• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lara to play test in to his forties

dass

Banned
Looks like Lara would play test cricket for atleast another 4 or 5 years, good to know, hopefully he will the first to reach 50 test tons.

Lara set to play tests beyond 40
Web Posted - Wed Mar 14 2007
WEST Indies captain Brian Lara has announced he intends to extend his Test career into his forties.
Lara will definitely quit one-day internationals after the World Cup.

Im only 37, he said. A lot of players stretch their career into their forties. There's a lot of work to do to get West Indies cricket back on track". Lara has 11 953 Test runs to his name and 34 centuries, as well as the world record Test score of 400.

In addition, he has played 290 ODIs, scoring 10 136 runs and 19 hundreds.

However, Lara has seen his team decline from the most powerful team in world cricket when he first came into the side in 1990 to perennial strugglers in the Test arena.

And Lara told Sport magazine: Now is not the time to talk about details such as the infrastructure of the game and funding  that will come later.

"But all I can do is play my part on the field. What we have to do is create a greater number of match-winners and spread the responsibility".

"The team that wins the World Cup is going to be a team of players who can get themselves out of trouble if they lose their core performers".

"I'm quietly confident we can win it, and I think the players are confident of their ability to perform at such a huge event."

http://www.barbadosadvocate.com/NewViewNewsleft.cfm?Record=30298

pasag

RTDAS
Awesome news. I hate the media pressure and speculation on older players as soon as they hit 35 or whatever. It starts breeding doubt in their minds and must be pretty hard to handle.

simmy

International Regular
Good for Windies cricket IMO.

I have no problem watching one of the greatest players ever in his 40s!

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Nice, hopefully though his average doesn't drop to crazy level and he doesn't get remembered as an average cricketer. The only real drawback to playing well past your prime, you legacy might not be as great. Just have to look at players like Botham who played well past his prime. His record doesn't look as good as it could have been.

oz_fan

International Regular
Great news. Still one of the most entertaining players in world cricket. Like others have said hopefully his average doesn't suffer too much. As long as the cricketer wishes to continue playing and they're the best choice they should be picked no matter how old they are.

archie mac

International Coach
I hope he doesn't go on too long past his best, ala Viv, Botham, Donald etc

Still no reason why he can't keep his form, one of the all time greats:)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Meh, I hope he does go past his best if it means that West Indies will win more games than what they would if he wasn't in the team.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I agree with vic here; if he's still the best man for the job I say kudos for going on, regardless of whether it causes his average to decline slightly.

Hopefully cricket fans will be able to see there was more to the player than the brute statistics tell you, especially in the case of someone like BCL who has played the majority of his career in the age of multi-media coverage.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Awesome news. I hate the media pressure and speculation on older players as soon as they hit 35 or whatever. It starts breeding doubt in their minds and must be pretty hard to handle.
Agree entirely. One of the things in cricket I despise most.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
How is such a thing possible?
It's fairly obvious, I'd have thought. Say the 40-year-old BCL averages a creditable (but lower than his overall career average) 40 in tests from now until the end of his career & the alternate pick(s) average less. Lara has gone on past his best, but Lara on the slide is still better than any other alternative.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd classify "past his best" as not-that-good-any-more, myself.

Not take every individual case by itself. I'd say, personally, that Lara even now isn't too much different to how he ever has been - he's always had good spells and bad spells. I can see such a thing continuing for however long he wants to play.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nope.

I mean, there's being not-as-good-as-you-once-were and being "past your best".

I don't, personally, find the two to be the same.