• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The thread of international goodwill and fellowship

Matt79

Global Moderator
As an anecdote to 30+ page long threads where we kick each others' countries down, I thought it would be nice to have a thread where we state what we like or admire about cricketing nations other than our own. The rule for the thread is that there's only positive comments - you can comment on one country, or as many as you like.

I'll start with a few:
India - I love the total passion the whole country seems to share for the game, the way in which Indian fans love and bleed with their team, and I admire the players in their team for by and large retaining very level heads in the face of at times insane levels of attention and worship.

England - I admire the class with which both the English team and the English fans deal with the ups and downs of their fortunes in the sport. I don't want to make what sounds like a back handed compliment, but if all fans dealt with disappointment in as mature and good-humoured fashion as the English, this game would be even closer to heaven. I love the tradition and spirit of the game in England, the beautiful old grounds and the kinship England shares with Australia derived from 100 years of hard, but generally affectionate competition.

West Indies - I just love how the Windies play the game - the way champs like Lara and Viv bat and the way quicks like Ambrose and Marshall charged in. The game always seems more exciting and fun when the guys from the Caribbean are doing their stuff - I hope the team continues its current upswing and becomes a major power on the field in the near future.

Zimbabwe - given all the stuff that's happening in their home, I admire these guys for persisting in the game we love and for turning up - full stop!

The_Bunny

State Regular
Love the thread.

I have found a lot of respect for bermuda lately...
Their entire population is smaller than cricket playing comunity of alot of the other nations, and the cricketers that did come put everything into getting here.
All in all top effort from them :)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Australia - Bloody good, well-organised and passionate. Graceful victors on the most part as well.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
West Indies - admire the passion for the game over there, and the matchday atmosphere. Absolutely amazing compared to some of the grounds over here which are pretty dead.

India - similar to WI, really, although I think India's passion for the game is based more around an appreciation of talent and a love of great cricket, whereas in the WI it seems to be all about enjoying the game for what it is, no matter what the standard.

Bangladesh - admire the way the fans keep going to matches even though they know their team is probably going to get battered. Takes guts and passion to do that.

pasag

RTDAS
Hmm, one gets the feeling this won't go as long as the other, more negative ones, but good thread nonetheless.

Pakistan: Love the way they play on through the tough times. Constant crap going on around them yet they keep their heads up high and stay focused. Always smiling and cheerful as well.

India: Love the passion, the rich history, the fans, the media, the hopes disguised as cynicism and the general love for the sport, which may very well surpass any other nation.

England: Great side with great characters. Always a joy to watch them play, no matter how well they're doing. Total class and very graceful.

Will do others later, running out of words tbh.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Pasag said:
Pakistan: Love the way they play on through the tough times. Constant crap going on around them yet they keep their heads up high and stay focused. Always smiling and cheerful as well.
Was trying to form my words for Pakistan, but that will do nicely...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:laugh::lol::laugh::lol::laugh::lol: I was thinking that thread was getting utterly stupid - but it's just the way it goes, CW wouldn't be CW without a thread along those lines every 6 months or so.

Anyway, here's my bash...
Australia - only rarely not good at cricket, and have some great guys who post on here giving a good name to their fandom, too.
Bangladesh - not international class, but I do admire some of their fans for admirable perspective.
England - some guys, like me, accept the reality that England will rarely be the best for long, but do our utmost to enjoy the real successes when they come (like 1998, 2000+2000\01, 2004+2005, etc.)
India - brilliant batsmen, brilliant spinners, more fans than the rest of The World put together - about 5 times the number, IIRR... :wacko:
Kenya - do brilliantly for such a small cricket-culture country
New Zealand - our brothers-in-arms, with the incredible number of fans given how relatively out-populated the game is by other sports (which is the same in Britain).
Pakistan - cricket just wouldn't be cricket without the soap-opera that is the Pakistan team. I just love the way most of their fans seem to enjoy the fact that they have such spectacular ups-and-downs, too.
South Africa - first team I took any interest in besides England, always loved the way they play the game, and love it even better when they annoy people like Neil Pickup by being successful with it, as they do so often.
Sri Lanka - for such a small island, the talent that comes out is astonishing, and they're almost always there or thereabouts, and by all accounts one of the best places to tour, too.
West Indies - not dissimilar, really, with slight tweaks in various sentences.
Zimbabwe - a shame, crying shame, that Robert Mugabe has ruined the entire country, with nothing spared.

archie mac

International Coach
In my work I sometimes visit the homes of SL, Indian, Pakistani, or Bangladeshi people. Always enjoy it they almost always love cricket and have an opinion on everything. Always a surprise that they know so much about Aust greats such as Bradman and Trumper.

