• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Twenty20 event in Canada...eh!....Pak, WI, Can, SL

Kriketer

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Toronto set to host Twenty20 event -- Posted Monday, March 12 2007

With a limited amount of Twenty20 internationals scheduled for 2007 Pakistan have arranged a four team tournament in Toronto in August as preparation for the inaugural Twenty20 World Cup.

The tournament scheduled to take place in Toronto over the Labour Day weekend at the end of August will involve hosts Canada and Test Nations Pakistan, Sri Lanka and the West Indies.

The inaugural Twenty20 World Cup takes place in South Africa at the end of September and with only two games set to be played before the World Cup all three Test Nations will be anxious to play as many games as possible.

The format of the tournament will see each team play four games, three in the group stages and then one further game in either the Grand Final or the 3rd place play off.

The Twenty20 World Cup will take place with only 14 Twenty20 Internationals completed in the previous two years, the West Indies and Sri Lanka will go into the World Cup with the most experience having played 7 Twenty20 Internationals followed by England and Pakistan having played a game less.

While some teams have got to grips with the shortest form of the game India, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe will have only played one Twenty20 game, even more concerning Scotland and Kenya who qualified from the ICC's World Cricket League Division 1 tournament will have never played a Twenty20 International against a Test Nation until the World Cup starts in September.

Whilst the tournament is being used as a pre World Cup warm-up all four countries competing are also very keen to help promote cricket in North America, Tony Deyal, WICB's Corporate Manager, told cricket20 that the WICB are committed to provide support to the Canadian and US crickets associations.

"The WICB is committed to cricket in North America and have signed MOUs with the Canadian and US associations to provide support. Additionally, we need to improve our own financial position. One of the ways to do both - a win/win for all parties - is to promote high-level cricket entertainment in both countries."

"The timing of the Canadian event is perfect - a long holiday weekend (August 31 - September 3) two weeks before the first ever ICC Twenty20 World Cup with Pakistan, Sri Lanka, West Indies and Canada is going to be our first major joint venture and will be a template for further promotions."

"On the Thanksgiving weekend in November we wll be promoting an Internatinal Sixes Tournament in Lauderhill to open the world's newest cricket venue."

Toronto SCCC looks likely to host the Twenty20 tournament.

The WICB is committed to cricket in North America and have signed MOUs with the Canadian and US cricket associations.

Tony Deyal
WICB Corporate Manager

http://www.canadacricket.com/cgi-bin/coranto/viewnews.cgi?id=EEZFyAAVFFUkKjHbSh

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Sounds good. Also Im happier that Pakistan and WICB are involved rather than a 3rd party invester, as these things have a habit of being a financial faux pas if not properly run.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Exactly what Cricket in Canada needs, and I can prove it.... Although a lot of you will disagree, a quicker version of the game is maybe what is needed to tempt the Canadian audience. It will boost the image of Cricket in Canada, showing they are indeed interested in getting involved in not only playing but even hosting tournaments like this. Canada will get to see the real cricketing superstars... Inzi, Jayasuria, and Chris Gayle all in Toronto, and should help the younger generation appreciate it. Or something. If Canada were to beat one of the three bigwigs, it would really draw in a few more Canadians to the game

Ive been writing essays all week so sorry if that sounds like one.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Damn no India :(.

Oh well, I might go to watch a Canada game. Cheer them on, be one of the 4-5 Canadian supporters at the venue :cool:.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Damn no India :(.

Oh well, I might go to watch a Canada game. Cheer them on, be one of the 4-5 Canadian supporters at the venue :cool:.
To be fair if I was in Canada (Well, Toronto), I would be watching that tournament, no two ways about it.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmm...approximately a 10 hour drive for me to Toronto. Might be worth if I can sleep in Turb's lawn :ph34r:
Haha, nah, you're welcome to takeover my room... as long as you don't use the term "mate". :p

EDIT: I'll add in a free CN Tower tour, if I can keep your Avalon.

Last edited:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Haha, nah, you're welcome to takeover my room... as long as you don't use the term "mate". :p

EDIT: I'll add in a free CN Tower tour, if I can keep your Avalon.
You really think I'm driving my 20 MPG Avalon to Toronto?! I'll borrow someone's Geo Metro, tbh. :p

BTW, is that a serious offer about the room? :ph34r:

FRAZ

International Captain
Where will I sleep?!

I forgot FRAZ lives in Toronto as well.
My basement just has Rods , weights , A ping pong table , washer, dryer and a seperate room with an exhaust for eny fellow who do want to smoke but hates to go in cold outside !

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
My basement just has Rods , weights , A ping pong table , washer, dryer and a seperate room with an exhaust for eny fellow who do want to smoke but hates to go in cold outside !
Oh yea well mine has cricket, baseball, and tennis equipment, weights, a cardio machine, boxes, books, a broken bed, 2 bicycles, ping pong table, a scooter, poles, washer, dryer, bunch of board games, a black table, a small fridge, a wash basin, a headboard, and a bunch of dirty laundry.

Beat that :happy: .

EDIT: Oh and we're thinking of making a home theatre in the basement, so we might get furniture and move our big screen TV down in the basement. This way, NP can always watch some TV if he's bored or can't sleep.

Last edited: