• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Richards and Marshall or Ponting and McGrath?

Fiery

Banned
None of you rude bastards even bothered to welcome Cartman to the forum. Welcome Cartman. Good first post...look forward to more input

Matt79

Global Moderator
That's true Fiery - I thought about it but the site was running so slow, I made one post and then left it at that.

Welcome Cartman. :beer:

C_C

International Captain
How'd you know? You've watched so much Australian domestic cricket?

The WACA bears no resemblence to any other pitch in The World. For most of the 1970s, 80s and 90s near enough any bowler who bowled with any height at all could get the ball tou bounce steeply from all but the fullest length. To suggest a Western Australian would be likely to have trouble with the bouncing ball is ridiculous.
The Sabina Park pitch of the 70s and 80s, if anything was more terrifying than WACA during the same era. Bridgetown is a bouncier track than WACA too or was.
To suggest that a western australian or for that matter, anyone, Bradman included, would be doing fine facing throat-high balls shooting off from goodlength smacks of someone who's never watched the WI four prong have a go at the batsmen on bouncy pitches.
I say again - you can pack the side with 6 bradman if you wish- but if the bowling is of any combination of : Marshall, Ambrose, Garner, Walsh, Roberts, Holding and Croft, the six-bradmen would lose. Infact, Martyn was quite uncomfortable against Walsh and Ambrose bowling perfume balls to him and at perth, it'd be murder for the windies.
WI were as close to being unbeatable as it is with their bowling firepower on tracks that have good hard bounce to them.

Last edited:

C_C

International Captain
Yes. They've both played on them pretty much since they picked-up a bat.
I will highlight my portion of the quote again:

Have you ever seen Martyn, Langer, etc. vs Ambrose on Perth-type wickets ?
Believe me, Martyn, Langer, Hayden, etc. were all at sea vs Ambrose on WACA.
If its vs Ambrose, Marshall, Holding, Garner, etc. on a WACA pitch, i expect them to be dismissed in single digits nine times out of 10.

adharcric

International Coach
WI easily on most pitches and barely on turners for me. Warne's not enough to offset that pace attack. Marshall just ahead of McGrath and Richards ahead of Ponting.

C_C

International Captain
WI easily on most pitches and barely on turners for me. Warne's not enough to offset that pace attack. Marshall just ahead of McGrath and Richards ahead of Ponting.
Yup. Most people forget that this WI bunch were, alongside the Pakistani greats, the best pace bowlers on dead wickets hands down. The amount Warne gains by getting a spinning track is more than offset by decline in the rest of Aussie pace attack on a similar surface( McGrath excepted) while the WI pace quarter barely feels the bump. The batting is a slight advantage to the West Indies, predominantly because Hayden-Martyn and Langer would be toast facing the WI pacers. Especially Mr front foot bully Hayden. But Gilly makes it up for a bit. However, when it comes to the bowling stakes, the WI are streets ahead of any bowling attack that has taken the field together as an unit. Miles and miles ahead. And thats where the decisive advantage would lie. And if its a no-holds barred matchup like the WI were used to, the Aussies would lose handily.

Last edited: