• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Woolmer's final interview... (thanks to news24)

southafrica

Cricket Spectator
Woolmer was last seen in public when he addressed the post-match media conference after his team's defeat to Ireland at Sabina Park.

One of the worst days of his life

He indicated his side's performance ranked pretty highly as one of the worst days of his life as a coach.

"I think the worst was at Edgbaston in 1999 (when he was South Africa's coach in a losing semi-final to Australia), but I think it is important that I remember however, that this is a game, and in a game, things like this happen," he said.

"As for my future as a coach, this is what I do best, and I am not going to, therefore, throw away coaching.

"Doing it internationally, it takes a toll on you - the endless travelling and the non-stop living out of hotels."

Woolmer had no excuses to make about his side's performance in the competition.

"I think we have a good team in this World Cup, but we have not played as well as we should have, or could have.

"Quite frankly, a lot of credit must be given to Ireland, and a lot of credit should be given to the ICC's High Performance Programme, and we deserve to take stick because we have not performed.

"This is a game of cricket, and everyone should try to remember this. We are sorry that we have performed in the way that we have. We didn't mean to do it, but all credit to Ireland and good luck to them."

In his playing career, Woolmer appeared for Kent in the English county championship and played 19 Tests for England.

He has also coached the South African national team.

Pakistan face Zimbabwe on Wednesday in their final World Cup group match.

News24/SAPA