• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand Youth

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Here is just a few youngsters floating around the NZ first class scene. These guys all played in the last round. It wasnt so long ago that you had an Auckland team that resmbled dads army, with Richardson, Horne, Walmsley, Barnes, and Jones. But now the opposite seems to have happened.

Highlighted most by this kid. Corey Anderson..he has just turned 16 and played for Canterbury today picking up his first wicket by bowling Jamie How. He was clocked at 138kph, in that fast bowling challenge, a week ago. A lefty apperently.
He opened the bowling with Hamish Bennett, a right arm, fast bowler, 20
Todd Astle opened the Batting in that same game for Canterbury and he is also 20.

Northern Districts played these young guys..
T Davis ,, Right arm fast bowler, 21
T Southee Right arm medium fast bowler, 18
BJ Watling Opening batsman, 21
B Wilson Opening batsman 21

And Auckland played these guys
C Cachopa Right hand batsman 20
M Guptill Right hand batsman 20
C De Grandhomme Right hand batsman 20

It wasnt so long ago that i was complaining about the old guys around NZ domestic cricket that were taking up space and had little chance of making the NZ team, but now it seems to have gone the other way.

NZ only has 6 teams so this amount of youngsters will have an impact. Im glad we gat to see some of the youngsters have a go though.

thierry henry

International Coach
Poor form not mentioning Roneel Hira. Definitely a better 20 year old left arm orthodox bowler than anyone who posts on this forum :ph34r:

Sw1fty

School Boy/Girl Captain
Here is just a few youngsters floating around the NZ first class scene. These guys all played in the last round. It wasnt so long ago that you had an Auckland team that resmbled dads army, with Richardson, Horne, Walmsley, Barnes, and Jones. But now the opposite seems to have happened.

Highlighted most by this kid. Corey Anderson..he has just turned 16 and played for Canterbury today picking up his first wicket by bowling Jamie How. He was clocked at 138kph, in that fast bowling challenge, a week ago. A lefty apperently.
He opened the bowling with Hamish Bennett, a right arm, fast bowler, 20
Todd Astle opened the Batting in that same game for Canterbury and he is also 20.

Northern Districts played these young guys..
T Davis ,, Right arm fast bowler, 21
T Southee Right arm medium fast bowler, 18
BJ Watling Opening batsman, 21
B Wilson Opening batsman 21

And Auckland played these guys
C Cachopa Right hand batsman 20
M Guptill Right hand batsman 20
C De Grandhomme Right hand batsman 20

It wasnt so long ago that i was complaining about the old guys around NZ domestic cricket that were taking up space and had little chance of making the NZ team, but now it seems to have gone the other way.

NZ only has 6 teams so this amount of youngsters will have an impact. Im glad we gat to see some of the youngsters have a go though.
Tim Southee & BJ Watling are definitely good prospects, not so sure with Davis as he seems to get injured often.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
TBH if i was NZ i would import some Nepal youngsters, they're better then any Kiwi youngsters will ever be. Im sure Tim will agree with me. :p

Natman20

International Debutant
Interesting to see Southee not only do well with the ball in the recent match but also score 75* off 47 balls in a first-class game. Could be a good prospect.

Woodster

International Captain
What do you think will be the process will the pick of these youngsters with regards international recognition. Will they continue to appear only in domestic cricket for the foreseeable future, the next 12-18 months at least, or are any capable of cutting it if they were thrown into an ODI before then ?

Natman20

International Debutant
I think a few of them will be thrown in the deep end to get experience after the world cup. That is depending on possible retirements though.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think we'll see any players selected while they're still teenagers. New Zealand's selectors are very nervous about that after they tried throwing Chris Cairns into the deep end at 19 and he sunk like a stone. We might see Te Ahu Davis soon, if he can stay fit for a prolonged period of time, and take wickets consistently, as he's one of the few fast bowling options in the country. The rest though, I don't think we'll see for at least 2 or 3 seasons, given the current solidity in our batting and bowling lineups.

Fiery

Banned
I don't think we'll see any players selected while they're still teenagers. New Zealand's selectors are very nervous about that after they tried throwing Chris Cairns into the deep end at 19 and he sunk like a stone.
Daniel Vettori is a fairly notable exception to this Bahnz

Natman20

International Debutant
If Vettori wasnt picked then, he wouldnt be as classy as he is now because he wouldn't have had the right level of experience.

Last edited: