Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm dissapointed with the English.

I'm dissapointed with the English.

I'm proudly South African, and living in England at the moment, which has given me the oppertunity to consider the "English Perspective"

The newspapers for a start, feature the cricket well in to the sports section, with other international matches not involving England getting little or no mention at all.

Secondly, it seems to me that English fans and players have an excuse for everything (especially their recent 5-0 whitewash), it was easy to blame Giles and Harmison, and yet none of the blame was afforded to Flintoff and (especially) Andrew Strauss.
    However, when they finally win a few (re: the CB Series), no allowances are made for the Australians as they parade around thinking that they are now the Best Team in the World...

I hope the English (and on a lesser degree the other teams) realise that Australia are no longer the be all and end all of international cricket- yes, an amazing team to beat, but you still have to beat other top teams consistantly like South Africa, India and Sri Lanka..

Your thoughts? (I bet the English fans here will find some cocky excuse and resort to personal attacks to discredit this forum)...
    One of 32 000 people to see "that" 438 match live in Johannesburg, 12th March 2006.

www.spaces.live.com/voltageinternational

msn: voltageinternational@hotmail.com

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by southafrica View Post
    The newspapers for a start, feature the cricket well in to the sports section, with other international matches not involving England getting little or no mention at all.
    Haha. If you think the cricket coverage is poor, try being a rugby league fan.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Just ignore the English tabloids, they are completely full of **** tbh, they don't represent the real view of English people tbh. Read The Independent for a more balanced view.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

International Coach
    Tbf we did beat South Africa the winter before we beat the Aussies.

Most (sensible) people realise that the Aussies were simply a better team. However, I do think that if we hadn't have had all those injuries it would have been closer.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Just ignore the English tabloids, they are completely full of **** tbh, they don't represent the real view of English people tbh. Read The Independent for a more balanced view.
    Quite agree - happens all the time.

The first job of a newspaperman is to get a story - whether there's one there or not. The one that sticks in my mind followed the Bradford City fire many years ago - this reporter in The Star made up some nonsense about how he saw some fans throwing a flare that started the fire (it was later proved to be a carelessly discarded cigarette).

It made a great story - and the fact that it was untrue was irrelevant.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    was just going to say exactly the same.

I would be surprised if the Star has even mentioned cricket for the last 10 years. The Sun tends to have a double page on cricket, but for me the Indy is the best for cricket coverage
    rave down, hit the ground

MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyeddie View Post
    Quite agree - happens all the time.

The first job of a newspaperman is to get a story - whether there's one there or not. The one that sticks in my mind followed the Bradford City fire many years ago - this reporter in The Star made up some nonsense about how he saw some fans throwing a flare that started the fire (it was later proved to be a carelessly discarded cigarette).

It made a great story - and the fact that it was untrue was irrelevant.
    Didn't you leave?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Yes. He's evidently back, though.

I wonder why, now?

I for one am glad if he's back for good, though, TBH.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by southafrica View Post
    It's different anywhere else?

I don't know, having never read tabloid media from other countries?
    Secondly, it seems to me that English fans and players have an excuse for everything (especially their recent 5-0 whitewash), it was easy to blame Giles and Harmison, and yet none of the blame was afforded to Flintoff and (especially) Andrew Strauss.
    WTF? You ARE joking aren't you? Flintoff was blamed heaps by countless hundreds of people - and some unfairly, too. The simple fact of the matter is, most people deserved some blame, they simply weren't anywhere near as good as the Australians, whatever anyone may have thought beforehand.
    However, when they finally win a few (re: the CB Series), no allowances are made for the Australians as they parade around thinking that they are now the Best Team in the World...
    Eh? Precisely no-one claimed we were anything remotely close to being the best ODI team in The World after winning 2 ODIs. There has been *a certain member* on here who's placed too much importance on those games and a few others against the same opposition, but most of us have some perspective.
    I hope the English (and on a lesser degree the other teams) realise that Australia are no longer the be all and end all of international cricket- yes, an amazing team to beat, but you still have to beat other top teams consistantly like South Africa, India and Sri Lanka..
    That mentality is hogwash, purveyed only by some of the more blinkered journalists to cover their own mistakes. There are one hell of a lot of players in the current set-up who, especially in 2004 and 2005, were built-up by journos to be better than they were. As far as I'm concerned this "they don't care for anything but The Ashes" nonsense is just a way of trying to skirt the fact that they misjudged the talent of the players in question and those players were shown-up as being not as good as the journos had thought in 2006. It's far easier to believe they don't care than that you were wrong to think they were good enough.
    Last edited by Richard; 19-03-2007 at 04:36 PM.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    I agree that the cricket coverage is not particularly good in the papers, and as you say, if it isnt England it barely gets a mention. The Times newspaper, imo, covers cricket in the greatest detail, and offers decent match reports for the domestic season.

Not sure English fans have an excuse for everything, a certain amount of blame was given to Giles and Harmison, not excuses, these are reasons why we were not as competitive as we should have been. And only part of the reason why we were so poor. There are a number of reasons, not excuses.

I think as far as the one-day side goes, I think all the fans realise we are some way off the best team in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    I agree that the cricket coverage is not particularly good in the papers, and as you say, if it isnt England it barely gets a mention. The Times newspaper, imo, covers cricket in the greatest detail, and offers decent match reports for the domestic season.
    The Times and The Independent are the top two IMO, certainly.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Yes, don't mind The Independent, the others you may aswell not bother with at all. A weekly cricket newspaper would be ideal!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Yes. He's evidently back, though.

I wonder why, now?

I for one am glad if he's back for good, though, TBH.
    It's difficult to stay away - especially when you keep make outrageous predictions about Ireland.

Seriously, James asked me to write a bit now and again. It seems that he's a little disappointed with one of the new staff members

(runs)

Quote Originally Posted by open365 View Post
    Didn't you leave?
    I came back to spy on you.

It seems that some Scouser's been nicking all the CW hubcaps.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyeddie View Post
    It's difficult to stay away - especially when you keep make outrageous predictions about Ireland.
    Yeah, they were crazy, weren't they? Who was daft enough to predict Ireland would beat Pakistan?

I tell you what, though, something even more outrageous happened - those crazy predictions came true!
    Seriously, James asked me to write a bit now and again. It seems that he's a little disappointed with one of the new staff members
    Funny, he was just telling me the other day how pleased he's been with the recent additions.

I mean, you'll never guess who the most recent of those was...

(How's your irony radar?)

Yeah, yeah, I know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information