• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Asia's natural game

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Because its dire, and as teams become more and more adapted to the subcontinental conditions, it will get harder and harder to keep that advantage. Teams are already playing us closer than every before, and its a matter of time.
IMO that has far more to do with India producing fewer proper turners of late than anyone else getting better on them.
Plus, I want some decent fast bowlers, thanks. You can have dominance at home and crap away. I'll take a more balanced approach any day of the week.
Such a thing has never, ever been part of the British make-up. Since WW1, we've been the team who've been the basket-cases often, but capable of stunningly brilliant stuff in between. India, on the other hand, (and Sri Lanka of late) have always been the home\away polarised team. And the team with the spinners instead of the seamers.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah, he's a fair hack is Gideon. Maybe a bit too elitest at times for mine, but still far and away the best writer at the moment IMO...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, he's a fair hack is Gideon. Maybe a bit too elitest at times for mine, but still far and away the best writer at the moment IMO...
Yeah? I've not managed to discern said elitism in any of the stuff I happen to have read?

Any online stuff that you could link to?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't remind me... :@
Mate, enjoy it. It's only a negative if you make it one. There's nothing wrong with having good spinners and no good seamers. Yeah, so it makes you a home\away team - so what?

I mean, most Pakistan fans tend to enjoy and have no wish to see the discontinuation of their team's mercurial nature - why would Indians want to see their own most discernible character trait cease?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Richard said:
Yeah? I've not managed to discern said elitism in any of the stuff I happen to have read?

Any online stuff that you could link to?
Nope, I have no evidence to hand to back my claims. I guess I've noticed it more in his appearances on the panel in the Offsiders tv show here in Australia than in his written work. And I should clarify by 'elitest' I mean in cricket fan-dom terms, not in a class sense. I've thought, admittedly only a few times, he's shown a little too much disdain for the opinion of the average punter who likes his cricket but doesn't necessarily live and breathe it 12 months a year, or always want to consider what they're watching against the broader sweep of history.

Now - there's nothing wrong with his deep knowledge and love of the game, but to divorce yourself too much from the immediacy of the interaction between game and audience is to lose something of the magic of the sport for me. To put it another way, I prefer to look at the game more in Gideon's terms, but don't think its right to look down upon what enjoyment others draw from the game because their understanding of the game doesn't quite meet my standards.

It's only a slight criticism because as I said I think he is, notwithstanding my complaint, the best cricket writer around.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
You guys need me more than I need you. You may not appreciate it now, or ever, but its still the truth. :p
Here let's try something. Later this year when India tour England, just for that series you can be an English fan. And if they win, and you like it, they get to keep you. :happy:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nope, I have no evidence to hand to back my claims. I guess I've noticed it more in his appearances on the panel in the Offsiders tv show here in Australia than in his written work. And I should clarify by 'elitest' I mean in cricket fan-dom terms, not in a class sense. I've thought, admittedly only a few times, he's shown a little too much disdain for the opinion of the average punter who likes his cricket but doesn't necessarily live and breathe it 12 months a year, or always want to consider what they're watching against the broader sweep of history.

Now - there's nothing wrong with his deep knowledge and love of the game, but to divorce yourself too much from the immediacy of the interaction between game and audience is to lose something of the magic of the sport for me. To put it another way, I prefer to look at the game more in Gideon's terms, but don't think its right to look down upon what enjoyment others draw from the game because their understanding of the game doesn't quite meet my standards.

It's only a slight criticism because as I said I think he is, notwithstanding my complaint, the best cricket writer around.
You'd probably say a similar thing about me, TBH.

I see what you're saying now you exemplify it. Maybe that's why I like his stuff so much. :)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
India do win - at home. Why suddenly start doing what you've not been doing for 70 years?
Because I don't really care as much about winning at home. It's been happening often enough. I want to win in places like England, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia (well that one won't happen in the next 70 years).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It'll happen eventually - once every generation or so - and you enjoy it when it does.

Don't get greedy, though.

Equally - any Brit expecting us to be the best team in The World for any length of time is expecting too much, being exceptionally greedy. Since WW1, Australia and West Indies, almost without fail, have been the best team in The World. That's just the way it is. I accept it. Indians should IMO accept (and enjoy) their own team's idiosyncracies.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It'll happen eventually - once every generation or so - and you enjoy it when it does.

Don't get greedy, though.

Equally - any Brit expecting us to be the best team in The World for any length of time is expecting too much, being exceptionally greedy. Since WW1, Australia and West Indies, almost without fail, have been the best team in The World. That's just the way it is. I accept it. Indians should IMO accept (and enjoy) their own team's idiosyncracies.
So I can look forward to watching our bowlers get thrashed for 500+ scores for the next 25 years every time they travel, except one time where something happens and they learn how to bowl properly for one game?

I can't wait. :dry:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But to offset that you've got the same sort of thing happening near enough every time someone tours India - and not to forget that there have been plenty of Indian batsmen who've been more than capable of responding in kind - if someone scores 500 against you, you might do something similar of times.

R_D

International Debutant
Because I don't really care as much about winning at home. It's been happening often enough. I want to win in places like England, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia (well that one won't happen in the next 70 years).
I reckon india got pretty good chance in aus this summer. They've been mostly troubled by McGrath and with him retiring, it'll be interesting to see how they go. Anil Kumble to run through the aussies in Sydney and are india playing adelaide ? (not sure).. if they are kumble to get 10 for in both matches and lead india to memorable 2-1 series win. Aus to win in melbourne because everytime i go to a india match they lose :(.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
But to offset that you've got the same sort of thing happening near enough every time someone tours India - and not to forget that there have been plenty of Indian batsmen who've been more than capable of responding in kind - if someone scores 500 against you, you might do something similar of times.
Except what is wrong in hoping that your team improves? I've seen flat track bullies bat plenty of times. Now I want a genuine fast bowler.