• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand Youth

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Daniel Vettori is a fairly notable exception to this Bahnz
Actually I was more thinking of it from a physical point of view. Most players aren't really ready for the strain of an international cricket player until at least their ealy 20's. I think New Zealand handled Ross Taylor quite nicely, bringing him in when he was 22/23. But a lot of New Zealand's great players were rushed in when they were 18/19 (Cairns, Crowe, Vettori), and quickly succumbed to injury. Even Vettori after a couple of seasons, broke down with a serious stress fracture, which has forced him to remodel his action and lose a lot of his old turn.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It's amazing going back and looking at Vettori's action compared to now. He's really developed a heap as a bowler.

Fiery

Banned
It's amazing going back and looking at Vettori's action compared to now. He's really developed a heap as a bowler.
Yep, he has had to continually adapt to the physical restraints of his body (due to injury) and has done it pretty well. He's a champion, and will take over the captaincy from Stephen Fleming (when he retires) and continue to be a champion until he retires... very intelligent and talented cricketer.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
TBH, I don't think the injury has had all that much to do with it.

Was watching him bowl vs Australia in early 2000, in New Zealand, and even though he took a heap of poles (12 for the match, I think) his front arm did nothing, he was a lot lazier through the crease. He'd have the odd good series, and then go badly after that. However, now he's a lot taller at delivery point, his front arm is really high and pulls him through. He's got a very easy, repeatable action - something which wasn't there beforehand, leading (IMO) to a lot of his troubles.

Fiery

Banned
TBH, I don't think the injury has had all that much to do with it.

Was watching him bowl vs Australia in early 2000, in New Zealand, and even though he took a heap of poles (12 for the match, I think) his front arm did nothing, he was a lot lazier through the crease. He'd have the odd good series, and then go badly after that. However, now he's a lot taller at delivery point, his front arm is really high and pulls him through. He's got a very easy, repeatable action - something which wasn't there beforehand, leading (IMO) to a lot of his troubles.
Well-observed thoughts on left-arm_orthodox from vic_orthodox