• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lara to play test in to his forties

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Nope.

I mean, there's being not-as-good-as-you-once-were and being "past your best".

I don't, personally, find the two to be the same.
You're fundamanetally misunderstanding the nature of English then; they're absolutely synonymous. That isn't a cricketing debate, it's a linguistic one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Doosra used to be a basic linguistic term, too, and right\left-handed, and throw, and a million more besides.

Many things are alterered once they come to refer to something in the game of cricket (and sometimes sport in general).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Doosra used to be a basic linguistic term, too, and right\left-handed, and throw, and a million more besides.

Many things are alterered once they come to refer to something in the game of cricket (and sometimes sport in general).
Ok, but there's clear-water between accepted usage like "Doosra" or "throw" (although right- & left-handed mean the same thing in cricket as they do elsewhere AFAICS) & what you find things to mean.

"Past his best" does not mean the same thing as "not that good anymore" but it does mean the same thing as not as good as you once were. Past his best & not as good as you once were both imply that a player has seen better days but do not suggest (as not that good anymore does) that a player isn't worthy of playing tests anymore.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Right, "past his best" is anyone who is not at his absolute prime, which usually only lasts 2-5 years (unless your name is Courtney Walsh). That doesn't mean they are not useful.

Swervy

International Captain
Nice, hopefully though his average doesn't drop to crazy level and he doesn't get remembered as an average cricketer. The only real drawback to playing well past your prime, you legacy might not be as great. Just have to look at players like Botham who played well past his prime. His record doesn't look as good as it could have been.
as long as he is contributing to his teams performances it doesnt really matter if his average slips. He has already established himself as an alltime great.

its not about how good a record looks, its about the substance behind the record!!!!

DCC_legend

International Regular
Suppose if he is still getting the odd fifty or hundred (not too odd) then he has every right to continue playing into his forties.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
as long as he is contributing to his teams performances it doesnt really matter if his average slips. He has already established himself as an alltime great.

its not about how good a record looks, its about the substance behind the record!!!!
That's not true and you know it.

How many times have you argued with C_C about Botham?

C_C

International Captain
This is super news.
I think Lara should be able to play into his early 40s if the talented but inconsistent batting lineup surrounding him ( potentially, Gayle-Chandrapaul,Sarwan and Lara can be a hall-of-famer batting lineup) starts to deliver.
I don't think Lara will be motivated to play for long if the team isnt going anywhere. But things are looking promising for the west indies currently and i can see them returning to top 3 status before the next world cup.
This is good news for me in more ways than one. At the end of the day, Lara and Sachin are entwined too deeply. For most of their careers they've been the two indisputed top guys but lately they've had to take a backseat. I am hoping this can turn out like a Sampras-Agassi type rivalry. They already have the greatest respect for each other and maybe they can inspire each other to greater heights. Lara needs Sachin and Sachin needs Lara.
Hopefully Lara will get to 15,000 runs and 40+ century plateau and Sachin will follow suit.

Craig

World Traveller
Who else would replace him?

That would be impossible boots to fill. Climbing Mt Everest would be easier.

Fiery

Banned
Who else would replace him?

That would be impossible boots to fill. Climbing Mt Everest would be easier.
Once in a generation players like him are irreplaceable really. He has earned the right to retire whenever he likes. I'm sure he'll know when the right time is...it could come from a lean trot over a period of time or simply having had enough, but his attitude at this stage of his career is tremendous really. I've often thought too many guys retire simply because they've reached a certain age and it's the done thing.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Look its upto Lara to decide that how long he wants to play because there are no players pushing him for a place in the team atm, Lara's explanation for not retiring till his 40's is that he wants to help guiding West Indian cricket back to the top.

Fiery

Banned
Look its upto Lara to decide that how long he wants to play because there are no players pushing him for a place in the team atm, Lara's explanation for not retiring till his 40's is that he wants to help guiding West Indian cricket back to the top.
Which sounds like a pretty good reason and will win him kudos. I however don't quite buy that though as Lara has always looked after No.1...but good PR spin

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Which sounds like a pretty good reason and will win him kudos. I however don't quite buy that though as Lara has always looked after No.1...but good PR spin
except you dont know what his no.1 is....

Lara has played for his team as much as any other player has for his team and to call him selfish is just silly, at best.

Fiery

Banned
except you dont know what his no.1 is....

Lara has played for his team as much as any other player has for his team and to call him selfish is just silly, at best.
I didn't go as far as calling him "selfish" though hbh. You must admit, throughout his career he has not exactly been the quintessentially "team-player".

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There have been times when he has been perceived not to be, but there's far too much in the way of selfish accusations in cricket IMO. Cricket is a game where it's difficult to be selfish in, all things considered. "Selfish" accusations, as far as I'm concerned, are rarely anything more than an attempt to get something to talk about, eg Kevin Pietersen and Jacques Kallis.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Right, "past his best" is anyone who is not at his absolute prime, which usually only lasts 2-5 years (unless your name is Courtney Walsh). That doesn't mean they are not useful.
Brian Lara had two "prime" periods though. What does that make him?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I fully expect Lara to retire as soon as he's certain that his presence in the team does more harm than good. I don't expect that to happen for another year or so at least. I don't expect Lara to play into his 40s though.