant.

Swervy

International Captain
was just going to say exactly the same.

I would be surprised if the Star has even mentioned cricket for the last 10 years. The Sun tends to have a double page on cricket, but for me the Indy is the best for cricket coverage

open365

International Vice-Captain
Quite agree - happens all the time.

The first job of a newspaperman is to get a story - whether there's one there or not. The one that sticks in my mind followed the Bradford City fire many years ago - this reporter in The Star made up some nonsense about how he saw some fans throwing a flare that started the fire (it was later proved to be a carelessly discarded cigarette).

It made a great story - and the fact that it was untrue was irrelevant.
Didn't you leave?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes. He's evidently back, though.

I wonder why, now?

I for one am glad if he's back for good, though, TBH.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's different anywhere else?

I don't know, having never read tabloid media from other countries?
Secondly, it seems to me that English fans and players have an excuse for everything (especially their recent 5-0 whitewash), it was easy to blame Giles and Harmison, and yet none of the blame was afforded to Flintoff and (especially) Andrew Strauss.
WTF? You ARE joking aren't you? Flintoff was blamed heaps by countless hundreds of people - and some unfairly, too. The simple fact of the matter is, most people deserved some blame, they simply weren't anywhere near as good as the Australians, whatever anyone may have thought beforehand.
However, when they finally win a few (re: the CB Series), no allowances are made for the Australians as they parade around thinking that they are now the Best Team in the World...
Eh? Precisely no-one claimed we were anything remotely close to being the best ODI team in The World after winning 2 ODIs. There has been *a certain member* on here who's placed too much importance on those games and a few others against the same opposition, but most of us have some perspective.
I hope the English (and on a lesser degree the other teams) realise that Australia are no longer the be all and end all of international cricket- yes, an amazing team to beat, but you still have to beat other top teams consistantly like South Africa, India and Sri Lanka..
That mentality is hogwash, purveyed only by some of the more blinkered journalists to cover their own mistakes. There are one hell of a lot of players in the current set-up who, especially in 2004 and 2005, were built-up by journos to be better than they were. As far as I'm concerned this "they don't care for anything but The Ashes" nonsense is just a way of trying to skirt the fact that they misjudged the talent of the players in question and those players were shown-up as being not as good as the journos had thought in 2006. It's far easier to believe they don't care than that you were wrong to think they were good enough.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
I agree that the cricket coverage is not particularly good in the papers, and as you say, if it isnt England it barely gets a mention. The Times newspaper, imo, covers cricket in the greatest detail, and offers decent match reports for the domestic season.

Not sure English fans have an excuse for everything, a certain amount of blame was given to Giles and Harmison, not excuses, these are reasons why we were not as competitive as we should have been. And only part of the reason why we were so poor. There are a number of reasons, not excuses.

I think as far as the one-day side goes, I think all the fans realise we are some way off the best team in the world!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I agree that the cricket coverage is not particularly good in the papers, and as you say, if it isnt England it barely gets a mention. The Times newspaper, imo, covers cricket in the greatest detail, and offers decent match reports for the domestic season.
The Times and The Independent are the top two IMO, certainly.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes, don't mind The Independent, the others you may aswell not bother with at all. A weekly cricket newspaper would be ideal!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes. He's evidently back, though.

I wonder why, now?

I for one am glad if he's back for good, though, TBH.
It's difficult to stay away - especially when you keep make outrageous predictions about Ireland.

Seriously, James asked me to write a bit now and again. It seems that he's a little disappointed with one of the new staff members

(runs)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's difficult to stay away - especially when you keep make outrageous predictions about Ireland.
Yeah, they were crazy, weren't they? :laugh: Who was daft enough to predict Ireland would beat Pakistan?

I tell you what, though, something even more outrageous happened - those crazy predictions came true! :eek:
Seriously, James asked me to write a bit now and again. It seems that he's a little disappointed with one of the new staff members
Funny, he was just telling me the other day how pleased he's been with the recent additions. :huh:

I mean, you'll never guess who the most recent of those was...

(How's your irony radar?)

Yeah, yeah, I know

Matt79

Global Moderator
Notice no English members have proffered any smart alec excuses or resorted to abuse yet... Could southafrica be wrong? :unsure:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Still the thread's been worthwhile for our first dose of LE in too long a time. Welcome back champ, hope you stick around... :beer:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I

Your thoughts? (I bet the English fans here will find some ****y excuse and resort to personal attacks to discredit this forum)...:happy:
Why, because that's what us English always do? We may overhype our side at times, but there's very few English posters who resort to personal attacks at this forum. AFAICR.