• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

PCB bans English !!!

FRAZ

International Captain
The Pakistan Cricket Board have banned their players from speaking English at World Cup news conferences due to the media regularly misquoting players.

Pakistan Press Liaison Officer Pervez Mir said the players would now only speak Urdu which he says would also promote tourism in Pakistan with 2007 being National Tourist Year.

Mir gave the example of Danish Kaneria saying "It happens" when referring to the gas leak at their hotel last week, but when reported it came out as "It happens at home as well".

Pakistan start their World Cup campaign by playing the West Indies in the opening match of the tournament at Sabina Park in Jamaica on 13th March.

by James Nixon

:laugh: :laugh: Don't know if this should be in the World cup forum or the humour forum . I think this law is not just bound to the world cup ....
job well done PCB ........

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It seems to make sense. Ive no doubt it will not stay this way throughout the tournament but it seems a justifiable reason.

FRAZ

International Captain
Yup but hats off to some players and myself too .They atleast try to speak the thing .

pup11

International Coach
I think their is too much emphasis on speaking in English in cricket just have a look at the soccer players there are so many of them who talk to the media in their own local languages so i would say its a fair enough decision from the PCB.

But got to add it should not be compulsive for every Pakistani player, the ones who are comfortable speaking in English should go ahead and speak in English.

biased indian

International Coach
it would be even better if BCCI Say some thing like this

the following players will be talking in following language

Sachin,Agarkar,Munaf --> Marathi
MS Dhoni,Sehwag --> Hindi
Sourav Ganguly --> Bengali
Harbhajan Singh,Yuvraj --> Punjabi
Dinesh Karthik --> Tamil
Zaheer Khan,Irfan Pathan --> Gujarati
Kumble,Dravid,uthappa --> Kannada
Sreesanth --> Malayalam

the press would have been in lot of trouble :)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
it would be even better if BCCI Say some thing like this

the following players will be talking in following language

Sachin,Agarkar,Munaf --> Marathi
MS Dhoni,Sehwag --> Hindi
Sourav Ganguly --> Bengali
Harbhajan Singh,Yuvraj --> Punjabi
Dinesh Karthik --> Tamil
Zaheer Khan,Irfan Pathan --> Gujarati
Kumble,Dravid,uthappa --> Kannada
Sreesanth --> Malayalam

the press would have been in lot of trouble :)
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Matt79

Global Moderator
After Ponting's trouble having retorted to Gavaskar, Cricket Australia has now issued a statement formalising what largely already occurs, ruling that all Australian players will only give interviews in cliches.

Citing the example of Ponting's criticism of India's performances, CA suits stated that it would not have been an issue if Ponting had responded in the cliches that Australian sportsmen are often more comfortable conversing in. "All he had to say was that "we're working hard, and hope to take the tournament one game at a time" and everything would have been ok", one executive noted. Asked about the impact this ruling would have on the Australian team's ability to communicate with fans, the same source replied, "I think cricket is the winner." ;)

Langeveldt

Soutie
After Ponting's trouble having retorted to Gavaskar, Cricket Australia has now issued a statement formalising what largely already occurs, ruling that all Australian players will only give interviews in cliches.

Citing the example of Ponting's criticism of India's performances, CA suits stated that it would not have been an issue if Ponting had responded in the cliches that Australian sportsmen are often more comfortable conversing in. "All he had to say was that "we're working hard, and hope to take the tournament one game at a time" and everything would have been ok", one executive noted. Asked about the impact this ruling would have on the Australian team's ability to communicate with fans, the same source replied, "I think cricket is the winner." ;)
God the Australians are the worst.. At the end of the day, the boys are pretty confidant about being able to rant confidently.. But we'll just have to see how things go, the lads are pretty fired up..

I didn't like the way Inzamam and Younis Khan were forced to speak English in SA.. Their English isn't that strong and its not really fair on them that they have to give a post match conference to the world in a language that clearly doesnt come naturally to them..

Fusion

Global Moderator
I didn't like the way Inzamam and Younis Khan were forced to speak English in SA.. Their English isn't that strong and its not really fair on them that they have to give a post match conference to the world in a language that clearly doesnt come naturally to them..
True, but at the same time I don't like the complete ban on English either. If a player feels comfortable enough speaking in English, then let him do so. English is the universal language in the press. Incidentally, one of the things being taught in the National Academy at Lahore is....English.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Poor lossers.It's probably aboutthe Daryl Hair case.(Which Inzi did.)
Unnecessary. And there's no link between this decision and the Hair fiasco.
I'm still not getting this... is this to stop misinterpretations?
Yes. I'd guess from both sides - the media when having to use "broken" English for their reports, and the players whom may slip up or not fully comprehend what they're being asked.

MiRPuRi ExPreSS

Cricket Spectator
About time. Whats the point of them talking in broken English and saying things they dont mean to say and causing unnecessary problems for the PCB and side as a whole. Players should be responsible enough themselves. If they like giving interviews, then learn the language, otherwise give them in urdu, or any language in which they are fluent