• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bob Woolmer dies at 58

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I'm not having a dig at anyone, or trying to start a conflict, which is the last thing I want to do. However, I think that speculating is disrespectful to Bob's memory, and we should all just wait until the coriners verdict comes out.

chris.hinton

International Captain
I'm not having a dig at anyone, or trying to start a conflict, which is the last thing I want to do. However, I think that speculating is disrespectful to Bob's memory, and we should all just wait until the coriners verdict comes out.
You are right lets remember the good things that Woolmer did for Cricket

Bouncer

State Regular
Just heard Junaid Jamshed on Geo. He is recalling his discussion with Bob after the series win against England in Faisalabad in 2005. He asked him how did he feel beating english team being an English man. Junaid said his reply shocked him

" Wait a minute man! I am a Pakistani, I live in Pakistan as a Pakistani and I will die as a Pakistani "

GDR

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I don't see how Pakistani fans can possibly blame him. He did a fantastic job as coach. If the players fail to perform, that is not his fault.

R.I.P Bob. He'll join all the other great cricketing greats in Heaven.

:( :no: :cry: :crybaby:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Reading cricinfo today Pakistan fans chanting " Death to Woolmer" i wonder just how they are feeling right now
Probably absolutely nothing.. I just hope another quality coach isn't wasted on that team.. Mind you, I actually feel sorry for Pakistan's cricketers, as its something they have to put up with on a day to day basis..

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
You're totally right, but human nature makes it impossible not to speculate at this time.. Some serious things could have taken place in recent times, with effects that will reverberate for years.. Hard to ignore, but yes, you are totally right..

adharcric

International Coach
chris.hinton said:
Pakistan is a terrible job to have and sadly this killed him. Pakistan cricket board should take a long look at themselves.
Seriously, stop it. This is not the time.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Probably absolutely nothing.. I just hope another quality coach isn't wasted on that team..
How convieniently you are putting the blame of Bob's death on the team he was coaching, I am sure you are old enough to know that a 56 yr old man who was bit on the heavyside can be susceptible to a sudden heart attack

R.I.P BW.

Langeveldt

Soutie
How convieniently you are putting the blame of Bob's death on the team he was coaching, I am sure you are old enough to know that a 56 yr old man who was bit on the heavyside can be susceptible to a sudden heart attack

R.I.P BW.
Not the right time to be arguing over this, but surely the awful timing of this has to be too much of a coincidence, no? I'll leave it at that, we'll probably never know anyway..

Guys, thousands of them were calling for his head.. I'm not blaming the XI, but the do-or die culture of cricket in Pakistan isn't a very healthy one for a 56 year old man on the heavy side to be involved with

godofcricket

State 12th Man
How do you feel?If thats not not a rude question to ask.
well i met woolmer once in lahore airport.....he was such a amazing person.........i seriously cannot believe he has died......what he achieved in his cricketing career is something different but as a person he seemed amazing .......will remember him for a long long time......

as for those fans....you should know that aswell that cricket in india/pakistan is much more than a sport.....they were also chanting "death to Inzamam, death to the pakistani management, death to blah blah".....they are just another extreme and all u have to do is ignore them!!!!!

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member

R.I.P BW.
56 and a bit heavy doesnt make you susceptable to a heart attack. If it did then the US would have half its current population.

He had a pre-existing condition. 56 isnt old at all for this to happen without a history.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Probably absolutely nothing.. I just hope another quality coach isn't wasted on that team.. Mind you, I actually feel sorry for Pakistan's cricketers, as its something they have to put up with on a day to day basis..
Stop being an ass. It's really shameful that you would take a tragic death as an opportunity to take another shot at Pakistan. :@ Woolmer loved coaching Pakistan and loved Pakistan cricket. He was fully aware of the volatile nature of Pakistan cricket and the emotional fans the team attracted. Listening to the stories that people are recounting of Woolmer on GEO news, it is very obvious he loved his experience as a Pakistani coach. Seriously, how hard is it to mourn the loss of a life that contributed so much to the game we love, without taking potshots at Pakistan?

Langeveldt

Soutie
well i met woolmer once in lahore airport.....he was such a amazing person.........i seriously cannot believe he has died......what he achieved in his cricketing career is something different but as a person he seemed amazing .......will remember him for a long long time......

as for those fans....you should know that aswell that cricket in india/pakistan is much more than a sport.....they were also chanting "death to Inzamam, death to the pakistani management, death to blah blah".....they are just another extreme and all u have to do is ignore them!!!!!
Good post, yeah true, to an extent, but you have to realize that guys come in from all over the world, and Pakistan not only represents a huge personal challenge to manage, but is also a massive culture shock.. People deal with this in different ways, and maybe it got to Bob.. I don't know how I'd react if I heard people in the street actually calling for my death..

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If this thread continues down the path it appears to be, I will close it. Please don't make me close a thread that should feature tributes to Bob Woolmer's life, rather than speculation around his death.