• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your Special Abilities

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Here's a thread to puff out your chest and tell us what your special cricketing abilities are. I want to know what you do that is unique compared to your team-mates or peers.

Here are mine:

Leg-spin: I can spin the ball a mile. I'm not very accurate but if I get it somewhere near the right spot (or the pitch, even! :D) it will rip past your bat.

Fast bowling: I have a thing for inswinging yorkers. My nickname when playing more seriously was 'Waqar'. I used to break toes regularly. In one season I broke the toes of 10 people. In fact, one of those was the main A-grade fast bowler who was just about to be picked to play for South Australia. I broke his toe and put him out of the game for the res of the season. The upside was, guess who made their A-grade debut in the next game? 8D

I also have this ball I can bowl which is an out-swinger. It pitches around a foot outside leg-stump and comes back into the batsmen at pace. I used to regularly clean bowl batsmen who let the ball go thinking it was going well wide of leg-stump, only to watch in horror as it viciously swings back and knocks their middle-stump out of the ground.

Batting: I have a knack for hitting sixes. I usually get a lot of runs real quick or no runs real quick. Frequently bowled middle-peg but I've usually hit the bowler around a bit before then.

Fielding: I can hit the stumps from anywhere. ;)

So come on, let's hear the rest from you guys!

EDIT: Had to brag about something else. :D

[Edited on 26/11/2002 by Top_Cat]

masterblaster

International Captain
Fast Bowling: Consistent Line and Length, can bowl 4 out of 6 deliveries where I want to on the wicket, adapted from Glenn McGrath, but obviously no where near as good as him.

Off Spin Bowling: I Pitch outside off stump to the right hander and I can create vicious turn and jag back with the ball.

Leg Spin Bowling: Am Horrible, can bowl the occasional wrong-un!

Batting: I try to go for everything really, always aggressive, love playing the cover drive and am quite good at it too, love playing the pull shot and ofcourse the charge down the track and hit over the bowlers head, straight down the ground for either four or six (ala. sachin tendulkar).

Fielding: Good sharp reflexes and sharp slips fieldsman

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Leg Spin - Turn the ball heaps. not very consistant though

Off Spin - Good line and length bowler. Can't turn the ball alot.

Fast Bowling - Have not done any for a year or two but used to open the bowling. Line and Length Bowler (outswing)

Batting - Perfect opening batter. Use the pace of the new ball. Punish the bad ball but can be very defensive. Hard to get out.

Fielding - Gully, Silly mid on/off(took four catches under the helmet last year in one game). Good catcher but have to work on throwing.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
Batting: bat anywhere in the order but 5 or 6 is best. Play the pull shot very well, preferably from outside off stump. Off side play can be ordinary especially square of the wicket. Hopeless against good leg spin bowling.

Fielding: part time wicket keeper and generally poor fielder. My catching has deteriorated over the years.

Bowling: generally medium pace, can swing it both ways and can bowl a decent off cutter. When bowling spin I can move it either way using the same grip but it's more like cutting the ball than spinning. One look at my bowling would suggest that I'm crap but tend to get a lot of wickets but also go for a lot of runs.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Bowling:

Can bowl good LFM deleveries with a good outswinger but I tend to get sloged if the ball is not swiging.

Batting:

Based my Batting around Brad Haddin/Adam Gilchrist so natrualy I am pritty agressive but I rarley slog. My favorite shots are the lofted Cover drive/off drive/on drive but I also play the pull shot well.
I bat number 3 or as an oppener.

Feilding: Can feild anywere but its usualy In the outfeild because im very quick and have a good arm.
Ohh and I drop alot of catches :(

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Fast Bowling: my strength. Dont need to say much more than, this is what i'd get picked for in a team.

Spin bowling: used to bowl spin before i started fast bowling.
could turn it a bit but not as much as i should've.
Batting: LOL lets just say, i have my moments.
i bat best at 11, and once scored 23 off 10.
the coach moved me up to 3 for school rep and stayed there....got 5 runs in total :(!

fielding: mid wicket or long on.
i have a godo throwing arm, but not the best aim.

oh yeah, based myself on Cairns, McMillan and now Bond.

retired from cricket in 2000 due to chronic fatigue :(

hourn

U19 Cricketer
i'm exactly the same as NZTailender.

