• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Manjural Islam dies in road accident

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't see this posted.

Far too young, the youngest test cricketer to die, just 22 years.

Bangladesh's Manjural Islam killed in road accident

Cricinfo staff

Manjural Islam, who played six Tests and 25 Odis for Bangladesh between 2003-04 and 2005-06, has been killed in a road accident. He was 22 and, as such, he has become the youngest Test cricketer to die.

Reports say that he was on a motorbike in Khulna when he lost his balance and collided with an oncoming bus. It is believed that Sazzadul Shetu, a local cricketer, was also killed.

A left-arm spinner, Manjural made his ODI debut in November 2003 at the age of 19 and took the wicket of Michael Vaughan with his third ball, the first time any Bangladesh player had taken a wicket in his first international over. He made his Test debut at Harare in 2003-04 but did not impress and had been sidelined since the series against India in December 2004. His best performances in the one-day format were a brace of four-wicket hauls, both Man-of-the-Match winning performances, to help level the series against Zimbabwe in January 2005.
RIP. Terribly sad news.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Shocker. RIP. Hope the Bangers guys can pull off a few surprises in the WC in his honour.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Went on CricInfo to check the scores and as I clicked on the Eng-NZ link, I glimpsed the headline out of the corner of my eye. Immediately went back to see what it was all about. Was hoping that I had made an incorrect assumption when I saw the word "killed".

Truly sad. Reminds me of that terrible feeling in my stomach when Ben Hollioake died. :(

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
God, I've never felt as awful as that, but it's still terrible. I knew nothing about Manjural, but Ben Hollioake was such a lovely guy.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
God, I've never felt as awful as that, but it's still terrible. I knew nothing about Manjural, but Ben Hollioake was such a lovely guy.
I've got an autographed picture of Ben Hollioake. Wasn't a great cricketer, but he was certainly a great guy.

Manjural Islam, like Hollioake, was such a promising cricketer with bat and ball.

stumpski

International Captain
He was usually known as Manjural Islam Rana, to distinguish him from the Manjural Islam who played 17 Tests for Bangladesh as an opening bowler between 2001 and 2004.