Once had a huge debate with a SL taxi driver, this was during the Murali/Hair tour, at the end of the trip he refused to take any money, saying that I was the first Australian that knew anything about cricket he had picked up:cool:

R_D

International Debutant
Australia- respect for the way they keep being professionals and winning match after match.. you'd think they'd be bored of winning by now :p

NZ- for producing such competitive outfit despite having a small cricket following.

SL- just love the way they play their cricket.

WI- Brian Lara.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Aside from watching a competitive Ashes contest (and that's purely froma traditional perspective), I dont think it gets any better that watching India or West Indies play at home - both sets of fans are so passionate that, even on television, the atmosphere is great.

Like Archie, I love the attitude of most Indian fans to cricket - live, eat, sleep it. Walking through some of their cities and feeling the sense of anticipation, joy or disappointment is a great experience.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Good thread.

Australia: Every nation in the world wishes they could perform like Australia. Always tough, gritty competitors. They have pride in their performances and always fight to the end.

India: Love the likes of Tendulkar and Dravid. So classy and so damn talented. The Indian fans are the almost the mirror images of their Pakistani counterparts, so I can't help but feel kinship with them. I will support India over any other team besides Pakistan.

West Indies: The legendary cricketers this country has produced is awe inspiring. WI have most of my favorite non-Pakistani players of all time in King Viv, Sobers, Marshal, and Lara.

FRAZ

International Captain
Srilanka : A great team , great players , passionate , have a great culture and they only counter sledge when it is extremely important .

Evermind

International Debutant
Only one good comment about SA, maaaaaaaan....

SA is astounding because of the sheer number of all-rounders they manage to produce. At some point, the team was batting to #9 or 10! Also good to see in the post-apartheid era that in spite of the quota system they've managed to find a balance to the team and managed to make it work to a great extent (not perfect, but acceptable). Imagine if the team had Pietersen and Strauss in it. :ph34r:

Craig

World Traveller
Only one good comment about SA, maaaaaaaan....

SA is astounding because of the sheer number of all-rounders they manage to produce. At some point, the team was batting to #9 or 10! Also good to see in the post-apartheid era that in spite of the quota system they've managed to find a balance to the team and managed to make it work to a great extent (not perfect, but acceptable). Imagine if the team had Pietersen and Strauss in it. :ph34r:
Imagine if the team didn't have Robbie Pieterson in it :ph34r: :mellow:

Does that count as a positive? :p

Evermind

International Debutant
Wonder where they got the real Leprechauns from! I thought they'd just get normal guys to dress up in tall hats and orange beards.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I love almost all countries that play cricket, tbh.

Australia - Their professional approach to everything is wonderful and off the field, these guys (the present bunch, have not had the opportunity to meet past teams) are some of the nicest you can hope to meet. Very down-to-earth, and always respectful of us fans eventhough we aren't even 1 millionth as talented as they are...

Windies The way they play their cricket is amazing. What is even more amazing is how much they know about the game. Indian journalists can cook lies like "no one can beat the average Indian in cricket knowledge" as many times as they want but truly speaking, I haven't seen more knowledgable crowds than the ones we get in the Windies. They know when batsman should be blocking and when they should be attacking and everything is applauded when done at the right time. I remember during the Barbados match of Lara, Lara got into a bit of a slanging match with McGrath and was just trying to hit him out of the attack, which could have gotten him out. Adams went down to have a word with him and when Lara defended the next ball, it was cheered more than any four or six he hit. THOSE are fans who know their cricket, not our mob-mentality guys who boo batters if they play 4 dot balls on the trot.

New Zealand - Love the attitude of the players and the way they combine as a team to constantly punch above their individual weights in terms of talent and results.

England- They invented the game and have one of the most sporting crowds when compared to around the world. 'nuff said.

South Africa - Love their gritty style and the way they methodically do stuff in cricket.

Sri Lanka and Pakistan and Bangladesh - Similar to India when it comes to passion for the game. Our neightbours as well. Love the way they play their cricket, Pakistan more than Sri Lanka because I think Pak is more about flair than Sri Lanka who are a little bit more methodical about it.

Zim - a tragedy, really.

Kenya, Bermuda and other associate nations - Love their enthusiasm for the game and hope it grows well in all these countries.

Last edited:

Fiery

Banned
New Zealand - Love the attitude of the players and the way they combine as a team to constantly punch above their individual weights in terms of talent and results.
mmm...I appreciate the compliment but always feel slightly patronised by it tbh...we've always been good at sport

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
mmm...I appreciate the compliment but always feel slightly patronised by it tbh...we've always been good at sport
I meant in terms of cricket, AND in the time of my watching which was after 1992. You've got to admit that in terms of individual talent, apart from Crowe and Cairns and Bond, you have had nothing stand out and yet, as a team, you guys have always been around the top 4. That is what I meant. No offence intended. :)