Opening bowler. in my second season of grade cricket (im only 18) and this will be my first full season. Played 3 games in 5th Grade last season and picked up 10 wickets (including 8 wickets in 1 match over 2 innings).

Had a good season in school cricket last year, picking up the most wickets for my team, and did well in the few matches of grade cricket.

So far this season though its been tought time :( picked up 2 wickets with my first 4 balls in the season but have only picked up 1 more in the 4 games since.

Things aren't all bad though - i'm bowling well (particularly last weekend - 0/33 of 10 in a 1 dayer) just not getting any wickets. patience is what i need. It's going to take a lot to try and emulate my uncle's efforst of getting 970-odd wickets for the club in all grades. I'm on 13 :O

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
Well I don't want to brag but well.... :rolleyes:

Batting:
I am considered a rarity in the fact that I am an Omani who has a very orthodox style ... I am a sketchy starter but all I need is a few shots off the middle and I'm off. Just made my debut at the official level of cricket in Oman but in a lower division. I am considered a brilliant player of spin and slow to medium pace bowling because I play aggressive but very correct shots off them. I struggle at the start of my innings against fast bowlers bowling outside off stump.

Bowling:
*Medium-Fast: I'm inside the top 5 U-17 Omani fast bowlers with good control and swing.
*Leg-Break: I turn the ball a long long way but don't have good control.
*Off spin: Mostly good control without much turn but can bowl turning deliveries without control...:D, bad offspinner.
I bowl only medium-fast when playing seriously in a match but do bowl some leggies sometimes in the nets.

Fielding:
One of the quickest fielders around, I am a good in-fielder but struggle with very high catches, don't have a vey strong arm but I make good stops in the field.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Well my Averages for the Current season :P
Current Total Record
Batting: Inns: 9(12)Runs:129 H/S:26 Ave:
N.O - 4
Bowling: O: 59 M:15 Runs: 185 Wickets:32 Ave:

This includes club & school games my years before was consistent too like this

I am a right arm off spinner been doing that constantly for about 6 years now :D and when i was 9 between 7 and 9 i was believe it or not a right arm fast bowler , fast but it wasnt everytime that id get it in the right place but the pace was there to trouble :P

Bowling

Off spinner - i can rip through heavy on grass pitches , ive got a good loop and i can trick the batsmen anytime with flight , years of practise

Top Spinner - :D im proud of this bowl , this bowl has proved my so good over the years :D you never know when it comes :P

Arm Ball - another tricky one easy to notice if ur in my team cause ive probably practised against u in the nets , the batsmen give a hint of smile after receiving this bowl as a " good job uve managed to completely trick me "

Wrong Un !! - the off spinner version of the leg spinner i hold it in my off spinner grip but guess what , the batsmen thinks that after receving 4 off spiners which he tries to hit on the off side the 5th on ends up being a wrong un and he tries to hit it on the off again but gets suprised when the bowl turns the other way :P :D

Quick Swinger - just held in an different concealed grip same runup as my usual ones to make it look the same but a lot more force goes when i bowl but without showing it that much , it inswings and is fast and accurate , dont use it much cause its a pain telling the keeper its the "fast" one

Batting

Highest all time score for O.D was 55* and for 2 day was 77

Im a right arm batsmen my coach is working heavy with me i keep moving up the order before i was a nightwatchmen but now he saw something in me and ive moved up to 4 at club and 5 at school , fastest runner between the wickets at club , good eye for ball :P and bowl any bad bowl near my off and i can hammer it thats my strongest side..

[Edited on 26/11/2002 by lord_of_darkness]

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Batting : My strength. I am supposed to be the technically most correct and stylish batsman.....(among my circle of friends :D, not the Club) anyway, I like a feeling of neatness and consoildation around my batting, no fidgeting around or false moves. I love to hit fast bowlers over cover for sixes :D (when i manage to there faces are an absolute scream!). Generally favour the offside and can cut ferociously. Also I love to drive the ball. Thats about it.

Bowling :
Generally bowl right arm medium fast, and the inswinger is my stock ball. Sometimes i surprise myself with huge inswingers. And i will confess, currently I am in love with my bowling action :D
But generally my bowling is a bit erratic and i manage to dissapoint myself more often then not.

Fielding : Cover is my favourite area where I can match wits with the batsman, generally pretty quick on the field and good hands (have taken some blinders). Throwing is good, but accuracy is bad.

