• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African Girl notches up a remarkable score

V Reddy

International Debutant
A total of 258 runs not out in a 40-over cricket match is a remarkable performance in anyone's books. But when it is achieved by a 12-year-old schoolgirl from Pretoria, it is even more extraordinary.
Opening batswoman Mignon du Preez hit 16 sixes and 25 fours with a run rate of over two runs per ball in her innings during a provincial under-13 match between Gauteng and Gauteng North in Sandton, north of Johannesburg, on Saturday.

Experts believe this could be a world record in women's cricket, The Star newspaper reported on Monday.

Her father, Jacques, who is a Gauteng North junior cricket coach, said his daughter fell in love with the game when she was four-years-old.

Three years ago, the country's provinces instituted girls' teams and now Mignon has been chosen to represent South Africa at the girls' world under-19 championships in New Zealand in March.

Her participation, however, depends on her finding 20,000 rand ($2,000) to cover her expenses. "If she had been a boy she would have had full sponsorship by now," her father said.

This is article in Espnstar website and i saw a couple of articles about her here in newspapers. I still can't beleive that she made that many:O:O

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Its amazing :lol: and what do they mean 'experts' say that this could be the best performance in womens cricket ? hell this must be the best in men's (U13) as well !

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I didn't even know there is a world under-19 championships in New Zealand in March.

GIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING

Kimbo

International Debutant
i dont think that there is a u19 world champs here in march. Tamara and I would have surely heard something.

oh and you cannot imagine just how poor the bowling would have been for this young batswoman...
i coach an u13 side... yea...
she certainly must be very talented but i cant guarantee the ball always got to her one bounce...

WeptWindies

Cricket Spectator
Originally posted by Sunil Havascar
i dont think that there is a u19 world champs here in march. Tamara and I would have surely heard something.

oh and you cannot imagine just how poor the bowling would have been for this young batswoman...
i coach an u13 side... yea...
she certainly must be very talented but i cant guarantee the ball always got to her one bounce...
I've heard that the bowler was non other than the cricketweb icon, Ajit Agarkar:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Kimbo

International Debutant
oh wait... provincial level. it probably was getting there one bounce. just.
under 14 provincial tournaments here are a very poor standard, i remember playing them... not so long ago...
not denying that is an amazing feat though... but it might be a bit hast putting her into u19s... thats a huge step up in the quality of bowling...

i hope she doesnt raise the money only to find there is no tournament here

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Hmm.. District Level round here's not too hot. I spent a couple of overs in a net this summer hitting one district U13 bowler repeatedly back over his head with a cracked bat. And I can't bat.

To be fair, he did then go and take 4-11...

The first thing I thought when I read that was "How short were the boundaries?!" I mean, 16 sixes?!

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I think the boundrys would have to be very short. Alot of girls strength doesn't develop until they get older and to be able to hit 16 sixes in a match when u are 12. Well that says it all.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Tamara
I think the boundrys would have to be very short. Alot of girls strength doesn't develop until they get older and to be able to hit 16 sixes in a match when u are 12. Well that says it all.
Ok, I'm a bloke so it doesn't mean much in this convo really but when I was 12-13 I used to use a plastic bat and could wallop any ball for 6 indoors. In my 7 years of Indoor Cricket I've slowly lost that ability till about 3 years ago I used this huge wooden Slazanger and I had a great season and got into County. Then I bought a new bat and had a crap season and this year I've got fit and thrown the rule book out of the window and started using the old bat and I'm hitting every ball for 6 or 4 again :D But it's strange I used to find it easier when I was younger and now only after I've cleared my mind and got fit, have I started batting with any freedom...

Oh well...the freedom of the youthful mind...before your told "Head down, high elbow, straight bat, keep it down at all costs" Luckly I chose just not to listen ;)

[Edited on 26/11/2002 by Rik]

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
in my local comp in canberra last year, a girl called kris britt scored a triple century in a one day match. That was playing womens 1st grade on the same grounds the men play on. She plays for SA in the national womens league now.

Kimbo

International Debutant
how old was she?
i would like to make the point that there is a huge difference in ability between 13 yr old girls and boys. like tamara says, strength doesnt develop until later on...

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
sorry sunil, im not sure of her age, but she is around 20 i suppose.
But i can see the point you are making about the SAF girl being 13.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Thats pritty dam remarkable I mean Isaw Adam Gilchrist score 258 in 45 over match for his grade club and thought that was amazing.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
thats amazing! any feat like that done by any cricketer is brilliant (no matter what *** or age).

girls can do the same thigns boys can do, and better :)
also, my mother was in a Otago team in the 50's for her high school and they beat the best team in the country at the time.
:D

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Sunil Havascar
how old was she?
i would like to make the point that there is a huge difference in ability between 13 yr old girls and boys. like tamara says, strength doesnt develop until later on...
I was not that strong then, I had to use a plastic bat because I couldn't hold the bat I now use...a Slaz V100