Spin Bowling:

Never did it in a match, but I love leg spin bowling, and as quite a few talented people have admitted i too can spin the bowl a lot either way. Just out of curiosity (since this thread is concerned with special talents)

How did everyone learns to spin the bowl ?

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
From my dad who saw a show on Saqlain Mushtaq giving tips when he was playing for Surrey ! He couldnt try it and said i might use it well :D and it change my whole life...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Left Arm Fastish Medium swinger or Left Arm Spinner who usually takes wickets with his top-spinner or the turning ball on off-stump.

Dangerous Left-Hand Bat who can hit most balls for 6 (I've worked on my upper-arm strength) but who also time most shots well enough not to have to wack them too hard (Some of my defensive strokes go for 4), not a great defender but not really a slogger either.

Can hit the stumps from nearly anywhere on the field with either arm and can usually find the keeper's gloves without looking where I'm throwing when throwing on the turn. Am basically amibdextrous whilst fielding and can take basically every type of catch.

Oh well ;)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bowling:
Slow Medium: Can bowl ball after ball on a line and length (sort of like Klusener). I can bowl 10 or 11 overs of this.
Fast Medium: I have a very good yorker but it tend to bowl it too much. I can't control my bouncer and usually bowl it too short or it sprays down leg. I can only bowl 5 or six overs of this at a time.
Off Spin: I can bowl line and length for 5 off 6 balls in an over. I don't turn the ball much so after 2 or 3 overs, the batsmen catch on and starting belting me.

Batting: I'm very hard to get out but I take time to score runs. Sort of an Atherton but a bit faster. I don't hit many sixes but am good at making room and driving. I'm also very fast between the wickets though and have a good sweep shot.

Fielding: I'm always put to field at short leg. I'm fairly good at it, not spectacular. It's no picnic though!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Ohhhhh and I'm Shrewsbury Indoor CC Player of the season for the last 2 years...8D

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Special Abilities? Ohhhh now I understand...I have the power of flight and deception and my Super-Hero name is WONDERBOY!!! 8D:lol::lol::lol:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Batting: Can't. Once scored a 4. Highest score 6* off 25 batting to save a point. Shared in a partnership of 34* off 4 overs. I scored 4 of them.

Bowling: Leg Spinner for ten years, can turn them a lot but my accuracy's dire. And they're slow. No one can pick my wrong-un however ;)

Fielding: Wildly inconsistent. Really wildly inconsistent.

I can score though, and by next Sunday I should be a Qualified Coach.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by Neil Pickup
Batting: Can't. Once scored a 4. Highest score 6* off 25 batting to save a point. Shared in a partnership of 34* off 4 overs. I scored 4 of them.

Bowling: Leg Spinner for ten years, can turn them a lot but my accuracy's dire. And they're slow. No one can pick my wrong-un however ;)

Fielding: Wildly inconsistent. Really wildly inconsistent.

I can score though, and by next Sunday I should be a Qualified Coach.
Why bother being a coach, if Chris had his way you'd be on the Ashes tour by now!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Batting: basically a plodder, fairly decent defensive technique, strokes very limited, good cover drive both off the front and back foot, uppish cuts and pulls square of the wicket, pushes or lofted drives in the 'V'.

Bowling: slow medium pace - can bowl a good line and length, leg spin - can spin the ball a long way, but lacks control

Fielding: ground fielding - substandard, catching - pretty good, occasional wicket keeper.

Best armchair expert and analyst you will ever see. Very alert and agile in front of a TV and while handling the remote.;);););)

CricketGuru

School Boy/Girl Captain
Batting:I am suppose to be technically a good batsman, sometimes i am called the Rahul Dravid of my team(but it doesnt mean i am even close to being as good as him. Obviously :D). I usually bat at number 4 or 5, but sometimes i am send in as an opener where the opposition has a fast and good bowling attack, i usually like to perform well where everybody else fails, i love to face fast bowlers. I love to play cover drives as i feel i am gifted in that department.

Bowling: I am a normal right arm fast medium bowler who mostly bowls as a first change, i tend to have a very good line and length and that distracts the batsman a lot, but i wish i had more variety in my bowling.

Fielding: I like to field in the cover area mostly as i tend to have quick reactions but i am not a diving person otherwise i would have liked to field the point area.